The large Thoth deck in the White Box - A different "energy"?

Rusty Neon

Hi folks ... I've seen the cards from the Thoth deck in the white box and they definitely seem like they might have a different _energy_ to them (because of their relative crudeness) than the more recent and morely nicely photographed, colour balanced cards that I have (U.S. Games purple box, medium size, with the three Magicians). (I didn't sense that the difference in energies had as much to do with the size differences between the cards.)

Has anyone sensed an appreciable difference in energies between the two styles in their readings? Or is the difference just a novelty that wears off?

Astraea

Me, too

Rusty Neon, I have noticed this difference, too. The cards in the large white box have a "raw" feeling, whereas the newer ones seem more refined and civilized. Like you, I don't know whether this perception reflects the novelty wearing off, or what -- I suspect it might be a bit of that, added to the fact that the newer cards are (as you note) color-balanced, with a slicker card stock. It's an interesting question. I bought the newer deck recently because my others are so old and I wanted to preserve them (I've had them since 1988), but I went back to using them because the new ones don't feel as direct, and I don't resonate as deeply with them.

Melissa`

About two years ago I knew someone who had the larger version of the Thoth. At that time I didn't know much about Crowley, much less the fact that he had a deck. My friend passed over a bundle of silk which held the cards. I had this creepy feeling as I started fumbling through them. Perhaps it was just the green tinge, was never fond of green, least it wasn't my first choice in color. Recently when I bought this deck, I bought the US games version. No creeps, no chills. I don't really know how to explain the vibes. As a lot of people here have already stated that they have had similar experiences, yet not sure what causes them. I know I would like to know what it is about the larger cards that causes most of us to get bad vibes.

Blessings,
Amaya

jlbvt

I have the greenish deck too, and I get a funny vibe from them- but I just thought it was because I was in a bad relationship when I got them. I don't get tham out very often, but I still think they give me a better reading than the nicer ones in the purple box. They just give me a creepy feeling (the greenish ones) so I am sort of nervous just about getting them out. I can't really explain it, but I am scared of that deck! Wierd.

Emily

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets creeped out by the large green Thoth in the white box lol.
I bought these cards second hand but they had been looked after, the first time I took them out the box I felt strange. Then after handling them for a few seconds, I felt sick. It took all my nerve to put them back in the box.
Those first few moments stayed with me, when I handle these cards, I feel the hairs rise on the back of my neck, my hands feel dirty, and I do feel sick.
I really wanted to get to know these cards, I love the designs and the look of them so I bought a standard sized deck. When they first came I was nervous in case I felt the same way but these cards are very different, I can actually use them without feeling sick. lol And they are proving to be my favourite deck for reading and meditation.
I don't use the large green one at all ( don't touch it unless I have too), although I have moved it nearer to my other decks in case it was feeling like a 'castaway' lol :)

paradoxx

First of all i have the larg eediition Thoth deck that came in a green box. these cards do have the edging and the Ordo TEmpli Orientis logo on the boxes back. ISBN 0-913866-15-6 (heh, lots of sixes there, Crowley would chuckle). I don't know if this is the "white box" that is being talked about here or not. clarification would be nice.

second, my advise on clearing the cards, get some incense and candles and encircle the cards with an arrangment of fire and strong scents. reorder the cards (unless you can't handle it) and make sure that all are upright.

third, the color green: Green is teh color of money. teh OTO eye is the same general eye on teh back of the US Dollar/Great SEal. Many negative attributions of this symbol have been proclaimed (I have to like it, i share a june birthday with the great seal and have the mystic eye on the left hand. The eye that is upon me is the eye that is a part of me). Satanists also like the color green because of its association with money, greed, and manipulation therof.

fourth. In the LWB for the Thoth it describes an OGD invocation "I invoke theee, IAO, that thou wilt send HRU, teh great Angel that is set over the operations of this secret Wisdom, to lay ihis hand invisibly upon those consecrated cards of art, that thereby we may obtain true knowledge of hidden things to the glory thine ineffable Name. Amen."

Whereas i am not sure what HRU stands for to the OGD or anyone for that matter i do have knowledge about the current meaning of IAO. Military intellegence, headed by none other than John Poindexter (remember Iran-Contra), now has a brand new Information Awarness Office and their seal logo is, an eye above the pyramad of socities build overseeing the earth.

My point, i'm not sure. but the IAO acronym is kind of creepy to see in this decks LWB.

The eye is upon you.

paradoxx

So IAO is an acronym for Isis, Apophis, and Osiris. with that information known I have learned that Isis is related to Virgo as Apophis is Scorpio while Osiris is related to Sol according to the OGD rites i have found. Considering the obvious connections America has to Egypt and Rome(look on the back of the dollar) I do not think that the new miilitary intelligence is a friendly Office of Information Awarness.

Crowleys interpretations may not be exact to the OGD but this is something to watchout for when dealing with this deck. Not only that but the IAO(The government office) has a very unreal feel to it.

http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/NWO/Paranoid.htm
read the paragraph below the logo for a definite chill down your spine. But the truth is, the IAO Seal works as a very well a spread template and Crowley would be proud for good and for ill.

that was a pain to type out for some reason.

But after searching for the Thoth Tarot i have found this White Box (Which i Do not have) and even over the internet the energy is very unreal and potentially dangerous. The Energy that this thread questions could be the publisher (Llewllen vs. U.S. Games) and certain Llewllen decks do in fact give a strange feeling if left unchecked. Not only that, but somwhere on this forum it is referred that Crowley said "That the moon was the most dangerous card of the Tarot", whereas I am not sure if that was accurate, Llewlens logo is in fact, the moon, perhaps Crowley was unintentionally warning people that any card that represents Llewllen (see the exctra card in teh Shapeshifter Tarot) is the card of unreprised evil (or something like that).

This opinion does not reflect that of the managment or of any other living or dead concious life form. All rights reserved.

Emily

Hi Paradoxx,

The white box large green Thoth has the ISBN 087728 4520.

I have tried various ways of cleansing my deck, smudging, sea salt, sunlight, moonlight. None of these ways has worked, infact I've just got the deck out to check the ISBN number and its done it again, I sit here feeling slightly sick lol
I'm glad that I did get my small Thoth because this is a nice deck to use and at first I thought I'd got a problem with Crowley and his reputation, now I know I havent.

princessofp0wer

hmmm.

I have the Thoth deck in the big white box. Got it when I was in middle school. I love it, actually. The cards feel good to me. It's my favorite deck for doing personal readings. I've never even felt the need to look up meanings of the cards when reading. They just speak to me.

I'm baffled as to everyone else's reactions to this version of the deck :/ Perhaps it's a combination of nervousness about Crowley's reputation and feeling less threatened by things published by Llewellyn?

Hmm :(