Faceless art -- spawned in slime?

firemaiden

How interesting, Kiama, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

It certainly is interesting to hear more about the context in which he wrote. We are re-acting to a private correspondance, not knowing the private references and in-jokes that might be coming up here. This bit Qlipoth bith helps a lot. Keep the insights coming, Kiama!

Macavity

Yeah, Now that Kiama mentions it, these "Larvae" do seem to figure as denizens of something Qlipothic? The Tunnels of Set (qv)? The nightside of Eden (qv)? and all that good stuff? :D I see they even get a mention in the appendix of Donald Kraig's "Modern Magick" Book. Along with "Empty Ones" and so MANY categories of little nasties (sic) that one hopes NOT to invoke accidentally! Although not obviously "of" the Thoth Tarot, I sense a lot of Liber 231 stuff might be important to the Major Arcana? "As we know" Qlipothic genii are used by DuQuette on his Majors Arcana in Ceremonial Magick Tarot. Perhaps we can look forward to a full explanation with e.g. Paul Hughes-Barlow's (shortly) forthcoming book which should be more orientated towards the Thoth Tarot? I hope to get my hands on a copy anyway... :)

FWIW, The only card of the Thoth's (not so, IMO) "faceless ones" I have qualms about is F.H.'s Robo-Cop take on the hanged man? Perhaps it is indeed alluding (As was observed) to the Ancient Egyptians and (as we already know) Osiris. But Hey, MY Ancient Egyptians all HAD faces, albeit with sometimes odd perspective! I did recently learn that Crowley demoted his Hanged Man to being the "Dying God" of the old Aeon? Something else he "despised"? A truly dead parrott? So maybe there IS something particular about THAT card (And indeed some others) that he wanted stated in the artwork?

I see DuQuette singles out (FM's) original quote - For being as being as BAD as it gets? :D GMTA? But (for the officianados) he also extracts many of the little correspondance snippits which are fun and IMO surprisingly informative. Perhaps Crowley-isms used to bother me more? But, as Duquette observes, on this very quote: "Why don't you say what you really mean, Mr Crowley!" :laugh: But I didn't have to live with A.C. - Given recent advice, I should maybe be greatful? })

Macavity

Kiama

Macavity said:
I did recently learn that Crowley demoted his Hanged Man to being the "Dying God" of the old Aeon? Something else he "despised"? A truly dead parrott? So maybe there IS something particular about THAT card (And indeed some others) that he wanted stated in the artwork?

Indeed, very true. In the Book of Thoth Crowley says as much, although as usual it is in riddles!

Inana said:
It seems to me he was trying to approach the demonic side...

But i dont really know much about Crowley, so maybe you are right. Anyways your thoughts here are interesting.

It does very much look like that from an outside perspective, but once you delve into his writings and philosophy it becomes clear that the opposite was in fact the case! (Crowley: never known for being straight-forward!)

The whole point of Thelema (the philosophy Crowley created) is to gain 'Conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel', and to face up to your inner demons (your demonic side) in order to integrate them into your psyche in a safe way, so that they do not become bottled up and inevitably turn into dangerous neuroses.

I've just remembered: my friend wrote an article about Crowley, if anybody would like to read it:

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/A.M.Holland/pagan/aleister_crowley.html

It might shed some light on Crowley's life and works. :D

Kiama

Inana

Kiama,

Thanks for the explanation. Im going to check that link!
I find all this subject very interesting and want to learn more on Crowley and Thelema. The bit i've read about Crowley works and his own writtings are a bit confussing...