Tora

Shanti

Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of TORA as shown on the scroll in the hands of the High Priestess?

Thanks!

fyreflye

Shanti said:
Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of TORA as shown on the scroll in the hands of the High Priestess?

The collection of sacred books of the Hebrew Bible (the "H" is hidden.) But also one of the permutations of the Wheel of Tarot: taro/tora/rota/orat.

ArcanoMáximo

I guess most of us here think about TORA meaning LAW .

Lavandula

fyreflye said:
But also one of the permutations of the Wheel of Tarot: taro/tora/rota/orat.

Ah ... I hadn't noticed that connection between the High Priestess and the Wheel. Seems obvious now. Good one.

Berbatov

fyreflye said:
The collection of sacred books of the Hebrew Bible (the "H" is hidden.) But also one of the permutations of the Wheel of Tarot: taro/tora/rota/orat.

Hi, I am new here and I have some thoughts on this;

If you follow the Wheel of Fortune's letters then the hidden letter would be 'T'. This makes a kind of sense if you then read the letters on the book from right to left, as in Hebrew, to spell Tarot.

If the hidden letter is 'H', and the word is Torah, is there any especial significance in the missing "Heh"?

Berb

Alta

Berbatov said:
If the hidden letter is 'H', and the word is Torah, is there any especial significance in the missing "Heh"?
wow, now there's a thought. Especially with respect to the High Priestess.

Whippy

Ever since EYE noticed the "TORA" on the Wheel, the first thing I thought of was that the four letters represented the four cardinal directions, North, South, East, West. The middle of the Wheel looks like a compass to me ... or the four elements of the Zodiac, Fire, Earth, Air, Water. I do not necessarily believe, myself, that the "TORA" on The High Priestess scroll is missing a letter.

moderndayruth

I see it also as the members who posted/answered the question alredy, what i wanted to add is that according to Paul Foster Case, Hebrew number value of 'TARO' adds up to 691; when the numerical value of Tetragrammaton (Yud Hei Vav Hei - name of God in Torah, The Five Book of Moses and on the Tarot Wheel) which is 26 is summed up with 691 it makes 697; further 6+9+7= 22, which is the number of Major Arcanum as well as of Hebrew alefbet.
I read this in Rachel Pollac's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' ;)

strings of life

This is all extremely helpful. I am working with this card now and was a bit stumped. It seemed like one of those things that I knew I would have to look up for confirmation to some degree.

Part of me thinks it is the "TORAH", with the "H" hidden intentionally, since the card conveys how thoughts can be hidden in the unconscious mind, and how one's potential can be discovered if they can tap into their subconscious by being spiritually enlightened or by someone who can show them the way.

Like others, I also read about the Wheel of Tarot / Wheel of Fortune (X) online, but I haven't worked with that card yet...

Ange

The way I've always seen this is that the word Tora connected to the High Priestess is meaning the Tarot. She has all the secrets, as does the Tarot.

The scroll represents the Tarot and it's secrets. Minor secrets and major secrets.

Ang x