The Stockholm Octavo

MikeTheAltarboy

Ok, I don't want to miss the fun. I bought my copy of the book as well.

MikeTheAltarboy

Just finished it. :D Anyone else?
It looks like coming up in January, the author is also releasing a book strictly about the card spread used in the story: The Octavo Handbook.

I'm wondering if I need to get the Jost Amman cards to start laying out my own Octavo... ;)

Rhinemaiden

Just finished it. :D Anyone else?
It looks like coming up in January, the author is also releasing a book strictly about the card spread used in the story: The Octavo Handbook.

I'm wondering if I need to get the Jost Amman cards to start laying out my own Octavo... ;)

My copy is on the slow boat and hasn't arrived yet... you won't spoil it for me if you want to post a review or comments here... ;)

Thanks for the news on the card spread... :)

MikeTheAltarboy

Well, I won’t say too much. :D

I did very much enjoy it. It was the first book of fiction that I have read alone for my own amusement in some time. (Mostly I read nonfiction, or else fiction aloud with my partner at bedtime - but that moves slower!) It hooked me quickly, and I was sneeking a chapter every chance I could.

The Octavo that gives the book its name was interesting in a couple ways. After the significator was chosen by the querent, only one of the 8 cards was drawn each night. And the cards were not merely shuffled and cut, but rather dealt repeatedly in spreads-of-8 (and then gathered, reshuffled, recut) until a card showed up a second time. That 2nd arrival was what signified that it was the appropriate card signifying a person there to stay. It was then placed into the next spot in the spread to await the next night.
The cards all represented people, and the way of interpretting them was fairly familiar to us here: Mrs. Sparrow commented on the suit, number, and illustration. The suit meaning and the numeralogical significance showed that person’s life situation, aspiration, or disposition; the illustration was usually much more concrete: the characters were usually recognized as belonging to the cards when they passed through a pose exactly like that of the card.

The reader was also a seer, and this particular spread was associated with her visions: If she had a vision for someone, the spread would help them play it out. The lynchpin was that they *determine who all 8 people were* - once they knew their position in the Octavo, they interact with them to bring out the potential of the vision.

Although no one that I know of is currently having visions for me, ;) I’d like to try the spread for myself. I haven't given much sustained reflection to the rôle those around me play in helping me fulfill my “plan.” But it certainly resonated with me that there are people in my life who seem particularly connected and somehow important to keeping me aligned. I just haven't thought to pursue that, connect them, and bring it all together.

tarotbear

Fascinating~! The problem being - the person I would also buy these for as a Christmas gift is also the most likely to purchase them for me! :confused:

ETA: UUUUUUGH! The paperback is not going to be released until summer 2013!

Rhinemaiden

Mike, what a wonderful commentary! Thank you! Can't wait to receive my copy and begin reading.

Tarotbear... I bought my copy on ebay at a very reasonable price... you may want to look there... (or tell Santa...;))

tarotbear

Tarotbear... I bought my copy on ebay at a very reasonable price... you may want to look there... (or tell Santa...;))

I was just in a brick & mortar Barnes and Nobles and the book is about $10 MORE there than online! I am considering two copies and two copies of the deck so need to take care of the money!

- But someone else also suggested to me to buy a 'previously read' book on ebay ... will look into it! :heart:

ETA - I just did eBay and got two paperback copies shipped for the cost of the full price hardcover! Now to buy the cards!

gregory

Just did pretty well on abe, too :D On its way.

Cerulean

The book fell on the floor in front of me...

I turned it over, saw the cards, thumbed through to see a few spreads/cards and bought the book with my coupon and discount...my Black Friday Xmas gift....and thanks to those who located color versions of the historic deck at a very reasonable price.

I think the fictional method of the reading is curious and I haven't a clue if the method from a 18th-19th Etteilla really was translated into the story as an authentic spread...but I may buy the little handbook in January describing the 'eight' significant cards and reading of the "Stockholm Octavo". It will take me awhile to read the method through the book.

But I did that think that I glimpsed a lovely 'golden connection' ending of the book as very romantic for almost everyone, I would say. Romance of a slightly different nature, but it almost seems like most of the stories of heroes that one comes to like is satisfactorily concluded with a ....sigh....

Thanks for the links and notes! I think it's a good read by the promising glimpses. And there are cards to look at as well and a spread to play with....cheers.

Cerulean