View Single Post
Citizen

dadsnook2000 
Citizen

Dadsnook comments on long-term prediction

Minderwiz has classified prediction as falling into three groupings; long term, medium term and short term. This is a reasonable format in which we can place the many varied methods of prediction. This post will look at "long term" prediction in terms of both mundane and personal prediction.

The process which will support long term prediction is that of cycles involving the outer planets. Some postulate that the outer planets have no personal meaning in our charts. They may not have personal importance in some cases but they will have personal importance in other cases. Let us first explore how they can be seen to operate.

I would call everyone's attention to several books that offer compelling examples of the workings of the outer planets:

** COSMOS and PSYCHE by Richard Tarnas was published a year or two ago and addresses the cycles of pairs of outer planets that are identified by their conjunction points/dates. This 560+ page book is filled with endless research and examples covering history from 2500 years ago up until today.
The cycles of Pluto-Neptune, Pluto-Uranus, Pluto-Saturn, Pluto-Jupiter, Neptune-Uranus, Neptune-Saturn, Neptune-Jupiter, Uranus-Saturn, Uranus-Jupiter, Saturn-Jupiter are covered in terms of their impact on wars, politics, economic development, science, the arts, and natural events. I would estimate that there are literally thousands of examples given. This is a book of great value --- but it is difficult to read and stay with it until the end. It took me a year to finish it for the first reading.

** On a more personal and readable level, THE ASTROLOGY OF MIDLIFE AND AGING by Erin Sullivan will illustrate how planetary cycles can relate to each of us in a very personal way. This 220+ page paperback is a terrific resource for astrologers and students who want to better understand life trends for those who are approaching their 40's and 50's, or who are older. The cycles are related to peoples charts --- meaning that the birth position of the planet is the "starting point" and the progress of the planet through the chart is the cycle. In addition to these one-planet cycles, Erin Sullivan also looks at how two-planet cycles fit into personal charts.

** Betty Lundsted's PLANETARY CYCLES also takes the above approach.

** Liz Greene's THE OUTER PLANETS AND THEIR CYCLES is based on several lectures she gave over a period of time. She uses the charts of famous personalities to discus a variety of cycles. Her book, and others of this nature, are a bit fragmented as she jumps from one cycle to the next within the context of the chart she is talking about. However, the material is good if you can read and assimilate the jumbled nature of the material.

If you look for them there are many books of planetary cycles.

Permit me to first note "Two-Planet" cycles. These cycles use the conjunction point to define the start of the cycle. This cyclic approach is most easily seen in terms of how it shows up in our history, our mundane and political events. The opposition and quardtrature points are important. These two-planet cycles are great for mundane trends and are only of interest in a personal chart if that cycle is tied in to the angles or Sun or the planets (natal version of the cyclic planets) themselves.

It is often interesting to examine your own chart for where these two-planet cycles started out (their last conjunction point) and see if 1) that starting point has relevance to your chart, or 2) to see where your version of those planets are in your chart to determine what their "phase relationship" means and how you play a role in that larger scheme.

One-planet cycles always relate to the transiting position (now or in the future or in the past) of a planet relative to its natal positioning. The Saturn return is one example that many talk about, but the quadrature points, as well as the entrance into each house of your chart, define very important trends in one's life. You must first understand 1) the eight-fold cyclic definition that Rudhyar defined in his LUNATION CYCLE or which Marc Robertson defined in his ENGINE OF DESTINY. Once those cyclic books are assimilated and you have a firm understanding of "houses", you can look ahead in any chart and easily predict the basic trends of ones life. Having a context or understanding of the person's age and lifestyle, one can use the natal chart to make more specific predictions -- not detailed but still quite definitive in a general sense.

So, to summarize, long term prediction is based on cycles. These comments have dwelled upon two-planet cycles as they relate to world events, and may in some cases link into some personal natal charts, and upon one-planet cycles as the transiting planet relates to a natal planet position. I have not looked a other cycles such as the metonic-or-solar cycle, various lunar cycles, or any of the vedic or joytish cycles. I'll leave it to others to comment on those.

There is a lot to cover in terms of "prediction" and I doubt that we will be able to cover it all in any depth on a website, but we can at least identify and recognize the many approaches to prediction. Understanding "cycles" is part of the overall process. Dave
Top   #7