Well, I finally have some ideas floating around but have a couple of questions...

romanticdreamz

Hi there,

Well, I had an idea of a working on a personal Tarot deck. (Slightly re-imagined, with a collage/multi-faceted feel and minors only But the idea works for me.)

Anyway, I was thinking about those blank tarot cards but my partner is thinking of being the artist on them. (I want to kickstart my Tarot a bit further and he wants to kickstart his art hobby so it sounds like it can work. Lol.) Thus, sharpies etc aren't really suitable. So...

What can anyone suggest in regards to card material that would be suitable for Tarot card usage but still have more options art wise? (Maybe pencils etc.)

And then to seal them and make them a bit firmer - I did see some spray matt varnish (non-removable one)? Would this work? Anyone use the spray version before?

Thanks all.

romanticdreamz

Thanks for the link. I think I'm having a bad day but can't seem to find any info on the paper/card stock and spray sealent... I'll have another look though and also try the dreaded search function. Lol.

Thanks again.

AJ

I know. When it is a subject as big as this the search engine brings back too much bounty.

I'll tell you what I've done so far.
Printed a deck on Kodak photo paper. Lots of black on the card borders and the black was like soot on my hands. So I use a spray fixative like you would for charcoal drawings, 5 sessions over 2 days. Worked like a charm, and although the cards are thin they shuffle like a dream. If I'd given them a chance to cure the ink may have been fine by itself...who knows.

Next deck I try to print I'll use on HP Matte brochure cardstock followed by a rubbed in wax application. Based on a recommendation by a fellow member. This is a black and white deck that should be in print but isn't, Harry Potter.

Anyway, spend a lot of time reading through this forum, there are gems everywhere in Tarot Deck Creation. Then come back and tell us what You did.

The spray matt varnish was highly recommended by Master Margurita today in another thread. Haven't used it, would worry about it being tacky forever in a humid climate. Probably work great in a dry climate...

romanticdreamz

Thanks again for the reply.

I did find some great stuff so thanks too for the tip and your experience. I'll have to keep searching and looking.

I will let you know what I do in the end. It's going to take some time! Lol.

England isn't exactly the driest of places so will have to check out what the best materials may be!

Grizabella

You could PM canid. She's done a lot of this sort of thing, I think, and she might have some input for you, too.

FadeToWhite

Re: materials - I recommend Staedtler or Prismacolor brand inking pens, if you're going the outline route. They come in a variety of thicknesses and are what I'm using for my Cybergoth Tarot. As for color, I recommend Prismacolor colored pencils; they are VERY vivid, come in a wide range of colors (I think their biggest box is 120 colors), and mix beautifully.

Re: sealant/fixative - I use FolkArt Clearcote Acrylic Sealer by Plaid. Be sure to get the "matte finish" one - unless you do want your cards to be shiny, in which case the glossy finish might be better.

I realize that the Prismacolor stuff I recommended can be pricey (my recent purchase of 10 Prisma pens cost me $17 USD, and the 120-color pencil box is over $100), but it's really, really good. If you are willing and able to make the investment, and seriously determined to make this deck, it will be worth it in the long run!

-FadeToWhite

Mabon-Tail

On the rare occasion that I draw with physical media, I draw and ink with the Staedtler technical pencil and pens I have left over from college, so I can definitely recommend Staedtler for drawing and inking.

romanticdreamz

Thanks for the extra tips. I've put this on hold for quite some time now and think I may be working on an idea for an oracle deck now instead! (Trust me to keep changing my mind!)

Will save this on my threads to watch list for sure though!