five of pentacles-what's out side the window?

Leia

In Five of pentacles, there are a big shadow with glowing eyes out side the window , wich is staring inside. My problem is , what that big shadow is and what's it's position in this deck? It must sympolize something but i just don't get it. Thanks for reading my post.

Mimers

A dark little monster, that because of his appearance, is left out in the cold. He looks in wishing he could be a part of what he sees, but feeling that he never could.

That is what I see in this card. I always for bad for the big monster.

Mimi

Dark_angel

He kind of reminds me of Pikachu from Pokemon.

Also, because they aren't welcoming him in (do they even notice he's there?) the people inside are the poorer for not having his company.

Could he represent a fear of taking risks?

lunalafey

pikachu-
That was sort of the idea behind the creature....let's see. Pika was an electric sorta critter, but this guy is all dark.
He does look a bit sad, wishing he could be part of the group? or just part of the warmth, the having.
He's a pretty big guy too. Perhaps part of his exclusion is due to his differences.
This scene could reflect a person or groups materialism.

Shade

In the book they mention a couple of times that the fey choose their own appearances, like the King of Wands and Wisest. So this fey chooes to portray himself herself as a monster because she or he feels like the are a monster. S/he doesn't fel like s/he belongs in the warmth with the other fey.

RiccardoLS

One of the "best film ever" for both me and Mara is "Totoro" [aka "My neighbour Totoro" or "Tonari no Totoro" by Hayaio Miyazaki. http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/totoro/ ]

We spent an evening talking about it instead of working :)

Seriously, the creature outside was on purpose left "undetailed". The eye of perception was inside the room. If we knew for sure what's outside then we would not have to cope with uncertainity, fear doubt...
I wanted something that could be either a dark monster bent on rampaging and roaring, or the fuzziest, cozyest pup

I think that one of the focus of the card is really "not knowing, but guessing, and in the end deciding by oneself" what's outside the window.
Decide to be scared, or decide to trust and risk...

Alta

It could be the part of you that you do not wish to accept, cannot 'invite in' to your daily life. Some aspect, anger, jealousy, resentfulness, that lurks around the edges. Because you don't acknowledge it, it trips you up at the worst times. You have to give even your meanest thoughts a seat and thus soften and understand them (they won't go away).

contrascarpe

My immediate reaction to this card was one of "safety". The feys inside are safe knowing that what is outside cannot affect them. I liken it to the stereotype of having a monster in your closet - in this case the monster can be seen and those inside know that it cannot harm them.

Dan

Laura Borealis

What I love about this card (well, one of the things I love about it) is that the usual perspective of the card is turned around. In the RWS, we see beggars in the snow, outside a lighted church window. It's often interpreted as loss -- financial loss, loss of health -- or loneliness, emotional destitution.

In the Fey, the perspective is inside the room, as Riccardo says. The shadowy figure is on the outside. And it could be something scary, or something wonderful, or it could be simply a lonely little monster, wishing it could come in and warm its soul by the fire.

Miyazaki references again: It reminds both of the Totoros (which are powerful earth spirits) and of the No-face spirit in Chihiro -- who is lonely and confused, and becomes quite scary when he doesn't get his way -- but who ends up just needing a friend and a home.

Another association for me (and why I tend to see it as a lonely little monster) comes from a workshop I did in the late 80s with Starhawk. She did a sort of guided meditation thing, where we envisioned the part of ourselves that we feared. Mine was a very powerful visualization of a hideous, cowering little creature. Then through the guided meditation, she was transformed into a beautiful young woman (who was me). It was an incredible experience, and I tend to regard little monsters with much more compassion since then... :)