1971 RWS - AG Muller

Teheuti

Does anyone know what year the printing was moved to Italy?
How about Belgium - or anything about that?
Someone mentioned a Weiser edition of this deck. Do you have any details about that? What info is on the box? in the LWB?

Note: advertisements and the list of decks available at the back of the LWBs can provide information for dating.

On the copyright page of the LWB, the most vital information is provided by a list of numbers representing print runs. The printer "whites-out" the lowest number in the sequence each time the booklet is printed.

Mary K. Greer

Abrac

Teheuti said:
Someone mentioned a Weiser edition of this deck. Do you have any details about that? What info is on the box? in the LWB?

Note: advertisements and the list of decks available at the back of the LWBs can provide information for dating.
The booklet with my Weiser is a US Games version with Weiser's name and address on it. It doesn't have a list of other decks in the back. The address is 734 Broadway, NY. It doesn't have any reprint numbers. The two extra cards are blank. I checked all my RWS decks and none of them have advertisement cards till the early 80s. All this leads me to believe it must be a very early edition. In another thread, Fulgour wrote that Weiser stopped publishing the RWS by 1975. This sounds as plausible as anything.

Thanks for the brilliant summary by the way. It will be an excellent resource for people to refer to in the future.

Le Fanu

Teheuti said:
• Blue lift-off box with World card (yellow wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. End flap of box: “First edition 1910/ Reprinted many times to 1939/ Second edition 1971. Rider & Co, 3 Fitzroy Square, London W1 “in association with Waddington Playing Card Co Ltd;” No copyright on cards. Accompanying “Key to the Tarot” (same image as box): book (sold separately) says: “All Rights Reserved” First published 1910/This edition 1972/Second impression 1973/Third impression 1974. ISBN 0 09 109351 1. Lines sharper and colors slightly more intense than later versions. Not laminated.
• Slightly lighter blue lift-off box with World card (green wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. Rider & Co. -17-21 Conway Street - London W1P6JD. Copyright on lower right margins of cards. Same quality as U.S. Games. Not laminated
Old thread I know, but Im really curious as to the date of my deck. These descriptions by Mary are the nearest I get to a description of my box. However...

mine doesn't have Waddingtons on the box it has Rider & Co
Pamela Colman Smith is spelt Pamela Coleman Smith
It has the US Games copyright in the bottom right hand margin.

I've never found any description of any edition which matches this one! (Could it be the second one? No mention of the mis-spelt Colman...Why is that, I wonder?) I bought it in about 1982...

Bernice

Mine is rather like the second one with the green laurel wreath. It has "Printed for Rider & company. London by A. G.Muller & Cie - Switzerland" on the box, and Pamela Colman Smith is spelled Pamela Coleman Smith.

The Sun card has that little squiggle at the top (next to the sun-rays). Cards arn't laminated.

Bought in 1978.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
Mine is rather like the second one with the green laurel wreath. It has "Printed for Rider & company. London by A. G.Muller & Cie - Switzerland" on the box, and Pamela Colman Smith is spelled Pamela Coleman Smith.
Sounds just like mine! Must check the Sun card for squiggle when I get home!

The crowned one

Bernice said:

The Sun card has that little squiggle at the top (next to the sun-rays). Cards arn't laminated.

Bought in 1978.

Bee :)

I have this one too, it is as you describe. A lovely deck. One blank card too.

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
The Sun card has that little squiggle at the top (next to the sun-rays)
Found it!!

missy

If it is a yellow box printed by AG Muller what date is that printing? (Made in Belgium)

I see a blue box version referenced by Mary but no yellow.

Bernice

Le Fanu,

That squiggle on the Sun card, see this post from Roppo:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2046441&postcount=6

The pertinent bit:-
Roppo: "So many features of RWS shows the existence of photographic plates and processes. My temporal conclusion is that the 13 drawings of The Occult Review 1909 Dec. issue are the most faithful reproductions of original PCS pen and ink drawings because they are, as a matter of fact, photos. And what is called "oops"line of the Sun and its wrong XVIII number existed on the original drawing, presumably a PCS's mistake."
So we've got an 'original' mistake in our decks :)

Missy: Sorry, I don't know anything about a yellow box.

Bee.