View Single Post
Citizen

Onion Budgie 
21 Ways: Step Nine

Step NINE: Radiant Rider-Waite, Six of Cups

9-1 Review all your previous descriptions for your chosen card. Ask at least three open-ended questions, and answer them. Write about the snapshot memory image for each.

1. Which figure do you identify with most in this card?

You know, actually, I think that I identify most with the guard in the background! I wrote a paragraph from his point of view early on in this study. I've always been on the shy side. When I was a kid, and then later as a teenager, I was excruciatingly so. I felt on the edges of most everything. Other kids seemed so much more happy-go-lucky and popular than I was. They wore the cool clothes, had the cool haircuts, they didn't wear NHS glasses, they didn't have buck teeth, and they certainly weren't weird like me. So these cool kids would be in their groups, and I would lurk on the periphery, wondering why I was such an oddball, and why oh why couldn't I be cooler? I had friends, yes, but not many close ones, and we were bullied because of all the above reasons – clothes, hair, geekiness, etc. So I see myself as this guard, heading away towards the back of the Six of Cups card. Perhaps when he passed by those two sweet figures on the green, he looked at them wistfully and wished that his life could be simpler, like theirs.

Snapshot: Me, standing against the wall in the primary school playground, surrounded by older girls – bullies – who are interrogating me with questions that I don't want to answer. I'm a little panicked by them, because they're standing too close, and my friends aren't nearby. I feel hemmed in.

How do I feel now, thinking about that? I feel angry! Angry that back then I was too afraid to stand up for myself.

2. And what lessons could you learn from this?

Shy kids can suffer all forms of hell through school. If there's a lesson to be learned from this, it's not to show that depth of vulnerability to those who'd take advantage of it. Stand up for yourself. Bluff your way to extroversion if you have to. It's funny how Six of Cups focuses on innocence, caring and goodwill and childhood, when kids can be the meanest little git-bags on the face of the earth. Now that I'm an adult, many many years past school-age, I'm still shy, but nowhere near as introverted as I was when I was younger. I stand up for myself now. I don't take crap. Milling crowds of kids/teens still tend to unnerve me, though. Some memories you can't shake.

Snapshot: Walking out of the school gates on my last day of secondary school. I'M FREE! No more school! I'm an adult! I won't see this place, or these people, ever again!

How am I feeling, remembering that? Well, I'm smiling to myself. A quiet echo of the euphoria I felt back then.

3. Which keyword from the Six of Cups best describes you?

Helpful. I'll go out of my way to help someone, find them an answer, sort them out, make them feel better about whatever it was that was causing them a problem. And thinking on that, that was probably one of the reasons why I got into Tarot and Oracle – to help in yet another, slightly different way.

9-2 What do I most need to look at in my life right now?

I still need to heal from my childhood, I think. I have a lot of bad memories of school, which weren't the happiest days of my life by any stretch of the imagination. My descriptions and memories from the earlier study exercises painted a brighter picture, but this exercise has gotten down to the nitty-gritty, which I believe is a good thing.
Top   #54