progressed moons

Minderwiz

Hope you don't mind me 'pitching in' here because I'd also appreciate Isthmus' take on this area.

I've read quite a lot about progressions but there is very little in the explanation of why it works that is agreed on. Answers range from 'it just does' to something along the lines that Moongold outlines.

Personally the only explanation that I am comfortable with up to now is that of cycles. Astrology makes a lot of use of cycles - the annual cycle of the Sun (Solar Return), The Lunar Cycle, the Saturn Return and the Jupiter Return are obvious examples.

Astrology also makes use of the Occult Law of Correspondences - As Above So Below. The argument for progressions appears to be that if you look at a cycle which is very short term, you can 'read' the events of the longer term cycles. Thus the cycle of planets during a day corresponds to the cycle of events experienced over a year. If we take the cycle of your life, then the planetary cycle in the first day after birth corresponds to the events of your first year and so on - so the planetary cycle in the seventieth day after your birth corresponds to the events of your seventieth birthday. However, Astrologers as eminent as Rob Hand have said that there is no plausible explanation for secondary progressions (or any other progressions).

Now I said a feel reasonably comfortable with this but I must admit that I don't feel one hundred per cent comfortable - so other ideas are more than welcome.

Incidentally the day for a year progressions (secondary) are not the only ones - Primary progressions take the first six HOURS after birth (360 minutes) or four MINUTES (Time) of planetary motion for each year of life. Tertiary progressions take one day for one lunar month of life and minor progressions take one lunar month for one year of life. There are also a number of other progressions that are rarely used.

To add to the reading list two other good books are 'Secondary Progressions - Time to Remember' by Nancy Anne Hastings and 'Astrology A Language of Life Volume 1 - Progressions' by Robert P Blaschke.

AquarianGoddess

Hi Everyone!!

The Progressed Moon (PM) is my very favorite facet of astrology! I find it fascinating and generally very on target with what's going on in a person's life.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a truly good book about the topic...however, there's an elderly astrologer by the name of Sophie Mason who has written a comprehensive book on Progressions and in it she includes the PM. Sophie has been an astrologer for at least a hundred years (well, just a tad hyperbole!) and knows her stuff.

It's been my experience in looking at hundreds of charts over the years, that the PM usually (about 95% of the time) correspondes to events in a person's life, based on aspects it makes to natal AND transiting planets. The events aren't necessarily "earth-shattering", but nonetheless, a conjunction for example, of the PM to a natal planet(s), will bring SOMETHING related to the planet(s) onto the scene.

Isthmus, take note of the Sun sign of people you meet and perhaps become friends with during this journey of your PM.

I can give you numerous examples from my own life, but don't want to bore anyone....okay, just one example, when PM in Gemini (writing) was transiting my tenth and trine my natal Saturn (ruling the sixth house of work), I wrote an astrology course and taught it at two colleges (non-credit classes). The course was very well-received. It was A LOT of work (Saturn), but did bring rewards!

AG

Moongold

Progressed Moons. Lunar Returns and looney tunes....

The last phrase being a quiet little vent at my occasional frustration in understanding the language and concepts of astrology sometimes. The explanations one reads in books assume a level of knowledge that I don't have.

Now, what is the difference? I think a Progressed Moon can report or reflect a life time's events, whereas a lunar return might only show you one year.

Am I correct? Please help.

Moongold

Astraea

Progressed Moon and Lunar Return

Hi, Moongold! It can really be frustrating to encounter some of the astrological lore and language. A good astrological dictionary/encyclopedia is a blessing! The "Larousse Encyclopedia of Astrology" is the best I've seen -- it might be out of print, but I have seen copies at the second hand book store so I'll bet that Amazon sells it used, even if it's no longer printed. Nicholas Devore's "Encyclopedia of Astrology" is also excellent, and is back in print after many years' absence.

The progressed Moon moves an average of 13 degrees per year (approximately one degree per month), so it's an excellent timer that "sets off" natal and progressed aspects as it contacts them throughout any given year.

The word "progressed" usually refers to the idea of secondary progression, which is a calculation based on the highly abstract notion that each day symbolically represents an entire year of life. So the progressed Moon's movement throughout a twelve-month period represents lunar activity for that whole year.

As Minderwiz points out, there are many other methods used for symbolically advancing the horoscope through time. All of those techniques are mathematically derived, but based on the idea that each time increment encapsulates and summarizes influences for longer-lasting periods. Some astrologers do not use any of these methods, preferring to work with transits, alone (since transits represent actual, rather than symbolic, planetary movements); Donna Cunningham -- a well respected astrologer of many years' standing -- is among them.

Lunar returns are charts cast for the exact time of the Moon's return to its natal position each month. There are thirteen lunar returns in each year, owing to the slight discrepancy between the Moon's speed of motion and the average number of days in a month. A lunar return provides detailed information about a particular month in any given year, whereas the progressed Moon offers a broader view of the Moon's activity throughout the year.

There really is a lot to absorb in astrology, and one never stops learning -- enjoy the journey! :)

isthmus nekoi

Moongold, if it's any consolation, the technicalities of this progressions business is confusing me too! That's what I get for not learning all the calculations behind the natal chart. (I also appreciate the tips too, Astraea!)

Actually Minderwiz, I'm glad you jumped in w/your explanation as I know very little about progressions (but AG was always raving about them so it really stuck out in my head!!). That's also why I asked for resources :p

Thanks for the additional input, AG, nice to see you again! And you are *never* boring! I'll take note of any new sun signs in my life...

Anyways, I might be quiet for awhile - just lurking b/c of schoolwork and such.... but the active threads are fascinating, you'll be hearing from me again ^_^.

Moongold

Update on Progressed Moons

Hi Isthmus,

I hope you are still around. How did you go with your Progressed Moon?

I had my chart read by a professional astrologer on Thursday and it was very ibteresting experience, I strongly recommend it to people because it does make things clear. The astrologer told the story of my life without knowing anything about me. It has increased my interest in astrology and made the learning needs much more focused at this point

But moving on to the point of this post: Progressed Moons. My Progressed Moon is forming a yod with Pluto and Neptune at the moment. I've listened to Daniel's explanation of this and read Christine Shaw and feel very positive about it. I was quite stunned when first hearing Daniel because the emotional shifts he identified with this Yod I have been aware of. He also suggested that I particularly mindful of the houses affected by the yod which are 3rd, 8th and 10th. Family, life and death themes and career.

From what I understand the meaning of the yod depends, naturally, on the planets involved, their placement and other factors.

The whole notion of progressions has become very interesting to me because it's such a creative tool by which you can understand your life. With my progressed chart at the moment, there are other things happening and it all seems quite busy. Actually I've just realised what I've said :joke: . Planet Moongold (gulp) is a very small potato when compared with the Universe.

Would very much like to hear what happened with you in terms of the Progressed Moon stuff.

Moongold

isthmus nekoi

Hi Moongold, that's very sweet of you to remember me. I have to admit, I didn't notice anything special about this conjunction. However, if like AG says, nothing "earth shattering" happens, there was a nice financial transfer recently (8th/Jupiter). It was anticipated and unremarkable (as in, no surprizes - wasn't b/c of someone's death if that's what you're thinking). Although I should mention that this happened to my sister too, and she obviously doesn't have the same placements as me, although it was to a lesser degree.

In any case, I still think the prog moon is worth looking into. Does it turn retrograde? I wouldn't mind having this conj again 2 times over!! ^_^

isthmus nekoi

not sun signs but....

I suddenly realized that 2 good friends I made in the recent past, while having different sun signs are both very Librian w/stelliums in the sign. AG, if you're still around, is this what you meant - when the prog moon traverses a sign, that energy is just more activated around you?

isthmus nekoi

post script

Moongold, if you're still there, I was thinking about the relationships in question and they have been quite 8th house-y.
Death, check. Transformation, check. Power struggles, check. Sexuality, check. Intensity and depth, check. The only thing that really didn't get hilighted was finances which has pretty much been going along the way it's always been.

Actually, it's funny. Waaaaaaay back in 99, (before PM entered 8th house, before tarot/astrology) I was aware of the fact that I was approaching a major psychological death/transformation of sorts and it culminated around Feb of 2003. *sigh* Time to stop smashing up everything and to rebuild my kingdom........

Moongold

Hi Isthmus,

I am still here and learning quietly. I'll going to read over this thread again to uodate myself. I have missed you all.

The trouble is I get overwhelmed with information and try to do the interior decoration before I've finished the framework of the house.

I am still absorbing the learning from the professional reading I had. Trying to understand my chart, lots of Saturn/Pluto 8th House stuff in there for me. Have just started Liz Greene's "Saturn: a new look at an old devil".

As stated earlier, my Progressed Moon was forming a Yod with Pluto and Neptune but I don't fully understand this yet. I think it might be past this now. Do these things change? I imagine they would have to.

Can we have some more discussions about this later, especially your experiences?

Moongold