Negative aspects of positive cards

page of ghosts

6 of cups - dwelling on the past and not moving on, whether it was a good or bad thing you experienced

6 of wands - pride and aloofness

Tanga

Yay! Thanks for doing the court cards! Love having this little list. Haha don't like the wife beater one though! What would you say is a negative aspect of the World?

Oops - sorry been away a while...
-ve of The World = You've just got too much choice - Spoiled!
Or - now you've done it all... it's an anticlimax. What now??

Ruby Jewel

I'm wondering if reversals were always read, or if they are something that came onto the scene later.

I recently decided to go with Nancy Shavick on reversals....don't bother with them anymore because for me, the negative is inherent in all of them. I think the surrounding cards and clarifiers offer more clarity than reversals. For instance, with the Aces, I just say,the potential is there, but there is no guarantee the seed will sprout whether it is upright or reversed. If the Ace were reversed, it is still an ace....as for timing, I don't think there is any such thing as "time" in the tarot...I tend to think of them in the Jungian sense of 'sychronicity'. In the world of archetypal energy, there is no such thing as linear time...

If you look at the current post on "Can the 5 of Swords have a loveable quality" you will see what I mean. You can pretty much find whatever you want to see in a card. It doesn't seem to matter if it is reversed or not, in and of itself..it takes surrounding energy or a clarifier to bounce off of.

Enlightenment23

I'm wondering if reversals were always read, or if they are something that came onto the scene later.

I recently decided to go with Nancy Shavick on reversals....don't bother with them anymore because for me, the negative is inherent in all of them. I think the surrounding cards and clarifiers offer more clarity than reversals. For instance, with the Aces, I just say,the potential is there, but there is no guarantee the seed will sprout whether it is upright or reversed. If the Ace were reversed, it is still an ace....as for timing, I don't think there is any such thing as "time" in the tarot...I tend to think of them in the Jungian sense of 'sychronicity'. In the world of archetypal energy, there is no such thing as linear time...

If you look at the current post on "Can the 5 of Swords have a loveable quality" you will see what I mean. You can pretty much find whatever you want to see in a card. It doesn't seem to matter if it is reversed or not, in and of itself..it takes surrounding energy or a clarifier to bounce off of.

Agreed that no card is inherently negative or positive. :)

But for me, reversals do not necessarily mean negativity. Reversals can be dissipating or strengthening energy of the card - too much or too little, which can be a good thing. For example, in my experience, I've seen the Hermit Reversed mean that someone is coming out of a period of withdrawal, depression, and/or anti-social behavior.

I've seen the Strength Reversed card as someone letting go of their inhibitions and allowing their feelings to run free instead of keeping them tightened up, bottled, and "self-controlled."

The High Priestess reversed, for example, I've seen as a secret being revealed.

But now, let's look at those three cards in an upright, negative manner.

The Hermit (upright, negative) could be someone who might be a little too nonconforming and shuns society completely.

The Strength card (upright, negative), in my experience, could mean someone maintaining their self-control and not submitting to their desires to contact someone.

The High Priestess (upright, negative) could be someone who is too mysterious or too passive.

Anyhow, I'm super into this conversation because I'm writing a book about reversals! :D

PageofWords

Negative of empress to me would be the person only likes you on a superficial level...i.e your looks and it doesn't go deeper.

Good one. I can see that as well!

jarlbi

Can anyone give more opinions about why 10 pentacles comes up before breakup?

I have experienced it before breakup but I still don't understand why.

I thought it's supposed to mean both people are stable in the relationship

tapasr_57772aeb7

Are you living together prior to break up?

Rachx

I think Magician upside down can represent a fraud or a trickster. I've certainly had that card for a friend who's partner was cheating on her.

Rachx

Ace of cups reversed can also mean a relationship is "running out of love" and I had that in her reading too!

Ruby Jewel

You have to look at the decan in the astrological chart, and the number 10. The decan is under the Queen of Swords in the 7th house of Virgo opposing the 12th house of Pisces, which is ruled by Neptune....the planet and house that dissolves. Both houses are mutable, which implies instability. There is nothing stable in any of the 10s as far as I can tell as they fall under the Knights and the mutable domains. Also, 10 is the ending of a phase. It is explained in "Tarot: Beyond the Basics" by Anthony Louis, and also in "Tarot and Astrology" by Corrine Kenner.