List of Thoth-inspired decks and clones

Annabelle

TallTarotGuy said:
OK, I thought of another one:

Love is in the Earth Crystal Tarot, by Melody.

I think of this one as a Thoth clone. Can I get an amen?? :)

HUGS,
TTG
Oooh, cool :) - I'd never even noticed this one before. Most definitely Thoth-based . . . I'm not convinced its a true clone, though, because the majors (from what I can find online, anyway) are so different. The minors look like "clones" though.

rachelcat

A few more

Just taking a look at the categories in my collection list:

Clone: Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

Inspired:
Haindl
Light & Shadow
Tarot of the Sephiroth (or should this be a clone?)

Thanks for putting together the list! I love all Thoth inspired decks (except Liber T) (and maybe that penis/sphinx . . . But he's growing on me. Pun intended!!!)

Annabelle

Thanks for the contributions, Rachelcat! I've added your suggestions to the list.

I've also rearranged the list in alphabetical order, and created a third category - decks that might be considered Thoth clones (rather than just Thoth inspired). Personally, I'm not quite sure how to define a true "clone." The Liber T is typically considered a clone because it stays so close to the original art, only rendered in a different style - yet even the Liber T adds in a lot of material that was not contained in the Thoth.

I guess what make the Via and the Liber T "clones" to my eye (while some of the other decks might not be) comes down to a gut reaction. I cannot look at the Via, for example, without immediately thinking "oh wow, it looks like the Thoth." With something like the Tarot of the Sephiroth, though, I have to look for a while before thinking, "hmm...some of this strongly resembles the Thoth." Hardly a scientific distinction, I know :).

But please, if anyone objects to my categories, speak up. I'm certainly no Thoth expert; I'm just making a list is all.

Leleii

Thoth Inspired Decks

What about the Quest Tarot by Joseph Ernest Martin. It has keywords
on the minors.

Annabelle

Leleii said:
What about the Quest Tarot by Joseph Ernest Martin. It has keywords on the minors.
Ah, you're right! I can definitely see the Thoth influence in the minor arcana. I've added it to the list :).

Annabelle

Looks as if the magnificent folks at Tarotpedia have been making a list, too :). Here's a link.

In a bit I'll add some of the decks from their list to our list. Looks like there's some overlap, though!

Scion

That's funny Annabelle, I was just headed over to TarotPedia to use YOUR list. :D

Ahhh, crossfertilization. Master Therion would be proud.

Scion

Lillie

Annabelle4 said:
isn't this the deck that shows a large flying penis on the Emperor card?

That's the one eyed penisaurus.
A rare and wondrous beast.
But very shy.
It flaps it's wings and scuttles away to hide when people laugh at him.
Be kind, don't laugh where he can hear you.

lunakasha

Lillie said:
But very shy.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! :laugh: :p :D

GEEZ Lillie....you crack me up sometimes.....hee hee!!!! :laugh:

(thanks, I needed that!)

:) Luna (still laughing....)

catlin

Lillie said:
But very shy.

And it may shrink at the intent gaze of a cat.