The significance of pentacles

20jjames

My studies tell me pentacles are supposed to respond for very dark people. Would somebody be so kind as to explain that further? My readings are dominated by pentacles followed closely by swords and wands.

Beancrew49

My studies tell me pentacles are supposed to respond for very dark people. Would somebody be so kind as to explain that further? My readings are dominated by pentacles followed closely by swords and wands.

Pentacles aren't inherently negative. They represent earthly, physical, tangible things like money, possessions, home, health, career. If someone carries a predominantly pentacle energy then they are more attached to these things than they are to emotions, thoughts, or action. They tend to be more grounded, less spiritually oriented, and don't invest as much into their emotions.

As is the case with all the suits, negativity comes from an over emphasis in these things. Just as someone can be too emotional, too much into their ego, or too willing to take action, a person who is too much into the tangible of this 3D world is not living a well balanced life. It's important not to look at any card or suit as positive or negative as there are many shades of grey and each of them carries their own strengths and weaknesses.

20jjames

Heyyo thanks! I was a little worried there for a minute, honestly. Better safe than sorry.

barefootlife

Pentacles are possibly my favorite suit, but I'm also a super earthy earth sign. I don't think they're particularly dark at all, honestly. People may attribute 'physical' things as being inherently selfish or self-serving, but we all need those things in order to survive, and 'wealth' isn't necessarily monetary. If you see lots of pentacles and swords, for example, your 'wealth' may be knowledge. It also has an often-overlooked aspect of family and relationships.

So basically, nah, not really dark. If anything, the Queen of Pents could be considered the most maternal of the queens, second to the Empress.

Thirteen

Literally or figuratively?

Depending on where your read this, is could be meant as *literally* dark. Like brunettes and dark skin ;)

Tarot cards are a European invention, the earliest decks being only in Europe. Meaning places where there most of the population was caucasian, light eyed, and even light haired. So, imagine yourself a tarot reader in a little town in say, oh, northern France, back in the time of Louis XIV. Some young blond lady has many suitors and wants to know which one she'll marry. Three out of the four suits indicate lighter hair (blond/brown) and caucasian. And that's only right as almost everyone in town has hair blond/brown and fair skin. You pull...the Knight/Pents! Why, her suitor will be the one with the darkest skin and back hair. Easy to tell who because there are so few of such men in town. Or suppose you were reading for a merchant who wants to know which customer he should pay more attention to; you pull the Queen/Pents...that Moorish lady, dark of skin and hair, he's been doing business with in the Spain. That as compared to the Queen/Swords, the blond aristocrat he's been dealing with there in France.

But now we fast forward to the 21st century and that "Pentacles for 'dark' people" makes no sense. At least, not literally. France now has plenty of immigrants who have dark skin and hair. So you pull the Knight/Pents and say to the young lady "You'll marry the suitor with dark hair and skin..." and she says "Which one?" You pull the Queen/Pents for the Merchant and he says "Are you talking about the lady I deal with in China? In Dubai? The African-American lady in the U.S.???"

:joke: Literally speaking, the pents for "dark" is a very-out-of-date meaning, one rightfully retired by those creating newer decks and books.

On the other hand, if you're speaking figuratively, the Pents are the "serious" suit. They're about getting the job done, no frivolity. Common sense, hard work, and general conservative/traditionalism. Which doesn't mean that Pent-types haven't a sense of humor. It's just, well, on the earthy side. But for all their seriousness, Pents never go as dark as, say, reversed Cup cards which are often about deep depression. Or cards like the 8,9&10/Swords, which can be very "dark" indeed. So, you have to work out what "dark" means to understand why some books label Pents this way.

20jjames

Well it wasn't a dark reading. For me at least. I was inquiring upon the life of a child recently born with or without her uncle in her life. Her parents are a little... dramatic and may withhold certain truths.

nisaba

Pentacles are about the *real* world. They are about what's solid, real, present and earthy.

For example, a relationship reading involving pentacles most likely would be a solid, stable, long-term relationship with joint property, and joint kids-and-grandkids etc.

And an employment-based reading showing a lot of pentacles would likely be about a job you already have, not some pie-in-the-sky job you;re dreaming about (or about a job where you are already trained-up and have a very realistic chance).

That sort of thing.

Not everyone who writes about Tarot is free of superstitions or even has much experience.

Thirteen

Well it wasn't a dark reading. For me at least. I was inquiring upon the life of a child recently born with or without her uncle in her life. Her parents are a little... dramatic and may withhold certain truths.
As Nisaba says, Pents are down to Earth, and that may be why some view them as "dark." Because that means they're going to be honest and straightforward, unadorned. Also skeptical, curmudgeonly, and "hard."

Pents might be saying that the parents shouldn't lie. Give the girl the facts. Pents aren't about being soft or fanciful or imaginary. ;)