Tyldwick - Page of Coins

BodhiSeed

This is the first court card I've found without any animals in it, though this "earth of earth" Page has plenty of plants in his garden. The design on the coin symbol above his portrait reminds me of the model of an atom - something he would be most curious about. He is often called a student, not because he loves knowledge for knowledge's sake, but because it can be used to create, build and do things with a purpose. This Page would agree with the Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water." Except he would explain that his new knowledge enables him to chop and carry much more efficiently. Such a mindset shows his practical nature; he doesn't have much patience for information that can't be applied in the real world. This Page is good with details - if you send him to the store for milk, he's going to want to know what size, what brand, and if you want skim, whole or low-fat. But beware if you tell him something is true with out the facts to back it up. Any statement made to him will be met with, "Where's the evidence?" And even if you can't prove it, he might build a model or do some research to discover the truth for himself. The Page of Coins is the most diligent and reliable of all the Pages, but his scientific way of looking at everything can make him a bit odd. Like the checkerboard pattern on the garden wall, things can be black or white, useful or useless to him based on whether they are true, effective and have a valid reason for existing. He would not want to waste much time hearing about your emotional troubles, your religious philosophy, or looking at a new painting. He prefers to be a "fixer." Instead, he would probably suggest an herb for your depression, allow you to borrow his book "The Burden of Proof" and offer to hang that painting so it would be level.

Attachments

• Model_atom.jpg
    Model_atom.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 782
  • TyldPgP.jpg
    TyldPgP.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 787

upawell

"Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

That quote echoes the wheelbarrow seen in this card. Lovely!

It's interesting that this Page, of all the Page cards in this deck, has the most humble appearance. All the other pages have an ornate, decorative flair to them: large flower arrangements, for one, and a general manicured symmetry. The other Pages also seem to have a setting within the gardens they occupy, almost like a small shrine.

But the Page of Coins seems to occupy an almost hidden corner, one you'd stumble upon by accident. There's a sense of seclusion and modesty. He doesn't have any flower arrangements or vases; the red rose bush seems 'wild'. There's the worn wheelbarrow, and the tall grass just doing its thing.

I feel this Page is the most confident, but in a Zen Buddhist way, like your quote above. One appears the same, before and after Enlightenment, but so much is different internally. Appearances can be 'deceiving' in that respect.

Lovely card. Your interpretation gave me a new appreciation for it. Now it stands out, even though it can be easy to mistake it for The Wheel of Fortune card.

:)

BodhiSeed

It's interesting that this Page, of all the Page cards in this deck, has the most humble appearance. All the other pages have an ornate, decorative flair to them: large flower arrangements, for one, and a general manicured symmetry. The other Pages also seem to have a setting within the gardens they occupy, almost like a small shrine.
This is an important point that I didn't take into account - great observation! :D The simplicity seen here very much fits his practical personality.

upawell

This is an important point that I didn't take into account - great observation! :D The simplicity seen here very much fits his practical personality.

This might be against forum rules, to post without incorporating useful information to the study aspect of the threads, but:

:D

I'm most delighted to have contributed something of note. I'm learning so much from your interpretations. Once again, thank you.

Tyldwick

I have a theory that each Page represents a different Chinese Celestial Animal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Benevolent_Animals). The Page of Staves features dragons, Cups is turtles, Swords (arguably) shows the phoenix. The main problem with my theory was the Page of Coins which is, as BodhiSeed said, the only apparently animal-less court card in Tyldwick!

If I'm right then this is where I'd expect to see a pair of Qilin (Japanese "Kirin"). And once I knew what to look for, that is exactly what I found. Their faces are at the top of both columns. Take a look and see if you agree: http://craftstravaganza.com/images/tyldwick page of coins qilin.jpg

From Wikipedia: "Qilin are thought to be a symbol of luck, good omens, protection, prosperity, success, and longevity by the Chinese. Qilin are also a symbol of fertility, and often depicted in decorations as bringing a baby to a family." Sounds to me like an excellent animal to represent the suit of Coins!