Vanessa Study Group- Temperance

Hemera

Temperance is a babe in a bar who looks a bit mischevious and I love her for that :D
She has seen everything and she has heard all the stories and seen all kinds of more or less weird people who tell those stories. She can see the real human being behind the faces and the stories, and she has a soft spot for them in her heart. She is a true woman of the world. I believe she is very wise. She is mature and playful, and like any good barwo/man, she can be trusted and she will listen and keep things to herself. Rather like a therapist...
She has seen what comes of drinking too much and not knowing ones limits. So she has learned self-control and moderation.

Grip Dellabonte

I can't add much to this description....you said it perfectly, Hemera!

I would note that I love that she has purple wings - a bit frayed, perhaps, but then that explains the smirk. Worldly-wise....

And I love the triangle necklace on her....gives me the idea that she wears it because it is an emblem of something with a firm foundation.....

Alan Ross

I would say she's also someone with the judgment and skill to mix a drink exactly right. Just so much of this, and so much of that... Ta da! The perfect drink.

A little too much of this, or a little too much of that could result in an undrinkable disaster. Temperance reminds us that it's easy to screw up when we fail to combine elements in proper proportion. Being too harsh with our children is just as bad as being too lenient. Being too generous with our friends is no better than being too stingy. And so on...

Alan

Alan Ross

Grip Dellabonte said:
And I love the triangle necklace on her....gives me the idea that she wears it because it is an emblem of something with a firm foundation.....

As I see it, the triangle necklace is a nod to the RWS Temperance, where the angel wears an emblem of a triangle contained in a square:

http://misscath.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/La-Temperance-Temperence.16973546_std.jpg

Robert Place, in his book "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination," sees this emblem as signifying "spirit contained in matter." Rachel Pollack, in "Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom," has a similar view: "The triangle within the square indicates that the Spirit rises from within the material body."

Alan

blue_fusion

AND! well, actually, another meaning for the word "temperance" is... abstinence from alcohol, so hopefully there's that visual pun/irony there as well :D

Alan Ross

blue_fusion said:
AND! well, actually, another meaning for the word "temperance" is... abstinence from alcohol, so hopefully there's that visual pun/irony there as well
<Groans and wacks self in head> Of course. The temperance movement. Can't believe I missed that. Such a clever pun...

Alan

tarot4fun

Her wings, and the way the liquid magically flows between the vessels, give it a Magical feel. She has a little smirk that says "I wonder what will happen if I mix these two?" Reminds me of a Chemist.

The twirly texture of the 'fluid' looks like soft serve ice cream~ this could be a soda fountain. The blender makes me think of a smoothy bar. There are lots of refreshing treats and drinks that can be 'mixed'. Hence, the idea of Temperance, that we have options and can keep a balance in our diet and drinking habits.

faunabay

I've always wondered......what's the green thing on the counter/plate? It looks like a stalk of broccolli. LOL

And I'm like tarot4fun, I love the smirk. Just gives such a "I wonder...." attitude. :laugh:

tarot4fun

faunabay said:
I've always wondered......what's the green thing on the counter/plate? It looks like a stalk of broccolli. LOL
Guess I need new glasses~ I thought it was the key to the ladies' room!

Grip Dellabonte

As I see it, the triangle necklace is a nod to the RWS Temperance, where the angel wears an emblem of a triangle contained in a square:

http://misscath.net/yahoo_site_admi...6973546_std.jpg

Robert Place, in his book "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination," sees this emblem as signifying "spirit contained in matter." Rachel Pollack, in "Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom," has a similar view: "The triangle within the square indicates that the Spirit rises from within the material body."

Thanks for this, Alan! Very informative, and interesting. Have not had a lot of time to delve into some of the historical attributes, but one day I hope I can.

In the meantime, having information like this helps to give even more depth to the cards. :)

I did get the tongue-in-cheek Temperance setting, but I forgot to post it. :D

Her wings, and the way the liquid magically flows between the vessels, give it a Magical feel. She has a little smirk that says "I wonder what will happen if I mix these two?" Reminds me of a Chemist.

The twirly texture of the 'fluid' looks like soft serve ice cream~ this could be a soda fountain. The blender makes me think of a smoothy bar. There are lots of refreshing treats and drinks that can be 'mixed'. Hence, the idea of Temperance, that we have options and can keep a balance in our diet and drinking habits.

Another dimension added to the card - it makes sense, tarot4fun. I like it. :)