World Spirit Study Group - The Fool (0)

Sulis

Lark what a lovely story. I'm going to think of you jumping off the roof and flapping your skinny little arms every time I look at this card now.
The roof's looking better already :D
Thanks.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Bean Feasa

The discussion about the roof reminds me of something the character Shirley Valentine says in the film of that name. She talks about how when she was young she used to 'jump off our roof' - hope I'm remembering this right. And her point in recalling this is that now she's middleaged and in a rut, she's lost touch with that carefree, adventurous part of herself - her inner Fool, so to speak. To sum up quickly, for anyone who hasn't seen it, during the remainder of the film, she does reconnect with that very persona ;).
I'm hoping over the next few weeks to join in some of the threads on this deck, if nobody minds, and if I can get the time - I'm pretty busy with the Tarot of Prague but the World Spirit is neck-and-neck with the ToP in the race for my affections. They have different styles but I love them both. My leetle, leetle pretties!
:) Kate

Sulis

Bean Feasa, it would be lovely if you would join our discussions. I've been reading your threads on ToP with interest and keep meaning to join in myself but I seem to have very little time at the moment ( I'm not doing too well at posting in this group :) )

Post away :D

love and light

Sulis xx

Satori

I found the WS Study group threads!!

Hi WS folk,
I am a newbie to this deck, but love it already. Again, I like Sulis and some of you, have a few cards in the deck that are less than my faves, but, that is expected.

Anyway, The Fool.
I did chuckle when Sulis said, "Why is she on that roof?"
I agree with one poster who said they thought it was her own roof. As a stay at home Mom I can say that while I never actually got the thought, "Hey, I'm feeling really shut-in right now, I'm going up onto the roof and take a little daring adventure plunge into the arms of the Universe just to see what happens.....", no, that thought never came to me, but I do get the thought of "I need to get out, to adventure, to find a way to be as free as a bird and go wherever I want to go!"

See the white light around her body and the dog's body?
I see this as if they are traveling astrally. They are in the dreamtime, and it seems as if they are protected and able to act out of that wonderful resilience and limitless possibility of the dream world. The birds don't have the same white light around them, so they aren't the ones involved in the transformation, they have already transformed I think.
A female Fool rollicking off of her roof, seems natural if you think of her as she is depicted, a little older, connected to hearth and home and just out of the dishpan or cowshed where she was milking (is that a milkmaid outfit-looks like it to me!)
Plus, if it is a dream sequence, I know that once off that roof, anything can happen, and she won't be hurt, she'll bounce, fall into the arms of the magician or just jolt awake in her bed and feel that disorientation we feel when awakening from a dream....

I love the whole story of the Fool, the Fool's Journey. It is what brought everything together for me when I was first learning tarot, and I always bring everything back to that story.

Sulis

Ooh Elf, I like what you said about the white light surrounding their bodies- I never even noticed that but yes, they are shining.

Reading what you've all said about this card has made me see it in a completely different light - I used to dislike this card - no more though - I really like the idea that she's a mother who just needs to get away and go on an adventure for a while - oh to be that Fool :D

Love

Sulis xx

Flavio

In my country swallows are considered "goodbye" birds because there is a popular song about them and their migratory behaviour, that song is played in school graduations and sometimes during funeral services, "we will miss you but wish you luck in your new journey" to me 2 swallows are there because the lady is about to start a journey to something higher or maybe only to a big pile of straw in the floor :)

Alrisha

The fool is ready to enter the unknown knowing that her trusted friend (the dog) will always be with her. The dog is willing to follow her wherever she goes and such companionship brings confidence and joy. There's nothing to be afraid of in this world for the fool's been blessed by the world (birds with flowers). when you have total trust and faith, the world around you responds the same way.

Inana

The Fool

I can’t add much here. I don’t like this card although is a very original take on the fool. It transmits me a bigger sense of madness, irresponsibility and danger than other fools. She is happily playing with the birds while going to fall into the void.

We have a saying in Spain that goes: “Tener la cabeza llena de pájaros”. I don’t know if it exists also in english, it translates “to have the head full of birds”. It means what I see in this card: having your mind lost in fantasies, pretending your dreams are real and not realizing how the things actually are. Is strange cause i usually see the fool a little more grounded, but not in this deck.
Keys: Living carefree, taking risks.

Elf: I haven’t noticed the white light before! That’s really interesting… Nice thoughts.

Satori

Re: The Fool

Inana said:
I can’t add much here. I don’t like this card although is a very original take on the fool. It transmits me a bigger sense of madness, irresponsibility and danger than other fools. She is happily playing with the birds while going to fall into the void.

We have a saying in Spain that goes: “Tener la cabeza llena de pájaros”. I don’t know if it exists also in english, it translates “to have the head full of birds”. It means what I see in this card: having your mind lost in fantasies, pretending your dreams are real and not realizing how the things actually are. Is strange cause i usually see the fool a little more grounded, but not in this deck.
Keys: Living carefree, taking risks.

Elf: I haven’t noticed the white light before! That’s really interesting… Nice thoughts.
Hi Inana,
I understand your dislike, but I have to say that in the Fool card that sense of "why are they heading off the cliff????" is more disruptive to me than this roof sequence...not sure why. More later, my nephew just got here to do some landscaping for me!

Inana

elf said:
I have to say that in the Fool card that sense of "why are they heading off the cliff????" is more disruptive to me than this roof sequence...not sure why.
I agree the cliff is more disruptive than the roof.
But for some reason, this fool on the roof looks more naïve and playful to me. Also reminds me more about those persons that only can see their world and don’t listen to anything.
It can be because climbing to the roof to dance with the birds is a more temporal thing, while walking around with the bag and the staff like a pilgrim (even if stepping off a cliff) is more like a way of life... I dont know.