World Spirit Study - The Sun (19)

Sulis

This has got to be one of the most disliked cards in the deck :) I've heard people describe this baby as looking like Richard Nixon.

I don't think that the baby has been drawn (or carved) very well but it doesn't really put me off the card.

Here we see a naked baby, arms raised above his head. He is sitting on an open lotus flower which is balanced upon the crest of a wave. A golden sun shines behind him and the air around him is filled with flowers and blossoms.

Apart from the ugly baby, I think that this card portrays the essence of The Sun archetype really well.
The lotus flower begins as a seed in the mud, it grows through water and eventually blooms on the surface... It's journey through the mud and water before finally reaching maturity in the sunlight make the lotus flower symbolise enlightenment.
There is a joy to this card. The baby looks happy and confident, he rides the crest of a wave and is surrounded by flowers.

His number is 19 which reduces to 10 and then again to 1. This means that The Sun is related to The Magician and also to The Wheel. Endings and new beginnings then as well as confidence and the ability to do anything you set your mind to.

I actually quite like this card.

Attachments

• The Sun 19.jpg
    The Sun 19.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 711

pasara

I am one of those that saw this card and went ugh! Colors seemed all wrong too. But the baby Buddha thing is fine, but to me the Sun is the Sun, it speaks for itself and a simple rendition of the real deal has much more meaning. The one card in the deck that really disappoints me. Hopefully I'll get to appreciating it more with time, thanks for sharing your more forgiving spin.

Apollonia

I actually don't mind this card too much, especially since I read the interview with the artist where she says it was a portrait of her own baby. I have been thinking of drawing a onesie on this little guy, though, as for some reason the area between his neck and hips seems to morph into a slightly perturbed rodent of an indeterminate species when I look at it a certain way.

northsea

The Nixon sun baby endearingly expresses the innocence of youth. Ebenezer Scrooge, and even history's tyrants, were once innocent babes.

"Even Richard Nixon has got soul."

from the song "Campaigner", by Neil Young

RedMaple

photoshopped the sun

I hated this card - the Nixon baby was just disgusting. so I photoshopped the image and took the baby out of the card completely. So my card is the Lotus flower with the sun beaming down. The colors are not my favorite, but without the baby, the lotus is open to the sun and I can easily read it.