Free Astrology Software

Astraea

Hello, I missed this thread until just now. I have Janus, and it will calculate the dignities and debilities in great detail. I am not aware of any way to straighten out the cusp lines, though!

Practicing Human

I've been trying out the trialware version of Kairon for Mac. It gives you X number of free uses before insisting you buy the license. Can't remember how much they want for the license, though.

If anyone has any feedback on this software, please share.

kalliope

Hello, I missed this thread until just now. I have Janus, and it will calculate the dignities and debilities in great detail. I am not aware of any way to straighten out the cusp lines, though!

Hi Astraea,

I did find the dignity tables that one can copy and print out from the horary charts (or traditional natal) in Janus. They're great, I agree!

What I was hoping to be able to do was get the decans and terms to show on the actual chart wheel, like in Morinus. I like having the visual representation in addition to the tables. I finally found where I could choose from many "custom" versions of the wheels, but didn't see one with decans and terms showing. I haven't tried creating my own custom wheel yet, but I'm not sure those markings are available options, anyhow.

I wish there were a User Manual for Janus, and not just help files!

Lee

I haven't tried Janus yet, but I too would be interested in knowing if it can show the terms and faces on the chart wheel a la Morinus. I find the visual representation very helpful.

Astraea

No, there is no wheel design in Janus that displays decanates and terms (one of the features that I, too, really appreciate about Morinus). And I agree that a printed manual for Janus would be a real blessing, kalliope. Printing the on-line help is an option, but a costly one in terms of paper and ink.

Minderwiz

i did like Janus and I intend to buy it when funds allow - it seems to work very well for horary.

But I'll still use Morinus for those Terms and Decans. I still can't find how to switch between Ptolemaic and Egyptian terms in Solar Fire let alone do the instant switch in Morinus.

Astraea

I still can't find how to switch between Ptolemaic and Egyptian terms in Solar Fire let alone do the instant switch in Morinus.
It's a big headache to switch between those options in Solar Fire - you can only do it by editing the program, and I refuse to go through all of that. So I stick to Janus when I want a printout of the traditional tables - choosing/applying the options is fairly easy and intuitive. Solar Fire is great as a general all-purpose professional program, but to date it is very thin on traditional features.

The Morinus chartwheel showing decanates and terms is a dream come true - you'd think a wheel design like that would be included in all programs that have traditional options.

kalliope

Edited: I moved this question to the Morinus 5.5/6.0 thread.

Not sure if I should put this here or in the Morinus 5.5/6.0 thread, but I have a few questions about reading the aspect table in Morinus:

. . .

LOVE

I dont know if it has been mentioned. There is a cool free astrology software here: http://www.astrowin.org/astro123.htm

If you, like me, have a anti-virus software which does not display the whole page, you can trust it. It is safe.

Vetch

I used the search function for this thread and found no matches, so here goes:

For Linux users there is OpenAstro, which offers some decent basics and good looking charts.

http://www.openastro.org/

Then there is Maitreya, which runs on Linux, Windows and Mac machines and "is a mature Open Source platform for Vedic and western astrology."
Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.saravali.de/maitreya.html

:)