What was your worst Tarot reading ever

Awakened Queen

When I was in my 20s and naive, I was scammed by a gypsy for $500. I went to her for a tarot reading, and she told me that she needed to do additional "spiritual work" on me for $500. I suffered from depression, and I always felt like I was in a funk, so I figured she knew what she was talking about. It's the oldest psychic scam in the book. Lesson learned. She was psychic, because she did know certain things, but she used her abilities to line her own pockets. There are some awful people out there who dupe people out of their money under the guise of a "psychic" or "healer." There are also some incredibly gifted intuitives and healers who change lives with their good will and abilities.

Laurelle

When I was in my 20s and naive, I was scammed by a gypsy for $500. I went to her for a tarot reading, and she told me that she needed to do additional "spiritual work" on me for $500. I suffered from depression, and I always felt like I was in a funk, so I figured she knew what she was talking about. It's the oldest psychic scam in the book. Lesson learned. She was psychic, because she did know certain things, but she used her abilities to line her own pockets. There are some awful people out there who dupe people out of their money under the guise of a "psychic" or "healer." There are also some incredibly gifted intuitives and healers who change lives with their good will and abilities.

Similar experience. I was 15. I lived with my parents. I had gotten a woman's number from Prodigy (remember the online version of AOL?).

So I called. She said there was "bad energy." And tried to sell me a very expensive candle, which I bought, but I was suppose to send her the money order (I didn't have a checking account or credit card).

I wanted to pay her, so I sent her some money, but couldn't afford it all. I was, after all, 15. I was very worried that without the candle my life would fall into despair!

Then she called the house......and when my dad found out he was upset! He told her that she had no legal rights to ask a 15 year-old for money. Then he told her that no one was sending her 500 dollars for a magic candle. And if she didn't stop calling he would take her to small claims court over the 100 I had already sent her.

She told my dad, "I can see where all that negative energy is coming from!" And then she tried to sell my dad another candle!

We all laughed at that.

Awakened Queen

Similar experience. I was 15. I lived with my parents. I had gotten a woman's number from Prodigy (remember the online version of AOL?).

So I called. She said there was "bad energy." And tried to sell me a very expensive candle, which I bought, but I was suppose to send her the money order (I didn't have a checking account or credit card).

I wanted to pay her, so I sent her some money, but couldn't afford it all. I was, after all, 15. I was very worried that without the candle my life would fall into despair!

Then she called the house......and when my dad found out he was upset! He told her that she had no legal rights to ask a 15 year-old for money. Then he told her that no one was sending her 500 dollars for a magic candle. And if she didn't stop calling he would take her to small claims court over the 100 I had already sent her.

She told my dad, "I can see where all that negative energy is coming from!" And then she tried to sell my dad another candle!

We all laughed at that.

Good to hear your dad stepped in! They prey on vulnerable, naïve people. Can you imagine taking money from a 15 year-old girl? Think about the karma those people must accrue. There was a lawsuit in NYC where a psychic had scammed a man out of 100s of thousands of dollars. It's unreal.

Enlightenment23

We all laughed at that.

LOL! That's absolutely hilarious! I'm glad your dad put that lady in her place. I, too, have been told something similar. A few years back, a psychic lady told me that someone put a curse on me and asked me to purchase a $25 candle. And I'm quite frugal and I was already pissed off that I paid for a sh**y palm reading that was 70% inaccurate. Truth be told, I would rather walk around with said "curse" than spend my hard-earned cash on a damn candle. I thought that I'd find some way to make some DIY counter-curse candle instead :laugh:.

But now I know that candle nonsense is pure BS. :rolleyes:

There was a lawsuit in NYC where a psychic had scammed a man out of 100s of thousands of dollars. It's unreal.

I remember that! It was a man that was in love with a woman...one of your typical unrequited love stories. So he went to a psychic that assured him that he and this woman were "twin flames" and the only thing keeping them apart was "negativity." She said she could get rid of said "bad energy" with $2500. He actually gave her the $2500...and another $9,000 after another visit!

The lady even asked him to give her a diamond ring to "protect" his energy. He actually went and got her a $40k ring from Tiffany's...

The rest of the story can be read here for anyone who is interested:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/06/n...r-now-his-fortune-is-gone.html?referrer=&_r=2

DownUnderNZer

One of the worst stories I heard, from one of the German women that taught me how to read the GT (Lenormand), was a "friend" of hers that was ripped off by a Psychic reader.

She lost thousands of dollars and even signed her house over. Either Germany or the USA. Cant remember which as my Lenormand teacher affiliated with both countries as her husband was American.

In 2009 it was still going through court (or something equivalent) to get the house back.

She was a very lonely elderly lady that had lost her husband, so was really vulnerable when she went to this woman. Shame as the Psychic was very talented as a reader except for the scamming "black candle" lifting curse part that cost $10, 000 per house clean or more.

The reading itself was fine - just not the "curses" and "scamming" part which went beyond a simple house clean.

It cost her - her home.

Padma

Just all goes to prove "Caveat Emptor". Let the buyer beware!

I have spoken about my worst reading ever here before - the reader "cursed" me, and advised me to go back to my violent ex husband.

Yeah, sorry, no :)

Mohanisha

I went for a astro+tarot reading

Last week I paid huge money for a tarot reading on some really pressing issues .

I was left so disappointed and feel angry for the huge money paid her.

She is masquerading herself as knowing Western astrology and Tarot.

From the reading it was obvious she lacked any credential she claimed to have. I am not able to write bad review for her anywhere as she is not listed herself anywhere. She accepts reading requests only through her website

Achlys

But now I know that candle nonsense is pure BS. :rolleyes:
I find affirmation candles, etc. to be quite helpful...just not ones I've been overcharged for from some quack who's taken "psychic" as their modus operandi!

My worst reading was from some woman who does "tarot and psychic" readings in her house. The front part of it is set up like an office and then she takes you to a room in the back.
She was incredibly rude the entire time. Surprisingly, she didn't hit me with the "Buy X and I'll remove your curse/negativity" nonsense, but she kept insisting I was going to have kids by 23 (Never happened. I can't physically have kids and definitely don't have the funds to adopt. I also am not a fan in the slightest of children), would be married at 21 (Also never happened), and would die at 36 in a car crash (Hoping that doesn't happen!). When I told her that those things didn't particularly resonate with me (I was 18 at the time), she snapped, "I don't care if it does or doesn't, that's what's going to happen!"

Her shop is still there and I have no idea how.

QueenOfTemperance

Great idea Aunty Anthea. I've both laughed and been disgusted by some of these stories. I just can't believe the gall of some people.

@Citrin I've had some crappy experiences giving feedback for other readers as well. I used to exchange on another board online. I was given a timing reading by a reader who wanted to practice. She described the job I had just interviewed for very well - some things were off but overall I felt she was on track so I felt pretty confident in her prediction. Her reading said I would DEFINITELY get a job offer. She was very positive and upbeat saying that it was just a matter of getting the paperwork together but that I got it and I would be notified within a short period of time. Unfortunately, I did not get a job offer nor did I get my rejection letter within the time period she specified. I popped back on the board to tell her the unfortunate news. I felt I was really respectful - I thanked her for her time and provided feedback on the timing of the events for her notes. Her response was rude, saying "I cannot control how your energy changes because of the reading nor how it might affect the outcome. I foresaw a high probability that you would get the job but that it wasn't 100%. My reading was accurate." Umm....ok. Lol. Needless to say, I don't read with that group anymore :)

Even though that was a crappy experience, my worst reading was relatively recent. I am so annoyed with myself for doing this because I should have known better, but oh well. Earlier this year, I was contacted by a woman that somehow got my information from (what I thought) was a reputable reading site. She said she felt called to me and wanted to know if I'd be interested in an extensive life path reading. I was leery but up until this point I had had pretty good experiences with readings so I figured I'd be open to her "style". She gave me quite the runaround - told me she needed money for some bulls&*t candle and some other "supplies" (@Laurelle and @AwakenedQueen sounds similar). I paid $300 for the reading which was going to take her 3 days to complete. She also said she needed me to send her a brief life history (red flag) before she could do her work. I knew I made a bad choice as soon as she asked me for my life history, but I had already paid her and was feeling a bit of buyer's remorse so I ended up putting some basic information together and sending it to her. 3 days later she called me and babbled about how my guides wouldn't leave her alone and that I SO needed her help. She spent 30 minutes telling me some BS story about how my guides were wandering trying to find me but my energy was so black they couldn't see me and they were panicking because they knew I needed their help *eyeroll*. She then spent about 15 minutes basically reading my life story back to me and throwing in some nonsense deductions about the events I listed. Nothing psychic at all about it.

What made the reading the worst I've ever had though, was how she reacted after she told me all this nonsense. She tried to rope me into another, more expensive reading in order to connect me to my guides. I respectfully thanked her for her time and said I didn't have any need for further readings. She began to get hostile with me, saying that I apparently really needed her help because I didn't even realize how much trouble I was in. Again I told her I wasn't interested. She then told me that she could see why I wasn't successful right now and started to put me down saying that if I refuse her help I was basically going to screw up my life and end up a "loser". I was so taken aback by her rudeness I just hung up.

Seriously, there are some really sh#tty people out there. It's no wonder people are leery of anyone who claims to be psychic or uses tools like the Tarot. If you're open to the wrong kind of person, anything can be twisted by people looking to make some money off of your vulnerability. I am no longer on that site because this crazy person should never have been able to contact me in the first place. Not cool but live and learn, right?

My heart goes out to the people who don't call these people out on their BS - or at least do it after spending 10s of thousands of their hard earned dollars. Such a crime.

Citrin

I had a kind of crappy reading this summer, or if it was spring...

An online reader had a donation based reading week and I thought that sounded pretty cool, I was in the mood for a reading by someone else anyway. I don't usually go for her kind of tarot style, because it's very "light" and "angelic", but I felt this calling to try it out, and besides she does seem to be a very nice person! I like supporting people in the tarot community, since I feel I get their support as well. :)

I was in the mood for a more spiritual type of reading, had really pondered where my life's direction was going... So I decided to ask something like "Can you tell my about my life's purpose?".

Now, since the reader had received more requests than she expected she had decided to change the way they were presented, and instead of getting a photo of the spread + a PDF she would just write an e-mail, no photo. To me, this isn't fair, because I paid for a more professional layout! But oh well, I got over it and thought whatever, I can paste it into a PDF if I want to...

Then the reading arrived, later than promised, and it was completely pointless. She went on a ramble about how it can be tough to figure out life's purpose, the Universe will take its time sometimes bla bla bla... And the whole thing (well it was like half a page so not so much) ended with "So what you are being advised is to sit down and REALLY think about what your life's purpose could be.".

I honestly started laughing. She had just returned the question I had asked her in the first place! I had paid around 12-13 dollars to get asked the question I had sent her weeks ago. Whaaat?! Haha not returning to that reader that's for sure... I was surprised to see reviews of her readings on Etsy, all 5 star reviews. But I guess some people just want some fluffy comfort instead of ANSWERS. ;)