resources for study ~ all levels

Barleywine

Horary Resources

I'm always on the look-out for more worthwhile reference material on horary astrology. So far I have the following horary-specific books:

Christian Astrology, William Lilly
The Horary Textbook, John Frawley
Simplified Horary Astrology, Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson
Horary Astology and the Judgment of Events, Barbara Watters

Amazon has four pages of listings that appear to be all horary books. I see that Bonatti has one, Anthony Louis a couple, also Olivia Barclay, J. Lee Lehman, Chris Warnock, Barbara Dunn, Marc Edmund Jones, Derek Appleby and Geoffrey Cornelius, Simmonite, Marion March and Joan McEvers, C.C Zain, Robert Deluce, Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Geraldine Davis, Raphael, Alphee Lavoie and a handful of Vedic authors. Many of these authors I respect from past exposure, others I have less use for.

Are any of these books particularly recommended? Are there any other books (or blogs) on the subject not listed here that are worth getting hold of?

Chanah

Bonatti should be on your list, as should Sahl ibn Bishr, Introduction to the Science of the Judgments of the Stars.

Barleywine

Bonatti should be on your list, as should Sahl ibn Bishr, Introduction to the Science of the Judgments of the Stars.

Thanks! I've been considering several of Bonatti's books. I don't know much about Sahl ibn Bishr other than the name.

Minderwiz

Thanks! I've been considering several of Bonatti's books. I don't know much about Sahl ibn Bishr other than the name.

Sahl wrote the first book that is definitely horary, so he's well worth the effort. Get the Holden translation, not Dykes' pairing with Ma'shallah.

Of the others I have several and my opinions on them are:

Forget Marc Edmund Jones
Forget March and McEvers

Horary Astrology by Anthony Louis was my very first it's not bad for a first - you might be beyond it by now

Olivia Barclay is of historical importance but is now overtaken by better understanding of Horary - but she made the first attempt to make Lilly accessible and produce something of a commentary. So if you want it, it's one of the very first books in the Traditional revival

Barbara Dunn succeed Barclay as Principal of the Qualified Horary Practioners course. I found her book Horary Astrology Re-examined awkward to read because there's a wealth of information from a whole variety or authors but at times it's difficult to know where it's going and the style isn't good. Nevertheless I've grown to use it as a reference.

Lee Lehman is quite good to read in conjunction with Frawley, Very readable but not sure it's exactly on the money. Worth considering though.

Sue Ward's web site has quite a few articles and she is one of the leading Horary Practioners. I actually got her to join Aeclectic but sadly she didn't stay for long.

She has two sites:

http://www.horary.com/sward/swindex.html

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~sueward/

The latter has a series of articles, many of them free that you can download and she's now posted a couple of videos, which as yet I've not seen. But will download in the next couple of minutes. She used to publish a downloadable magazine called the Traditional Journal but it only lasted a few issues (all of which I have). I'm not sure if it's still available. (it's not free but it's good).

Barleywine

Sahl wrote the first book that is definitely horary, so he's well worth the effort. Get the Holden translation, not Dykes' pairing with Ma'shallah.

Of the others I have several and my opinions on them are:

Forget Marc Edmund Jones
Forget March and McEvers

Horary Astrology by Anthony Louis was my very first it's not bad for a first - you might be beyond it by now

Olivia Barclay is of historical importance but is now overtaken by better understanding of Horary - but she made the first attempt to make Lilly accessible and produce something of a commentary. So if you want it, it's one of the very first books in the Traditional revival

Barbara Dunn succeed Barclay as Principal of the Qualified Horary Practioners course. I found her book Horary Astrology Re-examined awkward to read because there's a wealth of information from a whole variety or authors but at times it's difficult to know where it's going and the style isn't good. Nevertheless I've grown to use it as a reference.

Lee Lehman is quite good to read in conjunction with Frawley, Very readable but not sure it's exactly on the money. Worth considering though.

Sue Ward's web site has quite a few articles and she is one of the leading Horary Practioners. I actually got her to join Aeclectic but sadly she didn't stay for long.

She has two sites:

http://www.horary.com/sward/swindex.html

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~sueward/

The latter has a series of articles, many of them free that you can download and she's now posted a couple of videos, which as yet I've not seen. But will download in the next couple of minutes. She used to publish a downloadable magazine called the Traditional Journal but it only lasted a few issues (all of which I have). I'm not sure if it's still available. (it's not free but it's good).

Thanks for the thorough reply. I believe I did visit Sue Ward's site before. I forgot to mention that I also have The Horary Reference Book Volume 1, by Anne Ungar and Lillian Huber. It consists mainly of lists of associations, not much in the way of guidance. It doesn't appear that there were any more volumes.

Chanah

Bonatti cribbed lots and lots from Sahl. Sahl was a very clear and concise writer. Bonatti - he liked to ramble.

Read Sahl first :)

Another writer I really enjoyed even though she wasn't all that traditional is Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson. Don't take it all as gospel, but she's worth a read, too.

Barleywine

Another writer I really enjoyed even though she wasn't all that traditional is Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson. Don't take it all as gospel, but she's worth a read, too.

Yes, I have that one in a full set of her hardbound volumes that I was gifted last year. The "typewriter font" in the self-published texts drives me crazy, though. At least the horary book has black letters, not the ghostly grey of some of the others.

Minderwiz

Website added to resources

I've just added Hank Friedman's website:

http://www.soulhealing.com/

Hank's forte is reviewing Astrology Software. If you're looking for a program he has a list of virtually all paid for and freeware programs. You might have to dig around a little but it's a mine of software information.

As most members will be interested in the freeware, here's a direct link

http://www.soulhealing.com/freeastrologysoftware.htm

Hank also has some articles on learning Astrology.

daphne

I'd like to add the cool www.widgetsworld.co.uk to the collection !
Free chart interpretations, also partner compatibility and Sabian symbols reports! Yay !! You can post questions with your birth data too. The site requires you to sign up, but it's free.
:D
Bibi x

This site does not exist anymore, I wanted to try it today.
Any other newer sites similar with this (Free chart interpretations, also partner compatibility and Sabian symbols reports)?

(Thank you for all the contributors to this thread, really helpful to read over how to use the astrosite, for instance.)