• Playing cards ARE Tarot cards!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alta

Re: Sorry!

jlbvt said:
I am grievously sorry for the mix-up.
Ohmygoodness, please don't be grievously sorry. Maybe it should have gone into Talking tarot. My brain isn't working today anyway. :(

zorya

hey you two! no problem :D all is well. it's carteomancy and not tarot, so i'm keeping it here ;)

Woof

MANY years ago, I had a reading done for me with playing cards. It was by a Russian woman who had learned from her mother. In retrospect, I don't remember weather it was accurate or not. At the same time I read for her with my Aquarian deck. I was very new to Tarot and this was in the early 80's. I was using Eden Gray's book like a dictionary; I had to look up each and every card. But the reading was incredibly detailed and accurate; she was going on a trip and she would be (or should) getting an heirloom(s) or inheritance. She said she was going to Russia the next month and would be getting some old family photos.
Blew the socks off both of us!
Sorry about rambling, but after that I'll just stick to Tarot. Works for me. If playing cards work for you go for it.
I'm just now trying to STUDY Tarot. I'll worry about playing cards latter.
Woof

P.S. I didn't answer the poll. Wasn't sure how.

Logiatrix

i tried fortunetelling with playing cards...

i tried it, with a few deck/book sets by sophia, jane lyle and ray buckland. like many other divination techniques i have checked out, i found these systems a bit limiting, especially compared to tarot. however, i like the idea of at least knowing how to read with a regular deck of playing cards--it's pretty easy, and kind of cool at parties!
i think if i can find a way to make it more interesting then i might give it a go again. for instance, according to the books i studied, gypsies used their own hand-drawn majors with a regular playing card deck. hmmmmmm...
:)

Kiama

When I was about 14 I experimented with reading with playing cards, but found it didn't work for me. I was so used to tarot with pictures and stuff, that I couldn't intepret what the playing cards were saying.

So I voted 'Tried it, didn't work', but it was myfault that it didn't work, not the divination system itself.

Kiama

Osher

Well, playing cards WERE tarot at one time. However, they are now more distant, especially as Jokers were added in around 150 years ago.

I therefore voted for never have. However, if I could find a good way to read with them, then yes, I would give it a shot. Hey, never say never!

Little Baron

I have started looking into the art of playing card readings recently, and I understand what one of the posters here said about it being quite freeing - not having the picture infront of me doesnt constrict me in any way and I feel there is a lot more possibilities.

I read in the Buckland book that goes with the Romani tarot that his grandmother read with her own handmade majors and a conventional playing deck. I was thinking about buying two of the same decks, taking twenty-two from one and customising them as a Major Arcana. has anybody tried this?

There is one advantage to using playing cards - for all of us taroholics out there, at least with buying playing card decks, we are not going to break the bank!!!!!!

Best wishes to you all

I hope this thread continues to move along again as I find it very interesting.

yaboot

Logiatrix

Re: i tried fortunetelling with playing cards...

Hi, Yaboot...
I wrote the following when this thread was first launched five months ago:
"i think if i can find a way to make it more interesting then i might give it a go again. for instance, according to the books i studied, gypsies used their own hand-drawn majors with a regular playing card deck. hmmmmmm..."

I really did come up with a more interesting system of reading playing cards and tarot majors combined. This little combo has given very accurate readings so far, and I do feel more free about reading with a poker deck in public for some reason.

Little Baron

Thanks Tauni

Did you customise any of the minors? Add drawings or collage to them, which I was considering?

Did you make your Majors? If so, any more details would be interesting to me, and others, I am sure.

I like the idea because it seems so personal and authentic.

yaboot