Do you grow your own Herbs?

Ramona

Sophie

Sophie said:
Bee Balm (monarda didyma or monarda fistulosa) is also known as bergamot (without the n). It's a different plant from that used to perfume Earl Grey -that's a citrus fruit (citrus aurantia bergamia). Bee Balm bergamot belongs to the mint family and has more of the healing and magickal characteristics of mint. Which is the one used by First Nations?

Hi Sophie ~
Sorry I've been absent for awhile - other priorities.
You are absolutely correct! I checked on the contents of Earl Grey after I had said that here, and I thought to come back and correct it, but I never did. Sorry about that, too. :)

The First Nations used Monarda didyma and M. fistulosa, and the info can be found at the nativeplants. evergreen . ca site.

cheers!
Ramona

Muir Aingeal

I would love to grow my own herbs but the herb that I would most like to grow is Oatstraw and I think I would need an entire farm field for that.

I mainly use herbs for medicinal purposes.

celticnoodle

oh, I am SO excited! now that the majority of my out of state trips are done and over with, (at least, I hope so!) and the summer is still just getting started here in NY, I'm going to take off Monday and go shopping for herbs and pots and such. :D I am hoping to plant most of them, if not all of them into pots rather then put them directly into the ground. I prefer container gardening over all.

now, a question to all you who grow catnip. does this do well in a pot? thanks in advance! :D

Ramona

celticnoodle said:
oh, I am SO excited! now that the majority of my out of state trips are done and over with, (at least, I hope so!) and the summer is still just getting started here in NY, I'm going to take off Monday and go shopping for herbs and pots and such. :D I am hoping to plant most of them, if not all of them into pots rather then put them directly into the ground. I prefer container gardening over all.

now, a question to all you who grow catnip. does this do well in a pot? thanks in advance! :D

HI CN ~
Yes, I can vouch for that very strongly: Catnip does grow very well in pots. Likes sun, a bit of fish emulsion to grow strong leaves (organically), and water when needed. But keep it out of reach of those cats!
big hugs
Ramona

Ramona

Oatstraw

Muir Aingeal said:
I would love to grow my own herbs but the herb that I would most like to grow is Oatstraw and I think I would need an entire farm field for that.

I mainly use herbs for medicinal purposes.

Hi Muir Aingeal ~
What about flat containers, about 10" X 10" ?
I used to work in a nursery that only grew native grasses, and that's what we grew the seeds in to begin with, then we transferred them into gro-pots.

For oatstraw, a layer of potting mix, with lighter stuff on top, such as vermiculite, would be ideal. Then you'd have your own green crop when the seedlings come up to use at will. :) Keep in sunlight, and water regularly.

You do want to use it for green drinks, right? With this method, you would have a steady supply - without having to have a field!

I grow oats for my daughter's two cats - as that is what garden centres use when they sell "cat grass" ... mine are already 2 " high!

:)
Cheers
Ramona

Muir Aingeal

Thank you! I may have to try that. Yes, I'm hooked on the green drinks with ice. It seems to even out my temperament since I'm prone to anxiety (hereditary) I believe.

I haven't had any oatstraw for awhile now. I usually buy mine at Mountain Rose where the shipping about kills me. It's like a luxury item for me so I'd like to be able to grow my own.

Dancing Bear

WooHoo!! I have finally got my raised garden bed finished.
Thyme has gone in. and loads of veges.. All the other herbs are growing beautiful. MY Tea arrived in the mail and they have been placed in their mini hot houses. one seedling has gone pear shaped :( but the rest seem to be still happy. I found all my seeds and have been placing all of them in my seedling punnets.. ready for their new bed :) ..

OOH! and I dont have much of a clue about companion planting, But i have put Sage, Corriander and Parsley in the same pot.. it is going bonkers :D
Hubby is happy ! He loves corriander.

still no self heal :( I am sure one day i will come accross it.

Ramona

so happy

HI, Dancing Bear!
I'm so happy for you that you have your herb and vegie garden going ~ congrats! When I lived in Qld, that's exactly what I did, too, and my garden was a great success!

I've planted seeds of herbs in punnets, too, some for the first time.
I have Lady's Mantle, Motherwort, Calendula, Mugwort, Thyme, Summer Savory, Purple Basil, and Stinging Nettle. All have come up except for Stinging Nettle. Here my big problem are little critters called Chipmunks, not a husband, who likes my herbs. LOL!! Half of my Purple Basil are chewed right down to the nib. Sigh!

All my wild herbs and perennials are growing well in their pots, and I'm loving them to bits so they can grow up big and strong for a mid-summer sale soon. Who doesn't love Summer in NA? And a 'warm' Winter in Australia? Same difference!

It's great to keep this thread going as the season goes along.
Have a great week, everyone!

canid

Someone just gave me some Stevia woowoo! I put it in a pot so I'll try bringing it in for the winter here on the tundra, like my green pepper last year & I had peppers all winter! Boy is Stevia sweet - has a unique flavor too. Isn't it an old wives' tale that plants do better if they're a gift or stolen? Nobody ever gives me plants - it's usually the other way around.

Ramona

I think what I heard is that if you steal a plant, it'll die, but if someone gives it to you, it'll live. :)

Stevia is great! You don't need much to sweeten anything. Don't use it like sugar; use much less! oh, and no calories...

It's a perennial, so it will stay alive inside all winter if cared for. To make it bushier, simply trim off the top of the shoots to encourage growth on the lower branches. Don't let it flower - cut those off. If it flowers, then it becomes leggy and well, then it wants to die as it has now performed its life duty: grow, flower, produce seeds and die. Funny how plants do that.

Cheers!