Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

Yves Le Marseillais

Soap of Marseille

Actually I've done a bit of a turnaround - after using the Burdel and realising that most of my TdM's are cleaned up and re-coloured versions apart from the Thunderbay Conver which I never liked, I decided that I needed authentic looking decks.

So I ordered the Madenie and the Chosson from Amazon but they are the versions done by the Tarot of Marseilles Heritage Site, Yves Le Marseillais posts here often. You can see these decks on his site.

These decks are stunning, I can't decide whether they are lightly laminated or no laminate but they shuffle smoothly and feel good in the hand also quite thick card, square cut corners, the deck stands proud. They come in a two part sturdy box with a lift off lid. Both of the decks have the same quality and attention to detail.

It is the Madenie that is my favourite, I like the colours used and the expressions on the faces, the attention to detail is breathtaking, I didn't realise I would like it as much as I do but I'm already thinking of getting a second copy because I'm going to be using this one. It feels like such a special deck but needs to be used and enjoyed. The Chosson is probably feeling left out but it too is a special deck, it's just that the Madenie has really caught my eye.

Bonjour Emily,

Madenié, Chosson, Heri and Burdel I publish (and all their followers I will do) are not laminated at all.
They just got a spray of satin finish (other options was glossy or matte).
For me it's the best solution that is close to their initial appearense (I saw in hand all originals in their respective museums).
Bear in mind that cards was in their initial period of conception covered with a very thin application of soap paste that was smoothed with a round piece of stone.....
Strange process I agree but they had no varnish in this time to do this protective and slidding effect.

Cordialy,

Yves

conversus

As Cesar pointed out :
As a matter of fact, that deck was not a Tarot de Marseille, but a Tarot de Besançon. The edition of 1910 is available in digital format here following this link: http://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3829868

I wonder if a reproduction of that deck has ever been published. The coloration and clarity of the line are truly attractive--not to mention Junon and Jove!

CED

Yves Le Marseillais

To do list

As Cesar pointed out :

I wonder if a reproduction of that deck has ever been published. The coloration and clarity of the line are truly attractive--not to mention Junon and Jove!

CED

Bonsoir Conversus,

This is a deck I have in my collection and it could be republished by me at a certain moment.
But more important historical decks need to be done before this one and my to do list is rahter long (one tenth of decks....).
Next year I intend to publish at least one new historical deck... or two regarding finances.

Best,

Yves

conversus

Yves:

This news gives all of us a great deal to look forward to! Thanks for your commitment and generosity!!!

CED

Barleywine

Here are pictures of my deck I was talking about.

Yes, this is the same one I have, but yours seems to be older and somewhat faded. Of course, it could simply be the scan or photo quality doing that.

Fiver

Ben Doav is my recommendation. I also enjoy the Jodo-Camoin deck. Doesn't get a lot of love, and I know Jodo goes a little rogue with some of his interpretations, but if you read it for you and without his influence, at face value it's a wonderful Marseilles deck

Emily

Bonjour Emily,

Madenié, Chosson, Heri and Burdel I publish (and all their followers I will do) are not laminated at all.
They just got a spray of satin finish (other options was glossy or matte).
For me it's the best solution that is close to their initial appearense (I saw in hand all originals in their respective museums).
Bear in mind that cards was in their initial period of conception covered with a very thin application of soap paste that was smoothed with a round piece of stone.....
Strange process I agree but they had no varnish in this time to do this protective and slidding effect.

Cordialy,

Yves

I didn't know that about the original decks being treated with the soap paste, another thing Marseille is famous for - soap. The satin finish spray suits your decks really well, that and the excellent cardstock.

FLizarraga

I confess to have a weakness for the Viéville (Editions SIVILIXI).

Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks: Lyn Narciso's dreamy, DREAMY Marcelo Inciso, and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.

Scarlet Woodland

Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks........ and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.

Awwwww, no fair. Immediately looked this up and fell in love; but they'll only ship to the US :(

Was so perfectly what I've been looking for. Curses.

MissChiff

I confess to have a weakness for the Viéville (Editions SIVILIXI).

Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks: Lyn Narciso's dreamy, DREAMY Marcelo Inciso, and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.

I have the Sophistique.. I love it.. Do you have the squirrel card?