Asking Tarot about other people or world events

RainatDayBreak

One of the things I'm still not clear about is which questions are appropriate to ask. For example, it is okay to ask a question about another person that is completely unrelated to you (so this isn't a "how does X feel about me" type of question) when that person did not ask you to do a reading.

For example, a couple weeks ago, I asked whether a friend would get this job he wanted when said friend did not ask me to do a reading (and I did not relate the result of my reading to the friend). I thought the cards were unequivocal that he would get the job, but he didn't. Then I thought that maybe the result was wrong because I wasn't supposed to ask questions that have no relevance to me.

I was just browsing the "Your Readings" forum, and there were several readings about the Trump presidency. I'm assuming those types of questions (about world events) are okay?

Please educate an ignorant newbie. Thanks! :)

JMI_Tarot

I think all questions are okay, it's what you do with the answer you get that's important.

I would refrain from ever offering unsolicited advice or predictions to friends and family for sure. But I see no harm at all in having a look for yourself and keeping it to yourself. It's a good way to practice your craft.

Same with doing readings for public figures. I'm not gonna call the newspaper and tell them what I saw in the cards, but it's interesting to see if it plays out and how accurate and detailed I could get. That can be excellent practice.

---------------------------------------------
Just read some other opinions below and I want to amend this a little:

Your intent matters. Are you just being nosy, are you trying to manipulate someone? Then yeah, it could be unethical to use the cards that way. But these are things you have to work out for yourself, like all your actions in life.

gregory

These are what is known as "third party readings." Whether it is OK or not is entirely down to your personal ethics. Especially in the case of "how does he feel about me." :D

CrystalSeas

Some people think it is unethical to read cards for someone without their knowledge.

Some people think it's ok if the person doesn't know that you are reading and that you keep the information to yourself.

Some people think it's ok to read for public figures but not for private individuals.

Some people think it's ok to read about private individuals as long as you have (or desire) a personal connection with them.

Some people think it doesn't matter what questions you ask and who you read about because Tarot isn't a 100% accurate prediction.

Some people think it doesn't matter because you aren't really reading their mind. If you could actually read other people's private thoughts without their knowledge, it would matter.

Some people think it's just fine to ask any question about any person and there's no ethics involved.

You're going to have to decide what your own values are. Like many other issues of personal morality, there isn't any agreed-upon answer within the Tarot community, much less the rest of the world.

Metafizzypop

I was just browsing the "Your Readings" forum, and there were several readings about the Trump presidency. I'm assuming those types of questions (about world events) are okay?

Hmm, I wonder if this is why Donald thought that his phones were wiretapped, and he was under surveillance. He musta found out about all those tarot card readings.......

barefootlife

Agreeing with the above. What's 'okay' to read about is entirely down to your personal sense of ethics. I won't pull cards for a question that focuses on the thoughts and feelings of another person instead of the querent. It makes me uncomfortable, and I don't think it's particularly useful. If someone on the boards has done a reading like that and is asking for thoughts on it, sometimes I'll give mine, but that's mostly because I think once you've opened that door, you'd better try to find the most correct conclusion.

Pulling cards for a public figure, on the other hand, is okay, because that reading is never going to affect any relationships with that public figure. It's pretty much fun speculation.

Basically, I consider myself a card reader, not a mind reader, and I believe that if you want to know what someone in your life is thinking or feeling, it's better to ask them than a deck of cards. But that's me, and it's fine if other people do what they want to do. The rules are the ones you make for yourself.

headincloud

We are free to do whatever we choose but what we choose may cross the line between black and white magic and that line doesn't depend on our morality or personal opinions.

BlueSun

I think all questions are okay, it's what you do with the answer you get that's important.

I would refrain from ever offering unsolicited advice or predictions to friends and family for sure. But I see no harm at all in having a look for yourself and keeping it to yourself. It's a good way to practice your craft.

Same with doing readings for public figures. I'm not gonna call the newspaper and tell them what I saw in the cards, but it's interesting to see if it plays out and how accurate and detailed I could get. That can be excellent practice.

---------------------------------------------
Just read some other opinions below and I want to amend this a little:

Your intent matters. Are you just being nosy, are you trying to manipulate someone? Then yeah, it could be unethical to use the cards that way. But these are things you have to work out for yourself, like all your actions in life.

I really agree.

Grizabella

One of the things I'm still not clear about is which questions are appropriate to ask. For example, it is okay to ask a question about another person that is completely unrelated to you (so this isn't a "how does X feel about me" type of question) when that person did not ask you to do a reading.

For example, a couple weeks ago, I asked whether a friend would get this job he wanted when said friend did not ask me to do a reading (and I did not relate the result of my reading to the friend). I thought the cards were unequivocal that he would get the job, but he didn't. Then I thought that maybe the result was wrong because I wasn't supposed to ask questions that have no relevance to me.

Please educate an ignorant newbie. Thanks! :)

As others have said, it's your intent that counts. :) Also what you want to do with the information you're seeing in the cards. In order to recognize the messages you get from your readings, you have to maintain an open mind because if you're constantly limiting yourself for this or that "don't", then your focus isn't in the right place. So, good intent and keeping an open mind are the best ways to measure whether a readings is the "right" thing to do or not.

page of ghosts

I've been reading Joan Bunnings book and there was a chapter about reading about other people and events. Most of the time I read cards for introspection (I've been thinking of reading about characters in books or films or tv-shows for fun though) so as of now it's not somnething I think a lot about, but I thought the three questions were interesting and if I was to consider such a reading myself this is probably something I would refer back to:

http://learntarot.com/less9.htm