Free Astrology Software

Minderwiz

Thanks for that info.

The search function used to relate to the main locations for each country but it seems that the database has been significantly expanded. So use the Search function to see if your locations details are in the database. This will greatly reduce the need for search as my home village of Standish is in there as well :)

dadsnook2000

RIYAL "freeware"

Minderwiz had asked that I review RIYAL software for the list. Relative to Horary practices, I don't believe that this software is a good choice for the "typical" members of this list. It is not that RIYAL isn't easy to use, nor is it that RIYAL can't produce a chart quickly and simply for a given date and time.

RIYAL is as much an astronomer's tool as it is an astrologer's tool. It is probably the best positional calculation tool available. It can produce natal, progressed, directed, return, synastry charts for the planets, asteroids and up to some 14,000 deep space objects as well as do locational cartography maps and show sky maps. It offers more house systems and can provide all kinds of data for astronomical events.

For many on this list, at the broad range of typical interest levels and understanding, it is my opinion that RIYAL is both too technically oriented and completely undedicated to the classical, traditional, medieval and ancient astrological practices. These were not part of the focus of RIYAL's creation. RIYAL seems to have started from a strict calculation and positional approach to astronomy as a basis for astrology --- the distinction of this claim may not be apparent to some. Many of the popular purchasable software packages are inaccurate in terms of calculating primary directions or being able to cast right ascension charts, and other charts not typically used in the popular press. Many of these popular software systems cannot cast special progressed charts that research astrologers need. RIYAL does all of these things in spades as well as being able to accurately work across tropical-sidereal-and-precession-corrected zodiacs without getting all mixed up.

For a capable astrologer grounded in spherical geometry, or for an attentive student who will follow specific guidance for a particular charting process, RIYAL is excellent. But, this package does not address classical, traditional, medieval or ancient charting practices or offer interpretation assistance.

Dave

Minderwiz

Thanks Dave.

I was thinking more in terms of its use as a general Astrology program. I accept that Riyal is not geared to a Traditional approach, where both version of Morinus are. Morinus can handle most things but it can't do precession corrections, so it is no use to those trying to duplicate some of your posts in that area. Hopefully some will also buy your book and it's definitely helpful there.

inanna_tarot

Hopefully some will also buy your book and it's definitely helpful there.

Dave/Dadsnook2000 - are you writing a book??! Ooooh now that is astrology heaven!

And I'm happy to explore and have a play with RIYAL too, as that is a program I have never come across before. Once, many moons ago (haha) I had astrowin but I found that had an odd interface, but then I also knew less than I know now about astrology so perhaps it was more due to the dumb-ass user lol.

Lee

Thanks for the instructions Minderwiz, I have followed them all and am now all set up with Morinus. (I have Kepler but for now it seemed easier to simply follow your directions with Morinus than try to figure out how to accomplish the same thing with Kepler.)

Minderwiz

How to change the House System

In Morinus:

Go to 'Options'

Select 'houses'

then choose the house system you want.

I use Regiomontanus, so if you want to duplicate my charts select that one. If you want to see how the change effects a chart try switching between several house systems to see if there's any significant effect

ANY House system can be used for Horary - though the main ones used are Reigomontanus, Alcabitus, Porphyry and Whole Signs.

kalliope

Has anyone successfully installed the Mac version of Morinus??? I'm using OSX Lion.

I ask because I couldn't manage to do it. My troubles seemed to involve needing appropriate versions of Python, wxPython, and PIL. I think it was PIL that did me in. :( I consider myself a pretty good troubleshooter and computer person (without being a programmer of any sort), but this has defeated me so far.

I'd love to hear any success stories or suggestions, if you have them.

kalliope

Minderwiz, I have a Janus question. Do you have it? Or do you only have Solar Fire?

I recently installed a trial copy of Janus (on my virtual Windows machine, via VMware Fusion for Mac, for those interested). You showed us how to get those great term and decan divisions to show on the chart wheels for Morinus, and I wondered if Janus can do the same thing. Do you know?

Also, do you know if you can make Janus stop shifting the house lines over to fit in the planet symbols? I find it ugly and annoying. :laugh:

So far I LOVE how much information you can get about dignities, etc., on the horary charts, though!

Minderwiz

Like you I used a trial version, so my familiarity is not very good. As I've just had to buy a new computer, I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon (though I guess I might now be able to get another months trial :)

I got to the stage of casting horary charts and reading off those dignities, which Janus seems to be really good. I seem to remember that you could also get tables, so that might be your solution. Solar Fire also provides the dignities in tabular form rather than on the chart like Morinus. I think I prefer the Morinus approach, especially as you can switch it off it if gets in the way and easily switch it back on again.

I think Astraea has Janus, so if she picks up this post she might provide a quick answer to your query.

dadsnook2000

For inanna_tarot

inanna_tarot , if you go to my blog site, http://www.ninthhouse.wordpress.com/ you can find very detailed instructions for setting up RIYAL, for casting natal, solar return and the special kind of daily charts that I use.

RIYAL is programmed by one person with a bit of help from others from time to time. It is presented in the before-Windows style of "DOS". While appearing very simplistic it is a very expansive astronomical and astrological calculation tool. It is built for exploring the universe and can deal with thousands of asteroids, centaurs, dark holes, deep space objects, etc. in addition to natal charts, progressions, directions, returns, astrocartography and other stuff (but not traditional, classical, antique and horary astrology.

Dave.
PS, I'm also starting to explore a "new" form of cyclic astrology, transiting Moon to natal Sun Return charts. Right now they look very promising. I've done about 100 in the last three weeks and have posted perhaps 15 on my blog site. My initial impression is that they are quite superior to lunar returns for predictive purposes.