My thoth deck

Johnny Arcana

My Thoth Deck

I LOVE MY THOTH DECK, USING THE RIDER DECK IS LIKE LOOKING AT CARTOONS.

Ruby7

I know what you mean (at least i think I do) 'cause I felt the same way about Pamela Colman-Smith's drawings for a long time and always avoided Rider-Waite decks, I used a Thoth deck. But then something changed for me and I love my Universal-Waite deck now.

So here's my question, is it the actual drawings or the colouring of the drawings that you don't like? I still don't like the colouring of the original Rider-Waite. Just curious. Ruby7

lawguy51

I have respect for both decks. But for me, RWS is high school and Thoth is University. And sometimes, I definitely feel like going back to high school!

Lawguy51

matfav

The difference between the two decks is simply that Crowley "fixed" his cards only to be read a certain way. The key word of the card statefies and labels the image exactly- no variance is posssible. In the Crowley deck it forces you to look for patterns of energy and to always read the cards right side up.

Whereas the rider is somewhat fluid.

The reason the rider deck works so well is that the images cannot be locked into the contemporary modern environment, in other words you can not look at a card and say oh yes that looks like someone I know. This stops the subconscious psychic mind into tainting a reading and forces you to read clairvoyantly.

isthmus nekoi

Re: My Thoth Deck

Johnny Arcana said:
I LOVE MY THOTH DECK, USING THE RIDER DECK IS LIKE LOOKING AT CARTOONS.

LOL, I'm sorry, I love Rider Waite, but that honestly made me laugh out loud.

Alobar

matfav said:
...in other words you can not look at a card and say oh yes that looks like someone I know. This stops the subconscious psychic mind into tainting a reading and forces you to read clairvoyantly.

and the Thoth deck does?! i'd like to know who you know that looks like the Thoth's Fool! :laugh:

i'm sorry, but the RW deck looks like a coloring book. the symbolism is simple and thin, and it invokes nothing 'special' in me whatsoever. and all the silly 'blinds' really put me off.

just my opinion.

Sulis

Alobar said:
and all the silly 'blinds' really put me off.

just my opinion.

You've lost me here. What do you mean by 'blinds'?

Crystalmynx xx

Johnny Arcana

Excelent my children! All good opinions.....................

Aun

Re: My Thoth Deck

Johnny Arcana said:
USING THE RIDER DECK IS LIKE LOOKING AT CARTOONS.

Thoth is my fav deck as well...

However, those RW cartoonish images have an amazing power of speaking literaly in certain situations... I just cant ignore that!

Peace,
Aun

paradoxx

The Cosmic Tarot is kind of a merging of Thoth and RW with a bit of unique crativity involved. I see this as on the job training, maybe Job Corp, Although if i were to really say it plainly, it could almost be Military Training.

I enjoy the Thoth, but after a go through the deck a couple of times, the energy just needs to recharge for a while. Thoth is a very direct deck and does relate to University Life very well. Very intense and detailed.