10. Scythe - meanings

firecatpickles

We all have different ways of not only reading cards (any cards) but also different ways of testing our method, meanings, layouts, etc.,etc.

I am a newbie when it comes to Lenormand, but I cannot accept that a card such as Scythe *always* has a negative meaning. There's gotta be a silver lining.

As Dan once said (not sure if this was his or where it came from and it isn't aimed at anyone personally...), "There is no such thing as a 'bad card', only a 'bad reader'."

Padma

We all have different ways of not only reading cards (any cards) but also different ways of testing our method, meanings, layouts, etc.,etc.

I am a newbie when it comes to Lenormand, but I cannot accept that a card such as Scythe *always* has a negative meaning. There's gotta be a silver lining.

As Dan once said (not sure if this was his or where it came from and it isn't aimed at anyone personally...), "There is no such thing as a 'bad card', only a 'bad reader'."

I am just watching one of Donnaleigh's Lenormand videos over on youtube, and she explains about how if a good card (like Heart) comes after the Scythe, then whatever changes brings happiness or opens the road to better things, but if it (Scythe) comes after the good card, then it removes that good thing from your life. She has some interesting insights :)

For simple cards, I actually find the whole system to be a bit mind-boggling at times!

La Force

I am just watching one of Donnaleigh's Lenormand videos over on youtube, and she explains about how if a good card (like Heart) comes after the Scythe, then whatever changes brings happiness or opens the road to better things, but if it (Scythe) comes after the good card, then it removes that good thing from your life. She has some interesting insights :)

For simple cards, I actually find the whole system to be a bit mind-boggling at times!

I really enjoy her video's, they are very informative and helpful, watch as many as can, great for beginners too. you also like Donnaleigh's website, she has some great podcasts too. I really enjoyed them, she did a fabulous job.

when you have watch her beginner video's and her 2 & 3 card combo videos you'll so understand my main post, post 2 and post 6.

and yes it can be mind boggling. but fun :)

La Force

DownUnderNZer

Never seen Donnaleigh's work and even though I did get Steinbach's book well after learning the GT I found it really confusing yet was hoping to understand the layout she used plus her pairs/combos. The layout also was not so straight forward and the combos very limiting.

But it was the first thing I found in English and a different way to the GT. I learnt through trial and error and lots and lots of questions and practise.

The Scythe is also about "harvesting", so that is why I think a card after it can "clarify" what kind of "harvest" as in negative or positive. Depending of course on the question. So, it isn't always so dominantly negative.

I still only see about 7 cards that can be negative and even then it "depends", for example, if it was a timing question I would not see WHIP in a negative light nor perhaps SCYTHE or the MICE.

And even with NEGATIVE cards the card following it may TURN it around somewhat...as in making it LESS or even MORE. :)

Ronia

You're wrong, La Force. I want to know who the querent is because it is important for the reading, not for me. To me it's nothing. As about the rest, success or no success, what's coming is not good. If he will reject you or the question was about his sleeve (and why would you ask if a thing created 17 years ago would be a success???), the cards point at a negative outcome.

What I find unacceptable in this whole thing is that you didn't repect the other readers here. You specifically asked them for positive meanings of a combo which turns out to be about something which may not end positively. You told them it was about your brother's invention which yo KNEW was a success, now it is about you and him and an unknown outcome! In my world this is disrespectful, to put it lightly. And why would you want a positive twist? The cards are suppoesed to reveal the truth for us, like it or not, so we can be warned. I find the situation disturbing. I've been on AT for long and this is the first time I see such a thing!

As said before in certain combos Scythe brings a decision and/or a surprise which can be 100% positive. It also cuts through blockages and delays (Mountain) or takes away troubles (Mice). Lenormand is about combos. And, after all, an ending may be a good thing. Whch s exactly what I'm going to do now and put a clear ending of what I find an unacceptable use of other people's knowledge and efforts.

P.S. I grew up with Lenormand and Tarot, I'm a generational reader, so no, I'm afraid I won't dive into Donna's newly posted videos. :D

Tag_jorrit

And yes, the Scythe is always negative. Just like the word "no" is always negative. You can "just say no to drugs" which would be a good thing. But "no" is still negative.

firecatpickles

And yes, the Scythe is always negative. Just like the word "no" is always negative. You can "just say no to drugs" which would be a good thing. But "no" is still negative.

"No" is always negative? What about the double negative? Or the phrase, "Yes, we have no bananas"?

"Say no to drugs?" What about prescriptions, such as anti-depressants? (This I find contentious because I have been involved in therapy groups int he past who claim that alcoholics shouldn't be on any drugs to be considered "sober". Quite dangerous...)

And sometimes there is the "No...." (with the word "but" omitted.) And then there's "No entry" which doesn't mean there is no entry at all, it means "please use the other door..."

In other words, it's all about context.

Aulruna

Moderator note

Quite a lot of posts had to be removed from this thread, as they did not have anything to do with the topic, Scythe.

It is a pity, because there were some interesting points in there about the nature of Lenormand, but sadly, most posts were laced with personal attacks and snide remarks, so the discussion could. Ot be salvaged to be resurrected in another thread.

Let me clarify that Aeclectic is a forum for members of all levels of experience. Many members have stated they have learned from newbies' insights, so their voices will be respected the same as everybody else's. No minimum level of experience is required for posting, also we will not judge the sources of experience (suggesting altermative sources is of course fine). Also, Aeclectic has many members who are professionals, and it is legitimate for them to ask for opinions without getting accused of attempted plagiarism.

Please stick to the topic of the thread.

Padma

I find it interesting, and ironic that this thread has been "Scythed" as it was full of "cutting remarks". Kind of really relates to the topic at hand!

I am grateful though because as a newbie I am trying to learn how to read the cards with a degree of accuracy, and so I want to learn how it works. Arguments and personal attacks over different schools of thought and opinion are not helpful for learning. I am so glad we are back to the topic :)

What I find confusing is that there are so many schools of thought depending on region, and I also find it confusing that the cards can speak on a very literal plane as well - sometimes the Dog is really just a dog, sometimes the Fish is really just drinking too much (drinks like a fish) and sometimes House means literally just that - staying at home. And sometimes a Scythe is really just a cutting implement, like a surgeon's scalpel or a knife in the kitchen.

I can see the Scythe as being positive in the sense that it removes obstacles sometimes, and also that it can remove something that is not very good for you, or end something unhealthy. So while it might hurt to be cut off, the cut is quick and so I guess less painful! And the cut can be quite healing!

I have also seen Scythe come up with Clover for some keys I lost that fell in deep clover in a field. We mowed part of the field where I thought they fell, so that might be Scythe, but didn't find the keys. A week later some friends went there and looked for the keys and found them in moments, an inch away from a mown section! So the Scythe could have been the mowing, and the Clover the luck in finding the keys, but how ironic that the keys fell in the clover! Hence why I see the Lenormands as sometimes being quite literal - this being but one example of many I have seen. Incidentally, the next day after the keys were found, the entire field was mown by the farmer!

Myself though I do wonder something about the Scythe, I was thinking a lot about the card in question yesterday, because I was wondering if Scythe + Tree was a death, or if it merely meant surgery, or if you had to have a lot of cards around that confirming one or the other in order to be able to know. Scythe can be a scary card in the sense that it mows things down, and so of course the life and living question is attached to it...or if it is beside Dog or Man, say, can that indicate a termination in a worse or more physically permanent way...?

Anyways that question might be off-topic. However I do want to know other's thoughts on that! The Scythe is a fascinating card indeed! It seems like one of the most powerful cards in the deck.

firecatpickles

Those are interesting points you make LP. (I almost mentioned too the relation betweem the topic and what I got in trouble for but the thought was lost in the melee).

OT: on that subject I apologize for my part in what went on. JAI!

Anyway, the way you put the several shades of meaning that present themselves in this system, a though came to mind (also lost in the fracas), "another mans trash is another man's treasure." For example, a person dog dies. (for arguments, and topic's sake Scythe + (well,) Dog. I don't like hearing stuff like this but, hey it happens. To me, another person's pet passing away is a tragic loss and it upsets me a great deal. But suppose the dog had been very old and very sick for a long time? Not so negative for the owner, who (hypothetically here) had been spending 100s perhaps 1000s in vets bills and watched h/is companion slowly and painfully fade away. Scythe is good, in this case. Another example: Scythe + Fox i.e. someone is fired/loses h/er job. Not good, especially nowadays in this economy. But suppose the person getting fired is now able to collect unemployment to keep on h/is feet financially until s/he can enroll and return to college? Scythe is good, in case. Externally, a friend or family member would become quite upset with worry for this person.

In both cases, good for the one, bad for others. This leads me back to context, which I'm unsure if those posts are up there somewhere. But context seemed to be the common denominator we could all agree on, from what I remember.