Metallic Decks

Rose Lalonde

And some, like the otherwise magnificent Renaissance, are a bit, should I say, WTF-ish. Though perhaps that's due to my trying to shoehorn it into a more traditional Tarot structure.

I don't think the WTF-ishness is from you trying to shoehorn. That 2 of Wands with Attis bleeding out (& looking bored) while his self-removed testicles sit in the grass in front of him. Yeah, no, that's an odd card for me. (image nsfw)

(I do own the deck, though! It has the 17 surviving cards form the Estensi, and I wanted those.)

EmpyreanKnight

I do agree that one should have all the unfailingly gorgeous metallic LS decks. And they are fortunately on the cheap side --well, except for the Nefertari, which is the only one I don't have. (Is the Byzantine a LS deck? Can't remember. I don't have that one, either.)

You're a man after my own heart, FLiz, and it truly is surprising that with all that foil and craftsmanship, it's about the cost of an average Tarot deck. I mean, seriously? But maybe we shouldn't enable people, otherwise their prices might indeed soar if the demand for them rises too much.

I changed my mind. These decks are overrated, flaking, flimsy things, and your money will be better served buying something else. :p

Btw I think the Byzantine deck Le Fanu is referring to is the Golden Tarot of the Tsar by Atanassov. I have the Byzantine Tarot by Matthews, and yeah I think it will be a perfect counterpoint to the Tsar Tarot in a two-deck reading. I can't wait to try that!

FLizarraga

I don't think the WTF-ishness is from you trying to shoehorn. That 2 of Wands with Attis bleeding out (& looking bored) while his self-removed testicles sit in the grass in front of him. Yeah, no, that's an odd card for me.

(I do own the deck, though! It has the 17 surviving cards form the Estensi, and I wanted those.)

Well, since I'm not the most learned cat in the room (I'm more of the "you say decan, I hear deacon" variety) and Giordano Berti is supposed to be an expert, I tend to think other people know something I don't.

Granted, it is a thing of beauty (and a joy forever). Plus the choice of frescos for the remaining cards does give it a very satisfying cohesiveness, stylistically speaking, don't you think?

But it sort of looks like a case of "What were they SMOKING?", if you know what I mean.

You're a man after my own heart, FLiz, and it truly is surprising that with all that foil and craftsmanship, it's about the cost of an average Tarot deck. I mean, seriously? But maybe we shouldn't enable people, otherwise their prices might indeed soar if the demand for them rises too much.

:)

I changed my mind. These decks are overrated, flaking, flimsy things, and your money will be better served buying something else. :p

Ha! Who are you fooling, Segismundo? Not yourself, and definitely not me...

Btw I think the Byzantine deck Le Fanu is referring to is the Golden Tarot of the Tsar by Atanassov. I have the Byzantine Tarot by Matthews, and yeah I think it will be a perfect counterpoint to the Tsar Tarot in a two-deck reading. I can't wait to try that!

Nah. If LeFanu said the Byzantine, he probably means the Byzantine. You can bet he has it. He has them ALL --seven copies of each. He probably has the original Sola Busca, and even the legendary Castle Aaargh Tarot. I imagine LeFanu having a secret Tarot vault behind a bookcase, where he goes and rubs his hands and cackles like a movie villain. Very 9 of Cups, but with more hand rubbing.

But now that you mention it, if the Byzantine is a Matthews deck, then it's not published by LS. I don't have it, though I do have the (gorgeous!) Tsar.

MoonGypsy

Flizarraga said:
Nah. If LeFanu said the Byzantine, he probably means the Byzantine. You can bet he has it. He has them ALL --seven copies of each. He probably has the original Sola Busca, and even the legendary Castle Aaargh Tarot. I imagine LeFanu having a secret Tarot vault behind a bookcase, where he goes and rubs his hands and cackles like a movie villain. Very 9 of Cups, but with more hand rubbing.

Oh, Flizzy! :laugh: That last comment made me laugh so hard that i snorted and my
coffee went up my nose!!! :laugh: You and our beloved Le Fanu both have such a
way with words! Wordsmiths thou art!

silvereye

I do agree that one should have all the unfailingly gorgeous metallic LS decks. And they are fortunately on the cheap side --well, except for the Nefertari, which is the only one I don't have. (Is the Byzantine a LS deck? Can't remember. I don't have that one, either.)

Like I said, they are unfailingly gorgeous. Some are a little less inventive than others (I'm looking at you, Botticelli. I mean, really? How many Venuses and Madonnas of the Magnificat? Atanassov was asleep at the wheel there...).

And some, like the otherwise magnificent Renaissance, are a bit, should I say, WTF-ish. Though perhaps that's due to my trying to shoehorn it into a more traditional Tarot structure. Surprisingly enough, the Mantegna -- which is its own animal and not what we think of as Tarot at all -- reads very well for me.

The Botticelli one looks lovely except for the first card, the Fool, it's taken on the literal meaning staring up like a retard, really?

Rose Lalonde

Well, since I'm not the most learned cat in the room (I'm more of the "you say decan, I hear deacon" variety) and Giordano Berti is supposed to be an expert, I tend to think other people know something I don't.

Granted, it is a thing of beauty (and a joy forever). Plus the choice of frescos for the remaining cards does give it a very satisfying cohesiveness, stylistically speaking, don't you think?

But it sort of looks like a case of "What were they SMOKING?", if you know what I mean.

Yes! I'm sure he is an expert, absolutely. It's just that no amount of expertise will make me believe someone can look that bored after self mutilation. I guess I can blame Attis' expression (and the grabby gentleman on the 2 of Cups) on the frescos... which, as you said, do give a nice cohesiveness to the deck. But for myself, I mostly like having those 17 gorgeous Estensi cards with the gold foil.

Nemia

The Golden Tarot of the Tsar is a metallic LoS deck that uses Byzantine art. The Byzantine tarot by Caitlin Matthews doesn't use metallic foil but a similar artistic style and much gold colour - but it's not shiny. I have both and love to compare them.

The Byzantine is much more critical, it's byzantine art as seen from the outside, as just another mythology or system of archetypes (very intelligent and very well done). The Tsar is made as though from within the Orthdox church, with little critical distance but great respect for the tradition.

I find them both wonderful study decks. The book that comes with the Byzantine is great. And I teach byzantine art so I'm a critical reader.

Both decks are recommended by Nemia!

nisaba

I have to confess, I find the Nefertari a bit Cairo-Souvenir-shop so tend not to use it.

Well, that, too. The so-called Egyptian figures are a very 20th-century take on Egyptology. And the blue that's ment to represent lapis lazuli on - say - the Wands, is a very saggy sodalite-blue instead. But that's a part of its charm! Along with all the dazzling gold.

The Klimt really is my favourite though - I like the gold in geometric, modernist slabs.

But its only little bits of gold, sadly. I've definitely got the magpe gene.

Whatever your tastes, these LoS gold decks are quite something...But one should really have them ALL instead of picking and choosing...

FINALLY you talk sense! <wipes brow with relief>

Amsonia

No one has mentioned the Golden Thread Tarot. I have it, but can't speak to the gold lasting, as I have only used it a couple of times, and I have the original version on cardstock, now they are printing them on waterproof plastic, and the black is matte instead of shiny like on mine, they look great. Anyway, it is NOTHING but gold printing...on black, very bright shiny gold and strangely LEGO'ish. Definitely a good one to add to a gold leaf collection.