Sacred Circle Study (reactivated): 8-The Warrior

Fulgour

_____

Scatha, pictured standing on a hill overlooking the Callanish
Stone Circle

Scatha (Scathach), a great warrior Goddess whose name means
"she who strikes fear", was also called "the shadowy one".
She lived on the Isle of Skye, Scotland, and taught many of the
legendary Celtic heroes all their skills, including battlefield magic.
She is described as Cuchulainn's teacher in the Táin Bó Cualgne.

_____

Fulgour

"A borage plant grows at her feet..."

From the earliest of times, borage is credited with inducing calm
and fortitude and was once thought to bring courage to the heart.
It was usually steeped in wine or brandy and given to travellers
before a long journey, or to soldiers before battle. The Welsh name
for borage, llawenlys, translates as herb of gladness. The Celtic word
borrach means, courage. Added to wine, the Celts believed borage
helped bring courage to face enemies in battle and was thought to
help instil increased courage in warriors, or at least warm the chill.

magpie9

I’ve had the Warrior out by the computer for several days now, looking at me…I am impressed with her total stillness, I can almost see the grass behind her move in a slight breeze, the whisper of movement in her hair, the badgers fur…the borage almost growing.
But she herself is still.
How many of us know how to be still?

She is a Spiritual Warrior, trained to stillness within and without. She stands ready to defend her territory, a badger at her feet. Their missions are very similar, both knowing what they will fight for, and what they will not. Life, home, tribe, and the children are the touchstones that they will fight and die for.
How many of us know that much clearly about ourselves?

She stands at a boundary, her home safely behind her, in a fold of the hills, or on a mountain. This, still, is a boundary; no one will pass it without her permission.
How many of us hold our boundaries sacred?

She holds her sword at ready, but it seems to me that this sword is representing communication, the mental arts, quickness of mind and tongue-her first line of either defense or offence. Why spill blood if words can solve the differences?
How many of us are wise enough to take that path?

She wears the tattooed armbands of the Celtic warrior. She is not new at this. Her people would not trust a new warrior to have the skill, the knowledge, the discipline, dedication and fluent tongue to guard this boundary. They send their best.
How many of us send our best self out to guard our boundaries?

* edited for spelling

magpie9

floracove, I love what you see in the warrior--and so beautifully put. thank you.

MeeWah

This Warrior a warrior both of the spiritual & the earthly realms, possessed of an inner strength that comes from the wisdom of experience & years. Strength not of brawn nor might, but of an understanding of consequences; of action & reaction. Thus, any move made or action taken of a studied approach.

A true warrior need not show her hand too soon, for being too quick on the draw or subject to impulsiveness not borne of prudence nor wisdom. May render one vulnerable for lack of attention to "a blind spot". Thus, this warrior knows how to bide her time; to see if action actually necessary or other means of the more diplomatic may be employed first.

At times & depending on circumstance, she may proceed as a hunter stalking her prey. She moves silently & swiftly with an economy of motion that speaks of knowledge & skill. Once she heads into action/battle, no holds barred as she brings her entire being to bear. Woe to any who may not meet her equally.

One of few words, the strength is also in knowing whence to keep silent; to hold one's own counsel & not reveal the thoughts. She expresses what she means, & means that expressed with every atom of her being.

Within her stillness she communes with the forces of nature & seeks balance. The creatures of the woods & the fields know her & accept her, for she communes in like manner & observes the natural law.

magpie9

WOW
WOW, MeeWah, that is sooooooo good. Thank you. :) Lots to think on, there.

Fulgour

By Nikki Gibson ~ Model for The Warrior

Only after the last tree has been cut down

Only after the last river has been polluted

Only after the last fish has been caught

Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten

[size=1.5]THE ECO WARRIOR COLUMN 1[/size]

inanna_tarot

I dont think i can add to what has already been said.
Personally though, i really like this Warrior, it speaks to my own inner warrior, my own Will and sometimes stubborn nature. I find that i have a strong sense of loyalty, to family and friends, seeing if they are wronged then its like i've been wronged and i do and meddle and try to win back some crazy kind of honour. I'm probably also full of some macho crap with that and too much haste, but this card could really teach me to be alert and wait for the opportune moment. Waiting is fullness afterall, only i can only wait for so long lol.
The way she stands as well reminds me of someone doing TaiChi (sorry i've spelt that wrong) - the fluid movements and looking of peace and meditation really being movements for battle and war, like the way the badger digs his setts and strengthens his muscles and claws in case of a real battle. Everything in the picture moves, and is waiting for trouble to appear in this gorgeous setting.
I really do like this 'biker-chick' and she will hang around my room for a while, hopefully she'll rub off on me :p

Sezo
x

Jewel-ry

Most of what I have to say has pretty much been covered here but I would like to say that I really like the way the different symbolism has been interwoven. The story of Scathach who is represented by the warrior, the badger and the borage all complement each other really well.

I have the Animal-Wise Tarot, which I have never used in any sense of the word, and have dug out the book from the box and Ted Andrews does have some interesting facts about the animals in this deck.

The Badger is self reliant and practical. He is powerful, skilful, courageous and willful but what I liked was the reference to him 'knowing how the Earth works'. He has great knowledge of minerals, roots and herbs and so he can carry healing energy. I like that. I also like to hang meanings on little sayings and 'dig deep' is great for this card.

Notice also, that Scathach is known as the 'shadowy one' and you can just see the shadow of her sword across her right arm. She had psychic powers and was also knowledgeable about healing (ties in with the badger imo).

Overall, I like this Warrior, but then I generally have an affinity with the Strength card so maybe thats carried through to this deck too! Inicidentally the Lughnasa games usually occured in August!

Interesting thread everyone

~