View Single Post
Citizen

Ross G Caldwell 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore347
Yes, that is one of the big differences between the Thelemic and Golden Dawn traditions IMO. The GD made their number change to homogenize the systems. They felt that in order to be correct, each system of ordering had to be perfectly parallel. Crowley, on the other hand, felt that everything was in motion and changing (even though while changing, on the largest scale all remained unchanged). He would have had no issue with the systems not being parallel. I suspect that he distrusted portions of the Homogenized GD system simply because the parallels appeared too contrived, too rigid and unmoving.
I think you're right, the GD thought that the Sefer Yetzirah attributions of the letters to the signs had to be maintained in the Tarot as well - and it was an easy change to make, because it only involved one pair of cards. Those cards were additionally two virtues, so the change did not do any symbolic damage to the order of the trumps.

But if Crowley had felt this need to stick to a straight Sefer Yetzirah-Hebrew letter-Tarot card attribution, he would have had to put the Emperor between the Tower and the Moon, and the Star between the Empress and the Pope! (in addition to making "Lust" number VIII). Even if none of these occultists had an explicit understanding of the "generic" Renaissance meaning of the sequence, it was implicitly clear (I suspect) that such an order was inelegant and made hash of the sequence's natural meaning.

Moreover, Crowley had good reason to want Lust to be numbered XI. So his answer was, in the Trump sequence, to ignore the Zodiac and Hebrew letter order, and follow the TdM number order only. So both of the former systems are subordinated to the Trumps, whereas in the Golden Dawn the Tarot was subordinated to the Sefer Yetzirah's Astrological-Alphabetic order.

Ross
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #43