Gender neutral Significator?

Tallulah

Hi everyone! I have an issue I've been pondering.

I have a friend who identifies as non-binary and I would love to do a Lenormand reading for them. Now with tarot or playing cards I would usually go for a suitable Page/Jack and have had fine luck. However, outside of the actual suit characters on the Lenormand I can't really settle on an appropriate non-binary card as a significator.

Should I choose a card based on the appropriate Jack (what I'm leaning toward)? Or does anyone consider a certain card (or cards) as gender neutral while also being appropriate to use for a significator?

Looking forward to getting people's input on this! Thank you!

Padma

Try the Dog card (loyal friend or person), or the Child card :) (Most children are asexual, or at least, androgynous - that is how I view them - children, to me, have no sexual genre/profile/expression - I just see them as sexually unevolved humans...in that their sexuality is not yet categorized or expressed).

MandMaud

I'm (very!) far from being a Lenormand expert but my first thought was Lily. Not sure why since it's family, but that is at least human beings and of either sex. :)

(Hi, Padma!)

1Eleven

Could you let your friend choose the card they resonate most with? You could also simply allow the deck to choose for you... just a thought.

danieljuk

great idea from 1Eleven, I would get them to choose as well.
There is an old thread on here about Lenormand cards for LGBT folk here Okay this is not exactly the same thing but some of the ideas in the thread about what the cards represent, might help!

Final idea from me, some decks have extra cards or a blank card! they might want to be a blank card.

I decided in my own readings to have the Gentleman to represent me and Lady to represent a future partner or love interest, even though I am not straight. They are abstract symbols, not literal but it's worth spending some time working out what they feel represents them best, but they don't define anyone exactly :)

dancing_moon

I use the Child. Just like Padma says, children are relatively asexual, and the Child card is a Jack, too. ;) This is also one of the Lenormand's 'default' significator cards anyway, so using it isn't detracting much from the reading.

Tallulah

Thanks everyone for your input!

I like the idea of using the dog. This person has even claimed to have "dog energy" so it really makes sense.

I considered the child but it seemed strange to use the child for a sexually active person.

If I can get them to sit down with me and go through the cards that would certainly be the most ideal situation. Unfortunately we are working long-distance at the moment. While they are familiar with tarot they haven't worked with the Lenormand and aren't familiar with it at all.

Thanks again, everyone!

Glass Owl

In the Enchanted Lenormand there is the Diviner card, which I think could be used for the significator. At any rate, it allows the Man and Woman cards to be used to represent other people.