One deck's reading on a different deck?

bswb97

Hi everyone,

I learned to read tarot about 20 years ago but haven't really done it in about a decade. Yesterday, my friend gave me a spontaneous reading that seemed kind of cryptic -- neither of us could really figure it out. However, when I pulled out my old deck and transposed the cards, it "felt" right (the main thing being that she drew a 7 of Swords in her deck, which has a much different meaning in mine).

Has anyone ever tried to interpret the same results with a different deck? What was your experience with it and did it feel like it worked? I know the tarot is an intensely personal experience so this really seemed to line up for me. At the same time, I usually stayed away from reading for myself because of unconscious bias, and I don't know if I'm just seeing things that aren't there.

Love to hear your thoughts on it. I can provide more card specifics if that helps.

page of ghosts

I do this all the time if I feel like it would help to see the spread in a different deck. A lot of the time it can be quite enlightening to see the same cards by another artist. Maybe they've focused on an aspect of the meaning the other card didn't and that can help me see things more clearly and pull the reading better together. I don't have any good examples but this is something I find very fascinating and it can help you in studies in general when you compare cards like that. What is the same, what is different? What does it mean when they focus more on this aspect over that one? Disclaimer: I do read mostly for myself so my thoughts on this is obviously coloured by that.

barefootlife

Sometimes I'll pull out another deck for a visual comparison, because that can make things pop out that went unnoticed before. I also keep a notebook of the interesting meanings I get with my cards, regardless of deck. If something is stumping me I'll go there first for reference. Meanings don't always cross over (many times they don't), but it's still an interesting repository of ideas.