How to best leverage my chart (traditional astrology)?

holdorfold

I've just started getting into traditional/helenistic astrology and find it very interesting. The main thing I want to focus on though is how to use my chart for the best effect instead of just predicting how things will turn out since I'm a firm believer in that we ultimately create our own destiny. So I'm looking for a way to leverage my chart for the best effect to create a positive life for myself.

My chart is here: http://cdn.imghack.se/images/48cd75e915692897b69740b24b5a9e58.jpg

So having a look at my own chart I believe I have deduced the following:

- My chart is dinural and the sect luminary in charge is the Sun. The Sun is also the chart ruler since I'm Leo rising. The Sun is exalted in Aries, above the horizon and in a good house (9th) in the whole house system but in a more difficult house (8th) in the standard house system. The Sun is also angular from the part of fortune (10th) and applying a square to it. I assume this is good.
- The trigon ruler in charge at the moment (since I'm 30 years of age) is Jupiter which is out of sect and in it's fall (Capricorn). However it squares the chart ruler and sectmate Sun (could that be a positive?) and would I be correct in saying it is in dignity of it's sectmate Saturn (since it's in Capricorn)? Also it is angular (7th) to the part of fortune and applying trine to it. Also the Moon, ruler of the POF, is tight sextile Jupiter... just trying to grab some possible positives here!
- Saturn is disposited ruler of Jupiter/sectmate and is out of sect but at least is angular and applying a trine to POF while the Moon (ruler of POF) is applying trine to Saturn.
- The base of the chart is Mars at home in Scorpio, in the right sect of the horizon, is the actual final depositor of all planets, angular in the 4th, aspects the ascendant (square) and has a fairly close albeit seperating trine to POF... (and various planets are applying aspects to Mars i.e. Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus). I assume this is the most powerful planet in the chart.

I'm not sure if I've interpreted everything correctly, but I'm looking for clues in how to best utilise my chart to create a positive life going forward.

Would I be correct in thinking that Mars leverages the whole chart since it's the base of everything? Like would an improvement in Mars have a leveraged knock-on effect on the rest of the chart?

Also, since the trigon ruler of my life at the moment is Jupiter I'm really looking for a way to harness its position. Could you say that embracing Capricorn qualities in my life would make the most of this position?

Any other advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Holdorfold

Minderwiz

It's always a good idea to play to your strengths and guard against your weaknesses, no matter what astrological approach you use. You shouldn't see that as separate from the forecasting side, though. You need to have some idea of what you may have to deal with.

I can and will go over your chart but to go into anything that is much more than superficial it would help if I had your natal details (Time, Date, Place),which allows me to carry out the necessary derivative calculations,

If you don't want them made public, send them to me in a PM

holdorfold

Thanks Minderwiz, PM sent!

Minderwiz

Thanks!!

I'll do a quick run through tonight and come back to it again tomorrow.

Yes the chart is diurnal so the Sun is the Sect light. Using whole sign houses it's placed in the ninth house and it's in the confines of Venus.

It's exalted in Aries and it's in it's own Joy both of which are very positive factors, as you said. The Sun's Domicile Lord is Mars, which is the out of sect Malefic, and that's not particularly good news. That Venus is the Confines Lord helps but Venus is the out of Sect Benefic and her good influence will not offset Mars' bad influence.

The Sun is the Ascendant Ruler, so Mars bad influence is going to be stronger.

This won't wipe out the strength of the Sun's exaltation and joy but it will take something of the shine off it. The Sun is clearly trine to the Ascendant which is good and square to the Lot of Fortune, also good. That the Lot itself is averse to the Ascendant is not so good.

As it's a Day chart, the first Trigon ruler of the Sect Light is The Sun itself. (Jupiter would only take the first rulership if it was a night chart).

Jupiter is not out of Sect. It's a Day chart and Jupiter is a diurnal planet. That Jupiter has set was of minor importance, as is the fact that Jupiter in Capricorn is in a nocturnal sign. Those two factors became much more important in Arab Astrology and I think they were overplayed quite a bit.

Jupiter is your Benefic of Sect. Jupiter's placement in the sixth means it too is averse the Ascendant, so the good it does is likely to be partial rather than global. You are likely to be somewhat lucky in regards to health or to servants. At worst you have a well positioned planet to dampen down harm (the sixth is the House of Bad Fortune so hopefully your luck will stave off the worst that could happen. That will indeed be aided by Jupiter being in the place of a Sect Mate. Saturn would lend grudging support and the Sextile from the Moon is good,as the Moon is a benefic and accidentally the ruler of the Lot.

The problem area of the chart is the fourth house. That contains both malefics. Saturn is the Malefic of Sect and so would tend to neutrality, though it is retrograde. Mars is the Out of Sect Malefic and is the biggest threat. So Home and Family are likely to be your problem areas. That could well extend to real estate, when you buy or rent.

The main focus of your life is likely to be ninth house activities. That of course can encompass Travel, Divination, Mystical matters and possibly rulership of some kind (such as a prominent position in a company or public body).

I've not looked at the connections there, so I'll do that tomorrow and perhaps say something about the current 'state of play'.

holdorfold

Thanks Minderwiz,

My home and family were problem areas for me from the age of 9 when major league problems happened in my family (revolving around my sister) which left deep impressions on me. That influence for me stopped when I left home at 18. Thinking about it, since then I’ve lived in a Mars like boisterous environment with young men and all that entails. In my early 20's I even had to defend my house from an invasion of about 10 men after trouble followed us home from a pub (and I live in a nice neighbourhood). Also, the only woman I've lived with since happened to have about 5 planets in Scorpio. Recently though things have finally settled down to an extent.

Ninth house stuff is definately a focus of mine. My faith is very important to me. In mundane matters, rulership as you say has been a driving force for me in terms of running my own company. I really don't like working for anyone else and I have a vision of having a successful company with me at the helm which I really need to make happen. Also, I live in the UK now (since the age of 13) but was born in Canada, that might be a 9th house thing.

I do wonder about whole sign houses though. Using whole signs puts my Jupiter in the 6th and my Venus/Moon in the 8th! Before they were in the 5th and 7th respectively, so quite a change there. I kind of notice both systems in play in my life. For instance, my Sun is in the 9th whole sign and I can see how that manifests. But in say equal houses it's in the 8th and my dad died about 7 years ago (sun in the 8th) and I inherited an expensive flat from it which seems quite fitting as well.

I heard that a planet is in a type of sect (in its own light) when on the proper side of the horizon as the Sun. So Mars under the horizon in a day chart means it's in its own light or Jupiter under the horizon in a day chart it's not. Could this apply? Regardless, is Mars being out of sect going to to make it a negative influence despite it being in its domicile and in a feminine sign (and in it's own light)? Also it trines the POF, I wonder if that helps. I just learned about term rulership and Mars is also the term ruler of the Ascendant degree. It also rules the Sun and Ascendant decans and is the final depositor of all planets so it seems quite important in the chart. Is there anything that can be done to improve it or is there any implications?

Cheers!

Also, it might be worth noting that I used to get in lots of fights stupidly in my early 20's because if I got a little angry it would completely take me over and I'd do something stupid. I even had to go to court once over it. But I consciously worked on myself and studied anger management and I'm a completely different person now. So I guess you could say I consciously improved my Mars which functions much better for me now and I never loose my temper. People would comment on how I completely changed and that was through conscious effort and study. Infact, I'm almost a little too laid back now, I'm trying to revive my drive a bit haha

Minderwiz

Thanks Minderwiz,

I heard that a planet is in sect when on the proper side of the horizon as the Sun. So Mars under the horizon in a day chart means it's in sect or Jupiter under the horizon in a day chart is out of sect. Is that incorrect? Regardless, is Mars being out of sect going to to make it a negative influence despite it being in it's domicile and in a feminine sign?

Sect is simply whether the chart is either diurnal or nocturnal. The diurnal planets are Sun, Jupiter and Saturn. The nocturnal planets are Moon, Venus and Mars. So Jupiter in a day chart is in Sect, no matter where it is placed. The Hellenistic Astrologers thought that Jupiter above the horizon or in a diurnal sign in a Day Chart was 'bonified', that is it got a little better. Being below the horizon or in a nocturnal sign (like yours) was the opposite, it got a little worse but these changes were relatively small nuances.

By the time of the Arab Astrologers, around 800 Ad onwards, these conditions became more seriously taken and they developed the concept of 'Hayz' - that is a Diurnal Planet in a Diurnal Chart (Sect) plus being 'correctly' placed above the horizon and in a masculine sign. This was much stronger than the original Hellenistic concept and only lasted through the early to middle medieval period. So treat Jupiter as being in Sect. Being below the horizon or in Capricorn is minor. Being in the sixth, though is much more serious, as Jupiter has no aspect to the Ascendant.

holdorfold said:
I've also heard that after your first Saturn Return the secondary trigon ruler of the Sect Light takes over (Jupiter in my case). Is that something we can ignore?

The original view was that the two trigon rulers took the first and second parts of your life. The Co-operating Trigon ruler (Saturn for the Fire signs) would 'assist' in both periods. In your case that would be Sun and Jupiter as the main rulers and Saturn assisting. By the medieval period there was a development to dividing life into three parts and having the three trigon rulers take turns (in your case that would be Sun, followed by Jupiter, followed by Saturn).

In both cases the division was not into equal parts and the Saturn Return was not taken as a dividing line in either.

holdorfold said:
btw: It's correct that home and family were problem areas for me, but only from the age of 9 when major league problems happened in my family which left deep impressions on me and then until 18 when I left home. But then after that thinking about it I've always lived in a Mars like boisterous environment with young men and all that entails. In my early 20's I even had to defend my house from an invasion of about 10 men after trouble followed us home from a pub (and I live in a nice neighbourhood). The only woman I've lived with since happened to have like 5 planets in Scorpio. Recently though things have finally settled down to an extent.

Ninth house stuff is definately a focus of mine. My faith is very important to me. In mundane matters, rulership as you say has been a driving force for me in terms of running my own company. I really don't like working for anyone else and I have a vision of having a successful company with me at the helm which I really need to make happen. Also, I live in the UK now (since the age of 13) but was born in Canada, that might be a 9th house thing.

The Mars effect will be felt only as long as there are consistent Time lords - that is something activates Mars or the fourth house. It won't necessarily be a constant though there may be long periods when it is effective. One of the differences between the Tradition and Modern Astrology is that Modern Astrology tends to see all planets as constantly in action to a significant extent. Peaks in activity will occur during transits or secondary progressions. The Tradition can see a planet as being inactive for a period, even a long period until there's a relevant Time Lord, or Primary Direction or Solar Return.

In general terms though, the fourth is your vulnerable area over your lifetime and the ninth is the area you will probably see as your life's focus when you look back. Those should not be seen as constant or always the top priority or top threat. It's a general statement. The timing would depend on the Time Lords or other factors.

holdorfold said:
So in regards to Mars, since it's the final depositor of all planets and for instance the immediate deposited ruler of the Sun... is there anything that can be done to improve it or does that have any implications?

Cheers!

The idea of a 'final dispositor' is a modern one. You will not find it metioned before the twentieth century. However, Mars as the dispositor of your Ascendant Ruler, will have a significant effect over the ninth house. But be aware that in Aries, the Sun is more powerful than Mars in a Day chart. It's the Exaltation Planet and the Triplicity Ruler. In the Medieval scoring, it would be awarded seven to Mars' five. In the none scoring Hellenistic system, it would still be a match for Mars. What's more Mars does not aspect the Sun, so there's no affliction. In fact Mars doesn't afflict any other planet except possibly Saturn, mildly because it is copresent. That being said, Mars is in a close square to the Ascendant (hour marker). You would need to take care of your health and beware accidents, fevers, or cuts

holdorfold

Thanks, that clears up a few things that were confusing me.

Your reply is to an earlier version of my post, you must have been writing it while I was editing. I added a few more things like how I think Mars gave me a bit of a temper, but then I overcame that later on.

In regards to whole houses, is it possible that two house systems could be having an effect? I mentioned in my previous post after editing that in the equal house system my Sun is in the 8th, and my dad died about 6 years ago and I "inherited" an expensive property from that (it was fully paid for by his life insurance payout), which seems fitting for Sun in the 8th. I've been renting out the property making good money on it since (also makes me think of the relationship with the 4th house Mars). Yet the Sun in the 9th also fits for certain things too. (this also applies to other planets changing houses using whole house vs equal)