Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

foolMoon

yep what I am saying is that whether it is predetermined or random, it is beyond the scope of our knowledge. But prediction can still be attempted regardless.

gregory

Even when future is random, prediction can still be made.

For example, using a spread something like,

card 1 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 2
card 3 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 4
card 5 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 6
card 7 8 9 is advice for this situation.

Only the querent can decide which option and advice to take after the reading.
But that does mean you have options and the future is not set.

closrapexa - yes indeed; I believe that every possible outcome actually takes place - but that doesn't mean that every possible prediction is true. If that makes sense.

foolMoon

But that does mean you have options and the future is not set.

closrapexa - yes indeed; I believe that every possible outcome actually takes place - but that doesn't mean that every possible prediction is true. If that makes sense.

Prediction is mere attempt to guess future regardless future is set or not, whether you have options or not, because future will come and be present eventually no matter what. As you said, every prediction is not true.

Farzon

What I want to know is - if we believe that a reading foretells the future absolutely spot on, and that the future is set in stone - see under predestination - what is the point of getting a reading ?

(Don't knee jerkily react here - wait - )

BECAUSE - a few people have said "we can use that information to get advice on how to prepare for that event we now know about."

But you CAN'T.

BECAUSE - if the future is set in stone, you are already programmed to DO that as well, and programmed for the exact preparations you are believing you are making on the basis of that reading and on the basis of that prediction - so there is no point to it at all.

So either we believe that there is a point to reading, so that we can glean advice on how to achieve better outcomes (my own view) or we believe that the reading accurately predicts the future - in which case all you have gained is foreknowledge, about which you can do exactly nothing, including preparing for it, as your reactions and preparations are already foreordained.

There have been enough examples cited here of how changing the parameters of circumstance and of behaviour has changed the predicted outcome for me to buy into that aspect of it, personally. But for those who believe the reading predicts a set future - where do you go from there ?
As I said, I belive Tarot shows a possible future.

A few months ago I did a reading about a certain situation and what to do about it. It was a leave-or-stay-question. Tarot advised me to go; I stayed.

I did readings on this situation some more times and kept getting the Tower. What I took from that was: even if I stay and manage to change the situation, it will crumble down. This was one of the rare situations I was sure that the reading will come true.
I managed to get a satisfying solution to the situation, but knew it wouldn't last.

So I just carried on... I didn't do anything special or changed my behavior in any way. I was just not that surprised when it finally happened.

Nikita_

At least in the realisations that come with the quantum view, one realises, that at times, for whatever reasons, Tarot CAN make a true prediction.

Why should, out of all the things we use in life, Tarot have to deliver the goods every single time without fail ... or not at all?

Nothing is that hard and and constant IMO ... even the laws of physics;

e.g. water boils at 100 deg C ..... but only at sea level.

As to the how and why of tarot 'working' or 'not working' .... we just dont know, although we can speculate ... but that doesnt change the outcomes .

" At times, for whatever reason, it can...? " You forgot to say perhaps and maybe....
If there are many possible futures, and any of them is just as likely to come true, and at the last moment any silly small change or event can change the direction of things, there is absolutely no use in trying to predict one of the zillions of possible outcomes....
" For whatever reason ? " Well, the same reason why someone wins the lottery, maybe...sheer luck.

EyeAmEye

What I want to know is - if we believe that a reading foretells the future absolutely spot on, and that the future is set in stone - see under predestination - what is the point of getting a reading ?

The desire to know of something beforehand most likely stems from some level of dissatisfaction in their current predicament, regardless of whether or not someone believes they can change that future. Isn't it nice to believe that if you are currently dissatisfied with life that it will ultimately improve regardless of what you are currently doing?

That and simple curiosity. Forbidden knowledge will always be more interesting than the mundane.

EyeAmEye

As I said, I belive Tarot shows a possible future.

A few months ago I did a reading about a certain situation and what to do about it. It was a leave-or-stay-question. Tarot advised me to go; I stayed.

I did readings on this situation some more times and kept getting the Tower. What I took from that was: even if I stay and manage to change the situation, it will crumble down. This was one of the rare situations I was sure that the reading will come true.
I managed to get a satisfying solution to the situation, but knew it wouldn't last.

So I just carried on... I didn't do anything special or changed my behavior in any way. I was just not that surprised when it finally happened.

Unless I'm misreading your post (which is quite possible), this seems to be suggesting that you believe the ultimate outcome of the situation was not changed by your decision. Whether you stayed or left, you eventually ended up in the same spot?

I personally believe there are a few key spots in our life that this will happen. This is where part of our future is "set in stone" so to speak. This is where the tarot will predict with true accuracy.

EyeAmEye

I always joke with friends about the concept of every possible outcome taking place using myself.

At one point in my young life, I wanted to be a basketball star. Being that I am only 5'5 and don't really have any basketball skills whatsoever, this gets quite a chuckle when I postulate that somehow if I tried hard enough I could have been the next Michael Jordan...

It's a fascinating topic, but I simply can't believe that everything is possible. Given that, I think the narrowing of the playing field is where tarot can help guide us to the potential best outcome for us, even if the best outcome wasn't so great at all. At least in certain things, because I still do believe there are some things in our life that are set in stone.

Farzon

Unless I'm misreading your post (which is quite possible), this seems to be suggesting that you believe the ultimate outcome of the situation was not changed by your decision. Whether you stayed or left, you eventually ended up in the same spot?

I personally believe there are a few key spots in our life that this will happen. This is where part of our future is "set in stone" so to speak. This is where the tarot will predict with true accuracy.
Exactly. It happens not very often in my readings but sometimes, Tarot predicts events I can't possibly influence in any way. The disadvantage of such readings is, you might have an idea about the future but you will only know for sure after the events took place.

I knew things couldn't stay the same... I was appreciating it to be honest. But I could never have foreseen the Tower coming as a media scandal, turning things upside down.

ravenest

I have this 'thing' about a card meaning containing a 'remedy' for 'that type of event' ... it doesnt have to be exactly the same type of event. Seeing the Tower coming can prepare one for a general plan of action, the event might be serious or minor, media scandal or back pain.

One might have an indication that one's special space will be disrupted; it could be a home invasion, a bad relationship partner choice, even going out when one is more in an 'Hermit space'. I see the same messages in the 4 of discs (for example) as applicable to all those.

Each reading then gives a message or lesson, its there if it happens (the reading 'comes true' ) and one still has the knowledge if it doesnt eventuate, it may later.

When I have read for people like this, they may say; yes, I know exactly what this is about, its an issue I am having now, or they might take it as wise advise, some have returned and given feedback that something did happen and the advice in the reading (not that something will happen or not, but what courses of action are best in that situation) has helpful and relevant.

Then again some never returned and gave me any feedback, so .... who knows? <shrug> .

My usage of tarot may be unusual though .