Are you still reading with your playing cards?

Logiatrix

There were numerous threads about reading with playing cards, but lately, I haven't seen any threads at all. Perhaps it's partially due to all the nifty new tarots and oracles that have come out recently. Also, how much really can be discussed about 52 cards (plus the Jokers, if you include them) that all look pretty much the same? From what I recall of this area of cartomancy, the playing cards did seem to beckon me to read with them at least as much as talk about them...;)

I say "recall" because, though I adore my little poker deck, but I admit that I've been more immersed in tarot subjects lately. However, last week, I brought my playing cards back into the light of day, and was quickly reminded of their delightful simplicity and amazing accuracy.:love:

So, are you still reading with your playing cards?
:)

celticnoodle

I admit, I'm more adicted to tarot cards now then I am to the playing cards. Part of it is having the extra cards to give more meaning to the readings and alot of it is the beauitful artwork in the tarot and other oracle cards that I have purchased.

Playing cards are not really very beautiful, not designed with lovey pictures that can also aid the reader into understanding the message they give.

you probably don't see as many threads about it because one of our members here, Barbara Ahajusts, is having computer problems and unable to get onto the A.T. site. She is a HUGE playing card reader! there are others here as well, but she is the first who comes to my mind when I think of reading fortunes with playing cards.

Aerin

Regarding the pretty pics: I have quite a few Transformation Decks, none of which are designed specifically for fortune telling but do work. The Italian Sybilla decks are also playing card deck based and I do dig them out.

Straight cards, not really. I mainly use Tarot because I'm so much more familiar with it and don't have to Look Stuff Up the same.

Aerin

Yurikome

Yes! And I always carry my deck on me. Admiteddly it is modified to serve as a lenormand oracle as well. Depends what I'm into at the moment, but it serves one of those two divinatory systems all the time. And as a source of entertainment ;) Nothing better than a go of egyptian rat screw on a coffee break.

My tarot adventure has recently turned away from pictures, and seems to pair up with cartomancy a bit more now. I just go myself a Marseilles deck :)

MareSaturni

SURE! but i use the Playing Card Oracles deck. Yeah, yeah, nobody can hear me talking about this book/deck anymore, but what can i say? It's my favorite method for reading Playing Cards :)

The problem with PC, in my opinion, is not the lack of imagery to talk about - but the fact that exist gazillion methods for reading them, and none is wrong. It's not like Tarot or Lernomand, that have a traditional basis and you go from there. PC methods can be completely different, so many people here would end up disagreeing more than agreeing, i guess :p

We could alwayd discuss numerology, i believe almost anyone who read PC uses at least a bit of it in their readings...

Or we could discuss *certain* methods individually. Jane Lyle's for 'The Fortune-Teller's Deck', Ana Cortez's for 'The Playing Card Oracles' and so on.

Le Fanu

O yes, The Playing Card Oracles is one of my faves too. I alternate between tarot and playing cards. I read tarot cards more effortlessly, but like to push myself with the Playing Cards. I like the Ana Cortez cards because they're excellent foundations for personal meanings. I find them so easy to elaborate upon.

Plus I think there really are some wonderful playing card decks, reproduction and historical, on the market. I don't think tarot decks are always necessarily more beautiful. There is something purer, more uncluttered, about reading with playing cards. But I go in cycles.

Just bought the Jonathan Dee Fortune Telling with Playing Cards so I look forward to getting back into playing cards again...

LisaW

:)

I'm studying and practicing with the playing cards daily, along with the Lenormand cards...they are my 2 passions now!

I have Regina Russell's book which is wonderful, and I can't recommend highly enough checking out The Art of Cartomancy forum at www.cartomancy.freeforums.org.
Kapherus is a wonderful teacher,and professional card reader. He helps you learn with examples from actual readings and from practice spreads. It's alot of fun.

I've gotten on a collecting campaign of unusual playing card decks now! between Lenormand, Oracles and now playing cards I've really got to watch the wallet! lol

LisaW

MysticalMoose

Another vote here for Playing Card Oracles I love them! Since getting them in a trade here on the forum they have quickly become on of my favourite decks, I just love the colours & the faces on the people cards are so expressive..I cant imagine being without them, so much so that I just got a back up deck :D

:love: MM

Nevada

I do something with playing cards that doesn't even require actual cards. Every computer has a Solitaire game on it, right? And it's so easy and quick to just click out a quick deal as a reading. No shuffling required.

Usually I use the layout that comes up, and read intuitively, without position meanings, from left to right. I find this an amazingly accurate way to read on the fly for myself. And hey, my little handheld (an old Palm Pilot) has a Solitaire game too! So I can carry instant playing card readings in my purse without cards.

Sometimes I get a more involved reading by "playing" the game, seeing where the cards move from and where they move to, and taking meaning from that.

But I do prefer the feeling of cards in my hand, and then I'm usually drawn to my tarots. But I've been thinking of pulling out my poker deck. . . .

Nevada

Le Fanu

As a fan of elaborate, sumptuous Victorian patience games (I have books and books on this...) did you know that patience (solitaire in the USA) was originally used in the 19th Century to answer questions?

I use patience spreads a lot (and there are some wonderful ones; the classic patience spreads which everyone knows as solitaire is just one of hundreds.)

They were traditionally used for yes or no questions; if the game comes out it´s a yes. If it doesn´t it´s a no...

My favourite games is Olga; uses 4 X 32-card packs. That´s a total of 128 cards!

PS; interesting site! Thanks for the link