The Quest Tarot study group

JosephMartin

Other deck Systems

dolphinprincess said:
One question - do the minors in this deck take after the Thoth? Would books on that deck help at all with this one?

My deck takes inspiration from many sources. I researched hundreds of decks and talked with many many readers about their feelings about the Tarot throughout the process of creating the deck. Some inspirations come from the classic Rider/Waite, the Thoth Tarot and many others.

Using a different book to read with the cards wouldn't be recomended only because there are so many different features in the Quest Tarot that another book wouldn't contain those features or insights.

Thanks for the question,
Joseph

JosephMartin

More answered

scheherazade said:
Does it try to do too much? Do the various features of the deck ever confuse you? How much value do you put in the cards' keywords?

All good questions. I'll try to briefly give my thoughts on this.

The deck only does too much, in my humble opinion, if you try to incorporate each and every feature at the same time. I don't even use all the features in every reading. Sometimes I'll even use a feature in a non-traditional way as when a "hair color" feature was seen by me as being brushed metal. I told the gentleman who was having the reading that I was seeing alot of brushed metal all around him. After the reading he told me he was a mechanic and was restoring a car by sanding off the paint down the the bare metal.

The vairous features actually don't confuse me. The ones I use the most are the Astrological signs, the time indicators, the border colors, the card numbers and the people indicators. That may sound like alot but these are the basics that make readings that much more indepth.

The Keywords:

Now for the big one. The keywords were added near the very end by the suggestion of Llewellyn. I agreed with with arguements for adding them onto the cards. It does make it easier for people to get started with the cards right out of the box. Especially when the deck has so many features that may cause some people to be nervous about using them.

For experienced readers I have recommended that they simply take a brown sharpee permanent ink pen and dot them out. It's easy to do and some people actually have done that.

It really is up to you and how you like to read. Luckily this brown sharpee works quite well.

Thanks,
Joseph

JosephMartin

Re: Question for Joseph

Wisp Wings said:
Am I right to think this is the order that you use in resetting your deck?

I have changed my shufffling of all my decks to the manner you use. It is a wonderful way to natural work the shuffling. Also the manner you told to turn the card for placement is different than what I was doing before.

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly but here goes ...

You can "reset" the deck to a pure state by the method mentioned in the book or by any purification technique you find that works for you.

The Shuffle that resets the deck between readings is actually not a "total" reset of the deck but instead a way to be throughly convinced that you have randomized the cards to a neutral state before the next use.

I have talked with a Mathmatician about what would be necessary to "reset" the deck and developed this method (as mentioned in the book) to use and have used it in every reading I've done with great success.

Thanks,
Joseph

mingbop

the best thing to me in this deck is the sheer depth of meaning on each card--and the language is clear and easy to understand..--It doesn't matter to me whatever design/picture is on the cards themselves, although ugly boring decks are a bit off-putting--because the way I read, the words I want jump out of the page & I dont bother with the actual picture. But your language & insight is almost perfect....almost because its just a wee bit too californian at times for a staid old scot !!

BlueLotus

Mr. Martin

I have been a 'proud' owner of this deck for about a couple of months, and have done some 'extensive' readings with it, with the exclusion of other decks I own - at least for the first few weeks ( I own about 20 decks ).
I found that I really like this deck , and that it gives me accurate readings every time.
I had been using the Yes/No feature, in addition to some spreads suggested by the book, and I am also glad to have learned the shuffling procedure, which I use now with my other decks as well.
My question is when reading for myself, and turning the cards face up, I usually make this so they come out upside down. Is this the correct way to read them for myself? Also when I need a yes/no answer, does the same shuffling technique apply to the court carts ( all 16 of them lol )? and the turning of the cards is also done bottom side up? This is very important question because otherwise it is not the right way, and not the right answers
And Thank you a lot for a very creative, and very entertaining deck. I love the I ching feature :). The book is invaluable in its depth too

BlueLotus

How is everyone doing with ther QT so far?

Has anyone seen the new updated site? It is great.

I wonder if Mr. Martin is really busy nowadays with fairs, and other readings, since he hasn't been posting much, ....I think.

As for me, I got my deck from its hiding place, and placed it alongside my newest deck, The Shining Tribe.

I definitely and wholeheartedly believe that the QT is one of the most stunning decks I own, and the size and feel of it is just perfectly right.

Although I like the court cards, and their interpretations, I think that their reversed meanings ( as per the book ) may be a bit negative, and sometimes even very unfair. How does anyone interpret the reversed cards? As per the book? Intuition? Shadow meaning? i.e. not entirely the opposite of upright, but rather a diminished version of it. Anyone...??

So if one shuffles the deck according to Mr. Martin's method, you are definitely getting one or more of these reversed cards in the spread.

Well, .....!

mingbop

reversed

just read what you get---i find with my family that say one son is son of stones---he can at times turn into son of stones rev....it can be a bad spell/mood/period......dont ignore reversals,(my opinion anyway), they there for a reason !!!

BlueLotus

Re: reversed

mingbop said:
just read what you get---i find with my family that say one son is son of stones---he can at times turn into son of stones rev....it can be a bad spell/mood/period......dont ignore reversals,(my opinion anyway), they there for a reason !!!

I was concerned because I also did a reading for my daughter, and she turned out as a daughter of wands, reversed.

Maybe she is not feeling her real self nowadays. I haven't seen her in a while, so I guess it makes some sense.

True, I did always think of her as daughter of wands, since she is also an Aries, but I was not aware that she may also carry the other unfavorable side of that card.

Time to ponder *sigh*

mysticalowl

This is by far one of the best decks I have used. Recently I did a reading where someone was looking at different options. I kept seeing the same letters pop up over and over again. When I asked him...he was amazed that the letters were the starting letters of his first choice. Was quite an amazing experience!

Phoenix Rising

Quest Study Group

I would like to be in a study group for this deck. I am a beginner of 3 months ago. I've been absolutely amazed at the accuracy of the Quest deck. I've written down all the readings that I have done for people and can relate back to it, and i can see how everything fits together. I also draw 3 cards each day to see what's in store and at the end of the day I write down all that has happened and then am able to relate it to the cards, it's always accurate, but I learn better this way. i also study 2 cards and write down what it means to me, i try not to look at the book as much, but it seems to be working for me. But I find that I am able to flow with what I have to say with these cards, so I'm definitely connected to them. I haven't customised the blank card yet, but it pops up now and then, I just say something is unknown at this point and time.
Look forward to starting up so please put me in the group, I would love to share with you all.
Lucille