Gilded Tarot - The Devil

PAMUYA

The Devil:

I am working my through the Major Arcana and what they mean to me. Would like to know your thoughts on this card of the Devil.

“The Devil made me do it” This is a card that grabs your attention. From the traditional Rider/Waite Devil with it’s chained male and female figures, to Ciro”s seductive male figure wearing a mask. Even I am tempted to jump into the flames of desire. Temptations are in all of us, a devil is born.

This card is about temptation, obsession, and addictions, whether to drugs, alcohol, food, sex, manipulation of others, painful relationship, perfection, smoking…the list is endless. We experience these “bad” habits followed by feelings of guilt, an endless cycle. This is not a force that attacks from the outside, but one that devours us from within. This is the Devil.

This card warns us that we are not in control, sometimes as a result of our own actions, but mainly as a result of inaction on our part. If you allow someone to exploit you, they probably will…but no one has power over you unless you give them that power.

Ignorance, greed and materialism are tools of the Devil. You become a slave to your desires. Focus too much on possessions and you lose your spiritual side, losing energy and creativity. Temptation is powerful, we must learn and accept that it is a part of life; we must face it head on, never giving in. That is how you break free from your Devil.

Your Devil limits you from seeing possibilities, making you feel helpless and unworthy. Your Devils power rests in the illusion that nothing else exists. Your Devil cannot exist without you…there is no Devil except for the one that you create. It’s your Choice.

Direct. Addition, obsessions, not enough time/money, tied down, lack of change, destructive influences, unsatisfactory relationship, lust, ignorance, violence, perversion, Karmic bond.

Reversed: Breaking away, making changes, gaining freedom, enlightenment, divorce, handicaps overcome.

Luned

When I've had this card come up, I'm always drawn to that solid mask. You're about to be sucked into something and you won't even see it coming - you might be making a choice, but you're not seeing the consequences and alternatives at all. How can you turn away from the fire and find a true light?

Teacups

if the devil were ugly, everyone would see him for what he is, but he's attractive, enticing, fun, alluring, a chameleon that changes that appears to be whatever it is you're looking for... or whatever you think you need. He is bait for the trap. You walked right into the trap...yes. Your own choice to just walk right in... and yet.... do you know it's a trap? probably not until you're on that leash and tied up tight. What's it going to cost you to get out... if you CAN still get out? Freedom does come with a cost. Even the cost of freedom is deceptive, maybe you don't want to pay it because the price SEEMS too dear, but many have found upon looking back that the price was well worth it, and small by comparison to the value of freedom and lessons learned.

northsea

Why is the Gilded Devil pentacle upright?

amethyst57

think it's that way to represent human nature or the elements....

Gemini68

This card had been consistently showing up in my readings. I felt it was telling me that something had too much control over me..... I have no addictions so to speak, but did play Internet games which I quit almost a month ago, cold turkey. The card has not appeared since.
I don't necessarily see the card in a negative light as much as I see it as advice to look within ourselves and question if we are spending too much time on one thing at the expense of where our resources should be being applied.

PAMUYA

This card had been consistently showing up in my readings. I felt it was telling me that something had too much control over me..... I have no addictions so to speak, but did play Internet games which I quit almost a month ago, cold turkey. The card has not appeared since.
I don't necessarily see the card in a negative light as much as I see it as advice to look within ourselves and question if we are spending too much time on one thing at the expense of where our resources should be being applied.

The Devil could be telling you that delusions are beginning to form. Meaning you are making mountains out of molehills. Either fantasing and making more than what is there, or demonizing someone or something, making them a "demon" in your eyes. You are not seeing the world as it is, your filters are getting stronger. If you get attached to these delusions it will only cause you suffering.

DoreeninFl

The Devil Card

I am very new to the Tarot, so bear with me. The two new posts give totally different views on what the card means. So, the cards mean different things to different readers..is that right? How do you know if what you think you see in the card is correct? Thanks!

PAMUYA

I am very new to the Tarot, so bear with me. The two new posts give totally different views on what the card means. So, the cards mean different things to different readers..is that right? How do you know if what you think you see in the card is correct? Thanks!
Books can only teach you the basic meanings, and depending on the authors or the artist of the cards these meanings can vary greatly. It is up to the reader to define or focus in on what it is telling them...intuition. Some people can tap into it better than others. Yes, the cards can mean different things to different readers. The two post were not completely different, one viewed the client having issues with the devil(meaning the problem was within), and other viewed someone else being the devil(someone outside of themselves). It all depends on the question and the surrounding cards. Here at this forum we are coming from different backgrounds, we are all students, I have been reading cards for over 40 years, my views come from actual readings I have had in the past. Others here love to study the cards for personal use, never really giving readings to others, they have learned their meanings from books and online. There is no right or wrong. You must take what feel "right" to you. If a card means X to you and Y to me, that does not mean either of us are wrong. We are all here to take what we can out of eachothers experiences. Although you are a beginner you may see something new and exciting, something I have missed because I am old and set in my ways, you can teach me, as much as I can teach you. Keep an open mind and heart, don't let the Devil blind you with your opinions. ;) Something I must keep reminding myself. Reading cards is not a fad, it is a life style to me. It will take time to understand, take it one step at time. Good luck to you :heart:

annik

When I see this card, it always had been in the context of being careful about something (waiteline, allergies, meeting a sweet talker or other weirdness...). Usually, it makes me realize there may be some excess or that I am looking my grip on something (to get less vigilent, in a way).