Stellar aspects calculator

ravenest

Just a thought (as it would save me a lot of trouble)... does any one know where there is an online calculator (not one that throws up a chart, just the info) that shows steller aspects (I already use astrodienst and Constellation of Words for other 'tools' ) ?

Something like I can type in 12Leo42 and will list the stella aspects to that point on the ecliptic.

(I do have it mapped on a diagram - the signs on a zodiac and the stars and constellations outside that ... I am after an 'automatic' planet / star aspect calculator - not a programme I have to install . )

Melia

ravenest, there's a site called serennu.com that I use which gives listings of aspects (as well as allowing you to draw up info in chart form) that might possibly be of some use to you.

Once you have the aspects list up on screen (relevant to the date/time you are looking at) you can then do a search for 12 le and you should be able to bring up the specific aspects that way. ... if this makes sense.

Minderwiz

Stellar Aspects?

Ravenest,

When you said 'stellar aspects', were you confining yourself to solar system objects (which serrenu.com appears to do) or were you thinking of including fixed stars as well?

If you're just concerned with solar system objects, srrenu.com seems ideal and will suit your purpose well.

If you are looking for aspects that involve fixed stars, then things become more difficult. I use Morinus (which is free but breaks your requirement that you don't need to install anything). The Modern Version (8.04) contains a list of nearly 1,200 stars, which can be individually switched on or off. I think you can use a maximum of 200 at any one time.

Morinus does give you a tabular output for aspects involving the selected stars and the planets at any time and date of your choice. Yes, it will draw a chart for that date (which is against one of your requirements) but it does allow the table to be called up and then saved as a *.bmp file for later printing. A further potential drawback is that Morinus only includes the modern 10 and does not include Chiron, asteroids, other dwarf planets than Pluto, etc. So it won't give you an aspect between, say, Juno and Caput Algol.

I know programs that will but now you're talking serious money. If you do need the fixed stars, then I'd suggest Morinus and Serrenu.com but you'll have to do your own synthesis :(

ravenest

Ravenest,

When you said 'stellar aspects', were you confining yourself to solar system objects (which serrenu.com appears to do) or were you thinking of including fixed stars as well?

Ummm , I was busy and had yet to check Melia's link. Yes the 'fixed stars'.
If you're just concerned with solar system objects, srrenu.com seems ideal and will suit your purpose well.

If you are looking for aspects that involve fixed stars, then things become more difficult.

Mmmmm <nods>

I use Morinus (which is free but breaks your requirement that you don't need to install anything). The Modern Version (8.04) contains a list of nearly 1,200 stars, which can be individually switched on or off. I think you can use a maximum of 200 at any one time.

Morinus does give you a tabular output for aspects involving the selected stars and the planets at any time and date of your choice. Yes, it will draw a chart for that date (which is against one of your requirements) but it does allow the table to be called up and then saved as a *.bmp file for later printing. A further potential drawback is that Morinus only includes the modern 10 and does not include Chiron, asteroids, other dwarf planets than Pluto, etc. So it won't give you an aspect between, say, Juno and Caput Algol.

I know programs that will but now you're talking serious money. If you do need the fixed stars, then I'd suggest Morinus and Serrenu.com but you'll have to do your own synthesis :(

Thanks for that. Serious money being spent is not an option at the moment. I dont use asteroids but Pluto and Chiron are used in my ....... schema .

Oh well, back to ; http://esyria.sy/sites/images/homs/places/105547_2009_11_14_21_22_14.jpg

Minderwiz

Thanks for that. Serious money being spent is not an option at the moment. I dont use asteroids but Pluto and Chiron are used in my ....... schema .

The best I can suggest is that you use Astrodienst for the position of Chiron and then use Morinus for the aspects. It's by no means an ideal solution to your needs but at least it will give you a work around.

Depending on what orbs you allow, you might only need to consult Astrodienst a few times a year as Chiron moves very slowly and the fixed stars extremely slowly.

Melia

I dont use asteroids but Pluto and Chiron are used in my ....... schema .

Just to be clear, the serennu.com website does include Pluto and Chiron in the calculations. It's not a bad website for charting given it's free and doesn't involve any downloading of programs ... even if majority of fixed stars aren't included in the calcs. (fixed stars move very slowly around the zodiac anyway, and aren't hard to calculate by hand if one has no other program for doing so).

Minderwiz

Melia,

I agree with your comment. It very much depends on what the user wants. For anyone who wants a simple free access to aspects involving asteroids, dwarf planets and other solar system phenomena (of which there are many), serennu.com is a very good choice, I'd even say it's unlikely it can be beaten.

From past threads with ravenest, I'm aware of the importance of fixed stars to his approach, which is why I raised the point. I don't want that to appear as a bad reflection on serennu.com.

Over the history of Astrology the fixed stars have played an important role, whereas the other bodies are of recent interest, though there are now many users, probably more than for the fixed stars. It comes down to which bodies are used in your (pural) approach.

Incidentally, There's at least one Astrologer on this site that would argue for star aspects involving parens. that is rising, culminating, setting or anti-culminating together or a combination of any of the other cardinal points. Morinus can't do that but there are programs around that can.