Margarete Petersen : Two of Cups

firemaiden

Link to image: Zwei der Kelche

Description: Beaded streams of light pour and swirl about the center square image of a Goblet between two profiles. Within the Goblet, and within each profile, are myriad images from ancient cultures - of gods and goddesses. What do you see?

Translation

• Love - loving congress - emotional exchange - Romance. A gift is given and received. Mutual dependence, togetherness. The need to open oneself and share on an emotional level. To drink from the cup of another, to intermix. Pictures which flow into one another. No longer a distinction between mine and yours. To be mirrored, to melt, into another. To open up to the stream of images from the unconscious. Deep inner desires and perceptions, the thinner the veil of projections becomes, the clearer contact to others will be. The cups will be drunk dry. What is on the ground? A puzzle: am I you, or are you me?

Aoife

I see profiles contained within a central frame..... two people coming together, creating an intimate space - a unique experience, excluding all others, separate from yet remaining connected to their external worlds.

I see profiles staring intently into the eyes of the other, oblivious of all but the other. Their expressions suggests intensity, challenge, caution, passion - but perhaps more than anything - appraisal and exploration. Are they questioning what the other person and can bring to them, what they can give to the other? Are they looking for their reflection in the eyes of the other? Are they searching for wholeness through and with the other? I'm reminded of my belief that a true understanding of equality is based on valuing difference. I want to caution them not to drown in the gaze of the other - to retain their separateness so that their coming together is based on desire not need.

That this is the early stages of the relationship is reinforced by the contents of the goblet formed between them, brought into existence by their coming together. The contents are not yet blended, may never be - their histories, beliefs and experiences may never be reconciled. For the moment the goblet remains between them.

I see lots of embedded sexual imagery [but then I was searching for it - lol]

firemaiden

Well I see that famous statuette of Venus, what other sex symbols. Go on... don't be shy!

Little Baron

Flashes of possibility ....

For me, this card is like a first meeting. An understanding. A connection.

Have you ever had an unspoken understanding? Have your eyes ever met with someone in the street, or as you go up the escalator and they are coming down. That one moment of chemistry that needs not one word. It is almost as if a hundred words have been spoken without even saying one. That feeling sends your heart fluttering and every emotional and watery cavern in your body to burst like a dam. And that is what I feel is happening here.

They are probably a man and woman, but to me, as a gay man, I see them as men. They look the same, but they are different. That cup is pressed towards their eyes. It stands between them. It is emotion that they share. Love, maybe. Love in it's early stages. If not love, then the possibility. When we share these flashes of possibility, water rushes in and takes us over. This card feels very positive to me. It reminds me of the dizziness of a crush. It doesn't have the substance of a strong and developed relationship, but it has the excitement of a friendship or new love interest. Right now, the faces gaze at one another, but they are blocked by lack of experience and grounding. If I drew this card tomorrow, I would consider the future of new posibilities and pay attention to the beginnings of what might be new emotional sharings.

LB

firemaiden

Oh my, LB, your 9500th post, I am honored you spent it on this thread! I love your reading of this card.

Little Baron

firemaiden said:
Oh my, LB, your 9500th post, I am honored you spent it on this thread! I love your reading of this card.

Thanks FM. And I love the card. It brings something out in me that I can relate to. In another thread, I commented on how the suit of cups is like being submerged into a pool of water - dark in it's depths, but soft, foamy and light in others. That the water, as it rushes past your ears, distorts your hearing and makes you trust that which is not audible. I find it a very sensory pack. And it is working for me in a way that many others have not in the past. I can feel it, and posts like my last, is a trying to place that feeling in the grounded world of words and structure, which can be quite difficult to pass off in interpretation.

How has this card come up for you in readings? I imagine that there has been many since your last entry as this thread is many years old.

LB