Motherpeace Tarot anyone?

ehetep

where to begin...

would anyone prefer to start with a major arcana, court card or minor?
styles of doing readings or interesting answers from the cards?

For instance, I may do a reading, and pull 3 cards, not necessarily past present future, but 3 aspects of a situation. A particular card may look interesting or out of place from the other 2, or just call to me more, and I will build on that particular card's story. I'll pull a "situation" and "what needs to be integrated" card under the 'interesting' card forming a triangle to let it further explain itself.

I also noticed that if you are in a very receptive state, you can almost flip the entire deck, one card after the other, and it will tell the story of the situation or people involved. However after about 14-15 cards, I can't absorb any more of the story, though sometimes it is really fascinating to watch it play out.

I also take a peek at the card at the bottom of the deck if I am doing one card readings and I notice that it always speaks of the under the surface reality of the situation.

being_chrysalis

so... any strong opinions one way or the other? card by card works for me.. so does doing exercises... I am really interested in getting a better/deeper understanding of the specific symbolism in the cards..

I have the "Motherpeace - Way to the Goddess" book - which discusses each card.. I know there are other books as well.

Or.. we could start by talking about the cards we identify with the most? :)

ehetep

I would feel a strong affinity for the Priestess of Wands. If I saw her in a reading it would immediately make me feel connected to the situation, give me a warm feeling of strength and being capable, and make me feel mature enough to handle a situation. She looks strong. She is in touch with her femininity, her sense of self, and her abilities. She doesn't need affirmations from others for her sense of worth. She is priestess because she has claimed it to be so, and for her works and deeds. She can be counted on in crisis. She understands the right action to take and she doesn't necessarily wait for others to decide what to do. If it needs to be done, it will get done. She can be bold, but not for shock value, she wants other people to know who they are dealing with when they interact with her. She is straight forward, passionate, and loving.... She walks with a lioness and resembles the Strength card in other tarot decks. She draws strength from the lioness' innate nature. In the wild, it is the lionesses who raise the pride, and hunts for food, always watchful on the plains for the opportunity to get their needs met. However, the lions often function as a team to bring down game, and I feel that this Priestess functions well in relation to others as well. She is the vessel of fire (wands), and others are drawn to her dynamic nature the same way that we would warm our hands at a fire. As she is walking, her eyes look heavy-lidded and her brow knitted in deep thought or reflection, perhaps on the act or deed she has just performed. She looks to have just performed a ritual that appears to have been fruitful, with the sun blazing overhead and the rainbow bursting through the clouds and rain. The rainbow is landing in a pot, which reminds me of a "pot of gold". The pot is surrounded by 5 large stones, heavy material things going through a "5" energy of difficulty. Perhaps there has been some survival, lack of prosperity issues going on and it was necessary for her to do a ritual to correct that situation. Perhaps a drought in the land the community shares. She only does what is necessary to meet needs, or takes an action that needs to be taken. The left side of her body is accented (ankle bracelet, baton de commandment in her hand). It makes me feel that her power comes from the fire of her intuition (right brain) being applied actively (baton), and the path of sacrifice (pisces, feet) that her role in the community demands of her. She cannot think only of her needs, she must think of others as well. Being a Priestess, she is responsible for the spiritual needs of the community, and this is an affirmation of the strenth and power she feels within herself.

Openstars

Reading

It is interesting to find out how others read. I do the 3 card reading daily representing Mind, Body and Spirit. However sometimes I find myself randomly picking out several cards on top of the main 3. Each being able to tell me a piece of the story.

Do others find that they get the same cards over and over again?

Also in the Motherpeace books there are listings for Upright, Left, Right and Reversed. What do others do? Do you read the meanings like this or just do the traditional upright/reversed?

being_chrysalis

I read leaning left as resistance and leaning right as acceptance/mastery.. OR left=coming in and right=leaving

that's how the woman who introduced me to the cards read them.. I know in the most *recent* motherpeace book she does some reversals but not the left/right thing.. which book is that in?

Openstars

Motherpeace left and right

The guidebook that came with my mini deck includes left and right meanings along with reversed.

ehetep

left/right interpretation

I feel that left is holding back on the full expression of the upright meaning or that there is still a gathering of information or self confidence needed. To the right, sometimes I see it as an extra push, extra personal involvement, or a strong need to express themselves in this way. What can sometimes be difficult is interpreting cards when they fall in between the left and right position.

Being Chrysalis, I think the book you might be talking about is the motherpeace playbook where reversals for the majors and minors are discussed and also left/right interpretations for the majors.

I would love to hear everyone else's interpretation of favorite cards! majors. minors, or people cards...

ehetep

Are we still studying?

I was pretty excited to see this study group starting up but it seems we have lost momentum. Motherpeace often gets negative publicity for its woman centered views but I have always seen it as a treasure. We all have so much to do day to day, and I can see how we might not have time to return to a forum. Its a shame though. I think that this deck has so much to offer if given an opportunity to hear its voice speaking through those who have absorbed and intergrating its wisdom.

Colby

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to join this study group... is that ok?

My first deck was Motherpeace and I love them... I love the colours, the symbolism, the images and the fact that they are round (no rough edges).

So where is the group at with regards to the deck?

Look forward to joining you all