RWS - 0 the Fool

Phoenix

Firemaiden, the link that you posted doesn't work. Could you please post the correct one? I would be interestred in looking at it.

Phoenix

Thanks Firemaiden!!

firemaiden

eye

Hi. On the very large reproduction of the Fool (yes, the Rider-Waite-Smith Fool) on the inside cover to Rachel Pollacks Illustrated Guide to the Tarot, there is an eye, not a button, on the fool's bag. Just an eye all by itself, like the eye of God, the evil eye, etc.

I cannot see it on the card, or all I see is a button. I tried blowing up the card larger, but it was not large enough, still it just looks like a button. Perhaps on the giant card it could be seen?

firemaiden

eye

I take it noone else has seen the eye on the Fool's bag? Does anyone have the Illustrated Guide to the Tarot of Rachel Pollack, or else the Giant deck?

jmd

I have seen the eye upon the Fool's bag - but it is much more clearly expressed upon the BOTA deck. On all versions of the Waite deck I have, the 'button' looks far more like a button.

Given the similarity of the Waite and BOTA deck, and not having the benefit of having Pollack's The Illustrated Guide to the Tarot, I cannot see what you see.

For the record, the BOTA deck takes each card (in most Cases from the RWCS) and adds minutia of detail, or clarifies details somewhat ambiguously presented. For example, on the Fool card, the Shin is up-righted, the eye on the bag is clear (as is the Eagle's head), the Flame over the region of the heart is clearer, and the 'folds' below the neck are clearly rendered with the tetragrammaton (ie, the four - Greek 'tetra' - lettered name of God in Hebrew: YHVH).

Are you sure the depiction mentioned, then, is not the BOTA's version?

It should also be noted that even in the early printed decks, there are, apparently, some minor variations - though I did not think that this was one of them.

firemaiden

That would solve the mystery jmd!! I am not finding any credit for the artwork on this inside cover, but it must be that. How very interesting. I didn't know there were all these hidden treasures!

Richard1

One thing that puzzles me...If one views the sun as Kether, then the Fool's wand is placed exactly where a path would go; but the path shown would be path 12, whereas the Fool is 11.
And the mountains very well might be higher states of consciousness, as previously stated, but I think the fact that they're covered in ice also connects them to water. Thus we have the fire of the sun, the water of the ice, the air of the wind in the Fool's face, and the earth of the cliff.
The dog is definitely an aleph, but doesn't the shape of the Fool's torso also suggest an aleph?
You know, the more I look at this deck, the more I'm convinced that it's TOTALLY Kabbalistic, and Waite's statements to the contrary are pure mystification...

lupo138

paths

Right. The more I study the paths as they are published and the cards, the more I have the feeling that the fellows of the GD worked with another system.

strings of life

Here is my interpretation:

The imagery used is metaphor for the need to have be fearless and have optimism when embarking on a new journey or project. Everyone can relate to the The Fool; he is the hero and he represents the desire in all of us to be confident, spontaneous, take a risk, and experience the outcome. However, one must not be careless and should proceed with caution. If one acts hasty, this may be a careless decision, which may be deemed “foolish” in the most traditional sense of the meaning of the word. Take risks, and jump on sudden opportunities that present themselves. There may be obstacles, although they are not obvious. New beginnings, or the new journey may also be an escape from a current situation.

I am using the Universal Waite Tarot deck, so I didn't put the imagery/symbols in this post (that's on my bog).

However, I do want to participate in the threads in this study group since the parallel themes are similar. There isn't a separate Study Group for the Universal Waite and it was suggested that I follow along with this group as I start out.