Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - Ace of Wands

Sulis

I love this card.

Against an deep orange background we see a wand with 2 small leaves on it.
The wand appears to be standing in a fire and on either side of the wand are 2 salamanders.
Across the top of the card we see some flowers and the astrological fire signs of Aeries Leo and Saggitarius.

The salamander makes its home in the dead wood often used to fuel a fire. When the wood is thrown into the fire the Salamander, quite sensibly leaves the fire and runs to safety.
Because they are often seen leaving fires, it is thought that salamanders can withstand fire and are even born from fire.
They are symbols of endurance and of courage as it seems as if they can't easily be destroyed, even by fire.

The Ace of Wands to me is a card of new beginnings (as are all the Aces) but also about transformation and change.
Fire changes things in a very dramatic way, it offers the energy of transformation - burn stuff down and start again.
I really like the element of endurance that the salamanders give this card, it came up in a reading I did the other day and it told me that the person I was reading for had gone through a lot but that they had survived and emerged transformed, reborn from the fire of their experience and there was now the potential to change....

I'd be interested to know what the flowers are and if they have any significance to this card - I don't have the book to go with this deck.

Attachments

• Ace of Wands.jpg
    Ace of Wands.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 684

Papageno

Sulis said:
I love this card.

The Ace of Wands to me is a card of new beginnings (as are all the Aces) but also about transformation and change.
Fire changes things in a very dramatic way, it offers the energy of transformation - burn stuff down and start again.
I really like the element of endurance that the salamanders give this card, it came up in a reading I did the other day and it told me that the person I was reading for had gone through a lot but that they had survived and emerged transformed, reborn from the fire of their experience and there was now the potential to change....

I'd be interested to know what the flowers are and if they have any significance to this card - I don't have the book to go with this deck.

try and get the book, it's very good.
this is a great card.

yes, emerging transformed. what we were saying before on the 8/cups thread the caduceus of Hermes and it's origin as the staff of Tiresias (transformed into a woman for 7 years :bugeyed:)

I'll look up the book tonight and see if there's any mention of the flowers.

WooMonkey

I love the colors and sense of movement on this card. Especially the rising flames. The salamanders seem to be dancing in celebration!

Sulis, I have a copy of the little 64 page book that came with the smaller box set. It has some brief explanations of the symbols on the majors, and even briefer ones on the minors. (I couldn't find what the flowers were) PM me if you're interested and I can send it to you.

:) Woo!

Enchanted

Sulis said:

I really like that! :)

I have a question on the book. I have a small book that came with the deck and fits inside the box, is this the book that you are referring to or is there a larger more comprehensive one? The small book I have doesn't mention the flowers, sorry. They look to me like a kind of lily because of the (I want to say stamens but I'm not sure that is the right term) the dangling bits from the centre of the open flowers. I would have to look up what lilies represent as I don't recall, if that is indeed what they are.

The salamanders on this card look energetic, and playful, ready to go, poking their tongues out.

Again we have the symmetry in this card, with the salamanders looking like mirror images of one another which made me think of recognising your potential.

I looked at the astrological symbols on the cards as ways to "use" the power of the Ace, the raw potential.

Aries: zest, energetic power... the warrior.
Leo: strength, assertive power... the leader.
Sagittarius: optimism, dynamic power... the adventurer.

That is kind of rudimentary but I think you could take it quite far, depending on which symbol (if any) was seeming to be more significant in a reading, or another card with a similar astrological connection.

Sulis

Yes more symmetry, it really is a theme with this deck :)

Enchanted I love what you have to say about the astrological glyphs... To tell the truth I usually just ignore them because my knowledge of astrology is minimal to say the least :)

WooMonkey and Enchanted, I have the 64 page book (a big little white book) that came with the cards. I think that this deck is available with a larger book though as part of a deck / book set- that's the one that Papageno is talking about in his post. I think it is a little more detailed than the very small book (which is very good for a little white book).

Enchanted

Thanks for clearing that up about the book. I just have the small 64 page one as well.

Little Baron

Firstly, I have never seen a larger book or set. Keep us posted on that.

Secondly, this group's enthusiasm is wonderful to see. Keep it up!

Lastly, I have little to say about the card which hasn't already been said. But I do always see a sexual slant within the Wand suit. I see it as passion and urge. And with the initial single wand being phallic in appearance, these little salamandas do seem to be warming it up with their little dance and keeping it alive [hehe]. In that, I can see the primary urge that comes with sexual and passionate arousal when I look at this card. It is almost like lighting a match. Or like some kind of 'heating up session' in Voodoo, before bringing down the spirits.

This card really is hot, isn't it. Expecially in colour and tempo. You can feel it's heat. It is the card of the pubesant boy [hehe]; a woman's drive to perform on stage. For me, it is a card that burns up and starts the fire. It has such drive and force.

I find the Wand suit the hardest to understand in tarot, so hopefully, the others in this deck will follow on and unfold as simplistically.

LB

WooMonkey

Sulis said:
I think that this deck is available with a larger book though as part of a deck / book set- that's the one that Papageno is talking about in his post.

There is a bigger book that came with a set when the deck was renamed "Secret Tarot". It has more on interpreting the cards, spreads, and a pairing of the major arcana. I don't think it explains the symbols any more than the little book, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Tarot-...8083346?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182922843&sr=1-1

Is this the one you meant Sulis? :)

Bernice

Books for the Renaissance tarot - by Jane Lyle

Found several books about this tarot written by Jane Lyle. here's one tiltle:

"The Renaissance Tarot: Legends of the Past Now Reveal the Future"

There's a pic of the Sun card on the cover. Cost (england) is round £17-18 (!). And that price is the cheapest.

Seems she's written quite a lot of books - about Tarot and Astrology and body language... etc.

Bee