Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

kabang

Magna Veritas. Hands down, the only deck in my collection that I genuinely regret spending money on.

On the other hand, I can't bring myself to sell it, even though I get irritated every time I see it. :confused:

Miss Divine

I have a few I regretted buying. They're listed in my profile in the list ''decks passed on''.

There are still a couple in my collection which I don't care for. Just to name a few:
Original Rider Waite...I just don't like the drawings and colors, I think it looks harsh (and butt ugly).

True Love Tarot...Don't like the cardstock, and the minors are just terrible and boring. Must say the majors are lovely.

Mystic Dreamer...Nice artwork, awful borders. This poor deck is so neglected because of this.

I'm sure there are a few more...

Greg Stanton

Miss Divine, I agree that a perfectly good deck can be ruined by the borders. I LOVE Tarot of the Witches - but the borders are goofy.

Also, just about every deck published by Lo Scarabeo is ruined by modern, multi-lingual borders. They sometimes commission great artwork (like the Bosch tarot), and then totally ruin the effect with these inappropriate, ugly-colored borders and cheezy computerized typefaces. The sterling exception is Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot — but every other LS deck I've owned I've ended up giving away.

HighPriestess

I wish I hadn't bought the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, the Art of Tarot, and this other generic tarot deck that I randomly bought at a novelty store.

The two tarot decks have non-scenic minors, and I hate non-scenic minors with a passion, the books also gave incredibly simplistic meanings since they were probably intended to be for beginners. The artwork for the unnamed deck was very colourful, though, and I think that's what drew me to purchase it.

As for the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, I took it out of its box and was like: "WTF is this??? How do I read with it???" I thought the colours seemed very washed out and the images made absolutely no sense to me.

So now, all three decks are in a bag with the books I intend to donate to a nearby used bookstore. I don't think they'll take the decks, but I just didn't want them taking up shelf space in my room anymore.

Krystal

Miss Divine

Greg Stanton said:
Miss Divine, I agree that a perfectly good deck can be ruined by the borders. I LOVE Tarot of the Witches - but the borders are goofy.

Also, just about every deck published by Lo Scarabeo is ruined by modern, multi-lingual borders.

Yep, I hate those multi-lingual borders too. That's why I recently trimmed Magical Forest. That deck is actually gorgeous now.

tarotberry

While I have a few decks that I don't love but let stick around, the few that I actually regret are:

The Druidcraft - Ugh. Ginormous feet and floppy nudity. Nooooooo. The Princess of Swords makes a lovely bookmark but the rest are not for me.

Deviant Moon - I wanted it because everyone else did. I think there's a lesson there...

Osho Zen - Too vast and spiritual for me. Didn't come across as practical advice...I'm not even sure what happened to this deck. Really. I had it one day and then I didn't. Hmph. Tarot gnomes?

AnneLien

tarotberry said:
While I have a few decks that I don't love but let stick around, the few that I actually regret are:

The Druidcraft - Ugh. Ginormous feet and floppy nudity. Nooooooo. The Princess of Swords makes a lovely bookmark but the rest are not for me.

Deviant Moon - I wanted it because everyone else did. I think there's a lesson there...

Osho Zen - Too vast and spiritual for me. Didn't come across as practical advice...I'm not even sure what happened to this deck. Really. I had it one day and then I didn't. Hmph. Tarot gnomes?

Yes I have problems too with the druidcraft. Those feet my god :eek:
The women in this deck are lik men. I'm trying to like it as much as others do, but it's just not working for me.

The Osho zen was the worst deck I ever bought, got rid of it!

Vesper

HighPriestess said:
As for the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, I took it out of its box and was like: "WTF is this??? How do I read with it???" I thought the colours seemed very washed out and the images made absolutely no sense to me.

So now, all three decks are in a bag with the books I intend to donate to a nearby used bookstore. I don't think they'll take the decks, but I just didn't want them taking up shelf space in my room anymore.

Krystal

Hang on to that Oracle of the Radient Sun. It's out of print and there are people out there who want it. Make a star next to it on your deck list, in your profile, indicating it's up for trade. Or join Trade Train: they're lots of fun.

I'm so relieved to hear that there is at least one person who doesn't love the Magnas Veritas. I considered it briefly, but it was just too similar to the Rider Waite, and I couldn't find it in me to plonk down the cash.

I have a couple of decks right now in my cart at Amazon that I think may end up on my Wish I Hadn't Bought list. It's the only thing that's stopping me from hitting the Check Out button. They're both very new, so maybe I'll wait six months or so, when they start showing up on the Used section.

bilberrywaffle

Miss Divine said:
Yep, I hate those multi-lingual borders too. That's why I recently trimmed Magical Forest. That deck is actually gorgeous now.

Those borders ruined that deck for me too. I'm still searching for the original chinese publication, because it seems like those borders compliment the artwork more. Only, its pretty difficult to find.

Miss Divine

bilberrywaffle said:
Those borders ruined that deck for me too. I'm still searching for the original chinese publication, because it seems like those borders compliment the artwork more. Only, its pretty difficult to find.

Trust me when I say it looks gorgeous now:);)

Just take the plunge and trim it, you won't regret it.