Cleansing Crystals with Oil not Water?

rebelgirl1749

Hey guys! I know that some crystals such as fluorite, selenite, and malachite are not supposed to be cleansed in a bowl of water in some cases that the crystals may dissolve, crack, or produce toxins in the water. Instead of water I was thinking about dabbing my crystals in some cleansing oils or maybe put the crystals into a bowl of cleansing oil. I guess this is more of a science question. Oils are neutral and has no pH level if that helps. Would it be safe to use oils to cleanse delicate crystals that should not be used in water? Thanks ; )

Hemera

I always rinse all of my crystals in water. I have not heard that they´d dissolve or crack if you just rinse them. But if you want to let them stand in water that might make a difference. Oils should be fine with them but it would leave the crystals..well, oily. :p -I imagine they would look good, though, like polished.

Padma

it is true that salt based crystals, such as selenite, should not sit in water. But like Hemera, I have very quickly rinsed mine in water - and they were fine - and a wipe with a damp cloth would also do as well. I cannot see any harm in using cleansing oils...as Hemera says, they would just look shiny after, I suppose!

Crystals can also be cleansed by leaving them to sit in the moonlight, or in the sun (if the stone tolerates light well - some, like citrine or amethyst, will fade if left for very long periods in the sun) Equally, you can use a pot of earth to bury them in overnight, or leave them overnight inside a ring of sea salt. Many ways to cleanse crystals!

If you look in the sticky notes at the beginning of the crystal subforum, you will see Hemera's thread/links for cleansing crystals. :)

celticnoodle

I do know they recommend cleaning opals with oil. olive oil or even baby oil is good. opals should not be allowed to get dry, or that can make them crack. I've always rubbed them with oil and no ill effects as a result--instead, they are quite colorful and beautiful.

I'm not sure what other stones would be better with oil then water--but perhaps you can google it and see what others have recommended?

I know as was mentioned, setting them in moonlight is cleansing--as is sitting it next to a clear quartz crystal. I also think someone once mentioned how amethyst is a very good way to cleanse other crystals. I don't like to use water, if I don't have to, much preferring other crystals, moonlight or the oil in the case of my opals.

MandMaud

Thanks for the mention of Hemera's notes, Padma, I'd never have thought of looking at the sticky posts here! :laugh:

I recently got a little sodalite owl, and sodalite is apparently another that shouldn't be soaked - or even come near water? It being another "salty" crystal (hence the name, as in 'sodium').

I'm not confident to rub it too hard either, but I think it needs the kind of cleaning that moonlight just won't do. I was very fond of it from its picture, and want to be equally fond of it now it's in my home, but am not quite there because it's looking quite dull.

I had thought of oil but not sure if an organic oil is wise, or if it needs to be non-organic - so it's interesting to see that you use olive oil, CN.

Padma

A very high grade of extra virgin olive oil would be fine (and not heavy and greasy!) as would almond oil. I think the "dry" oils would work best (this includes grapeseed oil).

MandMaud

A very high grade of extra virgin olive oil would be fine (and not heavy and greasy!) as would almond oil. I think the "dry" oils would work best (this includes grapeseed oil).

Thanks. I might try coconut as I have a lovely jar full of that; and somewhere I have a little bottle of grapeseed, but it's years old. Not sure my olive oil is high quality but I'll check the label. :)

rebelgirl1749

I do know they recommend cleaning opals with oil. olive oil or even baby oil is good. opals should not be allowed to get dry, or that can make them crack. I've always rubbed them with oil and no ill effects as a result--instead, they are quite colorful and beautiful.

I'm not sure what other stones would be better with oil then water--but perhaps you can google it and see what others have recommended?

I know as was mentioned, setting them in moonlight is cleansing--as is sitting it next to a clear quartz crystal. I also think someone once mentioned how amethyst is a very good way to cleanse other crystals. I don't like to use water, if I don't have to, much preferring other crystals, moonlight or the oil in the case of my opals.

Thanks for the opal advise. Ill try cleansing with oil next time. I heard at first that you were supposed to soak them in water to hydrate them, but I've also heard from an opal expert that that was a myth and you shouldnt do that to the opals. Love opals!

rebelgirl1749

Thanks everyone for your replies.

celticnoodle

Thanks for the opal advise. Ill try cleansing with oil next time. I heard at first that you were supposed to soak them in water to hydrate them, but I've also heard from an opal expert that that was a myth and you shouldnt do that to the opals. Love opals!

YW. I love opals too. I never heard to soak them in water, but they can dry out is what I have heard and it is recommended to use oil. I have used baby oil in the past, and for many, many years. but, I also use extra virgin olive oil, which is lighter and not very oily. Both works well for me. Good luck to you on cleansing all of your crystals!