Historians - 1702 French Book with chapter on Tarot?

josefskye

i am a total newbie at Tarot, so forgive my ignorance here.... I saw this on Ebay, - eBay item number:282334270681. It is a french book "1702 Book of Games RARE Maison Academique cards chess tarot FULL LEATHER La Haye."
The seller describes it as....
"full contemporary early 18th century leather binding
includes rare instructions for the games of Taro & Triumph
also accurate explanations of many other games
includes: pique, billiard, pall mall, chess, game of war, tricque trac, l'hombre, etc.
published A La Haye
chez Jacob van Elinckuysen, marchand librarie, dans le hal-straet, au dauphin
M DCC II
red morocco spine label
gilt ornamentation on spine
chapters with decorated letter initials
title pages for each of major games
embroidered headers
complete 2 parts in one volume
405 pages
book dimensions: 14 cm X 14 cm
---

from my amateur readings, it seemed that most people have stated that the first written info on using the Tarot is much later, around 1790? So would that make this historically very significant, as there appears to be a chapter about the rules of Tarot cards? Unfortunately it is too expensive for me to purchase...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 766
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 759
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 779
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 779

Huck

i am a total newbie at Tarot, so forgive my ignorance here.... I saw this on Ebay, - eBay item number:282334270681. It is a french book "1702 Book of Games RARE Maison Academique cards chess tarot FULL LEATHER La Haye."

from my amateur readings, it seemed that most people have stated that the first written info on using the Tarot is much later, around 1790? So would that make this historically very significant, as there appears to be a chapter about the rules of Tarot cards? Unfortunately it is too expensive for me to purchase...

First use of Tarot as a tool for divination is from the 1780s.

First game rules (Tarot as a card game) are from 1637. The "Maison Academique rule books" started in 1654.
http://www-bsg.univ-paris1.fr/ExposVirtuelles/exposvirtuellesreserves/jeu/jeucompile.htm

I think, that the first version didn't contain Tarot rules (?). The 1659 edition contained them, as far I know.

josefskye

Book

Thanks all, that was very helpful!