Tarot of the masters [Vacchetta]

thorhammer

Yes, I think somewhere there it says "extract". But it makes the point.

It also makes me want to relearn Latin and get the book :D

\m/ Kat

Cerulean

Don't forget the cinematic woodcuts

discussed and free topic exploration of the entire HP text and pictures on the free MIT site (they put it online in 1997) that I posted earlier--it is still available as of Oct 2009 and may lead into fascinating experiments with the Vacchetta as a flipbook...that is why I am keeping my border trimmed LS Vacchetta around...I am going to eagerly explore all the most recent links in this revived thread because it sounds like different people are finding new and fun info----I am delighted to see so many posts and want to catch up on the latest discoveries...

Debra

Someone here printed it out in dark olive-green ink on cream board. It looked wonderful.

Moonbow

For those interested in the deck who don't yet have it here is a small excerpt from the lwb:

"Giovanni Vacchetta was born in Cuneo in 1863 and passed away in Fossano in 1940. He became "Master of Design" at Albertina Academy in Turin and subsequently professor of embellishment at the Industrial Museum in Turin.....

Artistically, the Tarot reflects his thoughts through unique care for details and expression. His attempt to contextualize the subjects of the cards using scenes and events, often tying them to everyday objects or minor art...

The original deck by Giovanni Vacchetta constitutes a very important moment in the history of the Tarot, even though it had an extremely localized distribution in Northern Italy and was not linked (at least not apparently) with any esoteric descipline.

This deck demonstrates how the idea and need to introduce allegorical development into the Minor Arcana did not come about in 1910 with the work by Pamela Colman Smith and Arthur Edward Waite, but was actually prior to this and 'consistent with the times".

I hope this little snippet encourages interest in this beautiful deck. The little bit of history together with Michela Gaudenzi's subtle colouring, makes this a deck which I consider a great addition for all modern readers and collectors, and for its place in History. I have read with it a few times but more often it sends me off on researches to try and discover more of its secrets.

Its worth re-posting Cerulean's link to Pollet's site showing the images by Jost Amman, these really do look similar to the artwork on the cards to me:

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards66.htm

There is also another recent thread which talks about the Vacchetta and of particular interest to me was the observations by ihcoyc and Kwaw regarding biblical characters:

Italian Decks

Bernice

I enjoyed that thread re. the Italian Decks. Really interesting info. about the Vachetta courts. The translations of latin inscriptions on some cards are especially helpful to conjure up meanings for them

Bee :)

Dancing Bear

sapienza said:
You can see scans of the whole LS deck here: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/119/Master

Also, Book Depository UK still have the deck available, with free postage :)

Thanks for the link
I also went in search for the deck.. it is out of stock.. someone beat me to it LOL!

I will eventually buy this deck it is beautiful.

here is a picture of what i have done so far, a bit blurry but you get the gist.. i think it will take me forever though LOL!

I have done them in watercolour. unfortunatley i read someone else pasted them on the dark green card.. great idea..I had already pasted on white.. and now wished i had used green LOL!! Not to worry.. I wont have any borders.. as much as i Love the green borders..

I cant believe i just said i love Borders!! its a first lOL!

Attachments

• Copy of Mixed pics 470.jpg
    Copy of Mixed pics 470.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 222

thorhammer

They look beautiful, DB :) Well done!

\m/ Kat