Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Little Baron

Flavio said:
but I see it as one more ritual to personalize a deck, like selecting the perfect bag, put under moonlight or burying it.

Yaboot001, let us know later your experiences with your Thoth after its plastic surgery :)

That is absolutely what it was like. I have only cut two decks out of all of the decks that I have owned, and for me, there was very good reasoning behind it. I had been going back and forth with the Rohrig for about eight years, but something always held me back. I knew that since it was my first deck, it would always be special, and for that reason, cutting away the edges meant that I could use it better. In that case, it worked well. I found it very difficult to 'get away' from the keywords and in some cases, when reading for others, they would become fixated on the more negative ones, and could never get past anything possitive that I felt was coming from the cards. I don't regret cutting them at all, even though I was as nervous as hell when Gardener and I began the operation.

In terms of the Thoth, I bought it quite a while ago, but however I tried, I could not connect to it. I wrote in one of Kittaines threads the other day about how little I got from it. This was unusual in the sense that I really like the artwork.
So in the example of the Thoth, I felt I had nothing to lose, since it wasn't getting used as it was. After I saw 'xviiirkna's' scans, the images really opened up to me - especially the 'Star' and the 'Hermit', two images I think are beautifully orchestrated. So that's why I thought I would give it a go.

I will definitely let you know how it goes with the deck. I am happy with it right now, but should I feel that it lacks in any way, I can always purchase another. I have the one from the blue box, so it does come up quite small when cut; I don't have any small decks so it is nice that now, I can carry a small one with me.

Yaboot

Little Baron

Thoth Backs

Heres a sample Catti

Attachments

• thoth backs.bmp
    195.2 KB · Views: 819

Anna

Well I am half way through my keyword-ectomy :D If anyone wants the chopped off bits to make keyword confetti, I am very happy to part with them!

Its very easy isn't it? I'm using 2 pairs of scissors for the procedure and listening to my Nine Inch Nails CD as I chop, it is helping to create a suitably naughty atmosphere :D

Jewel-ry

Go CP,

I did this to my Rohrig and I still can't believe the difference. I did find though, that I got a sore finger. :(

Let us know how you get on.

~

Moonbow

Moonbow* is feeling quite faint! :eek:

everyone else....

PUT THE SCISSORS D O W N

Flavio

Someone call the paramedics... Moonbow* skin is loosing color :eek:

Little Baron

Oh Moonbow! Come round Sweetie; Pixie's hidden the scissors!

(*whispers* How's it going Pix? Do you like the results so far? What size deck is it? Mine was the blue AG Muller one? Very dinky now)

Moonbow comes round and asks 'What was that?'.

Nothing dear! Just humming a little song I learnt today ... dum dee dum dee dum.

Yaboot

TemperanceAngel

Yaboot this thread has almost inspired me to cut my deck, the photos you posted look wonderful. I mean the cards look wonderful.

*TA holds her hands over Moonbows' ears...*

Moonbow* cries, "What was that, TA, all I can hear is a muffled sound. It sounds like

SCISSORS CUTTING TAROT CARDS....AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

*TA laughs her wicked Temperance laugh* }) :p })

lark giggles, " It's another Aleister Crowley vasectomy :D "

Yaboot keeps singing to himself...knowing that his avatar can turn up anywhere and at any time ;)

Little Baron

Moonbow Luv! ... I think I heard the telephone ring ... could you just pop in the other room for a moment and take a look? ... I am sure it will be for you...

(Ok TA! We're alone! They certainly look different, but I suppose time will tell whether I develop a better relationship with them now that they have been cut. Because I am used to bigger decks (the Rohrig, and now also, the Enoil Gavat), it is nice to have a smaller one. I appreciate what Moonbow said about the borders being gateways, but I found the colouring disruptive and it softened the images; but that is just me. Now that the edges have gone, I can see the darkness and lightness of the cards more as they stand together. Similarly, I can see where colours flow and compliment. I am quite a 'Thoth' novice but look forward to seeing how they work for me in readings. Like Flavio said, it does give it a personal touch; the process of cutting and taking care over the cards developed a bond between the deck and me. As I cut, I could see what parts the borders complimented and what parts felt more free. It was a satisfying exercise. Some borders do not bother me; I think it is more of a keyword problem that I have. If you do do it, I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how you find them)

*Coughs* Hi ... wrong number was it?

Yaboot

TemperanceAngel

(Pssstttt....Yaboot, I just realised that perhaps you cut the horrid words off them too??? Is this true?)