How do you store your decks?

Winterchild

I don't keep the boxes, so mine are all in pouches, each pouch is different so I can find my decks. I have photos of each in its pouch online, listed by name. As I have 115 decks and use them all. Without a system I could never find the right one.

Bascically, they are currently divided between 5 places, Each of my night tables next to my bed has 2 drawers in it. SO they are in each of the 4 drawers. And the remaining ones are on top of my dresser (which is recessed into the wall with doors that close over it.)

Babs

Oh my, were that I could be so organised... that idea of the pouch and deco photos is fantastic!!!

Winterchild

I used to place each deck into a tarot bag bought or made by me. I did like to keep them like this. As my collection grew I was faced with the disadvantage - as my decks were in bags and I kept the boxes as well - I needed double space to store them. So I put most of the decks back in their original box :-(
I keep them on bookshelves, drawers. I like easy access to them. Finally I decided to buy only decks that I really like , to get more selective. Reasons for it are many; one of them is storage.

I flatten all the boxes and put them away on a bookshelf or somewhere safe.... just in case I ever decide to sell a deck :) Flattening them does no damage at all and they are easily rebuilt!

SunChariot

Oh my, were that I could be so organised... that idea of the pouch and deco photos is fantastic!!!

Well if you have 115 decks and you use them all, you have to be organized!!! LOL

Otherwise when you know which one you want and you want to find it, you're not going to open up 115 pouches and look around in each till you find the right deck. Also it takes me a list just to remember which decks I have or sometimes exactly what they look like.

The photos look more or less like that (image below), with a couple of the cards underneath, and the middle one showing the back. It jogs my memory.:grin:

i have them listed in Evernote.com in by category (Tarots, Oracles, Angel decks and playing card decks) and in alphabetical order. Makes it easy to find things,....There is a hyperlink to the photo of each deck embedded in its name., So if I want to see one, I just click on its name and up comes the photo. Actually works well for me as a system, easy to find everything.,

Babs

Attachments

• Mary007.jpg
    Mary007.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 113

Richard

Right now I'm having to use Canadian whisky bags for decks with are boxless, but I think boxes or tins provide much better protection.

WyrdRaven

I have just been forced to move out of my home of thirty years (double wide mobile home) and into a tiny shared apt with a miniscule bedroom (10x10). So now I can update my response. All decks are now in Staples cardboard storage boxes, with lids, stacked in the closet. No room for clothes (I have gotten rid of most of them). Everything else is in storage. Now the trick is rooting through the boxes, one at a time, looking for the deck I want.

Spacin55

Tarot Deck Storage

I keep my Tarot decks in a chest of drawers. Plastic tubs would be easier but not very aesthetically pleasing, not to mention *plastic* ugh not very organic. I have cats, so storing them with bags with ties hanging out in wicker baskets- kitty heaven- toys, scratching post and bed all in one, lol. No mice problems, though! I usually toss the original boxes if they are mass market stuff; but the ones from Karen and Alex, say, or other limited edition or collectibles I keep in the original boxes. I love trying to match up a bag with the theme of the deck, like Tarot of the Vampyres has a dark grey velvet burnout with red and black roses on it, the Druidcraft has a dark green bag with twining ivy leaves, Bohemian Cats has a bag from Baba Studios, etc.

I just wanted to let folks know, that if you are storing the cardboard tarot boxes or cloth covered decks in direct contact with the wood of a drawer or wood storage box, put a liner of plain cotton cloth or acid-free paper down, the acid in the wood will eventually leach into and discolor the cardboard or stiff paper and the bags. I know this because I have researched archival storage for linens, and framing valuable prints-always want to go with something that will be acid-free. Just something to think about for long term storage or large collections like Gregory's that don't get moved around a whole lot.

figure8

For the decks I actually use (as opposed to only study) I normally buy decks from specialty stores and they usually sell tarot storage boxes right next to the tarot cards. For average size cards I use these inlaid wooden boxes. http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mpgZV83GEJhxGBnJy9SnrKw.jpg

For oversize decks I go to import stores to find interesting carved wooden boxes. http://www.themysticcorner.com/images/Wooden_Box_6.jpg

I don't wrap the cards in a silk scarf because of the karma energy connected to using animal products. Sometimes a wooden box might be lined with velvet and I like those.

Nowadays I try to buy more locally made products from craft shows. The woodworkers usually have interesting stories of where they sourced the wood too.

Keep them all in bookcase with other books.

Glass Owl

Storage is a CD tower - I need to upgrade to a full-width bookcase! - or inside a cabinet next to the CD tower. They like to live close to each other.

Since posting in this thread, my collection has been rearranged a bit. I have added a wooden CD tower also. Right most sections hold three decks, although they can house up to five if they are stacked differently. I like spinning it around and seeing various decks.

Ryver

I throw away the boxes and store my decks in pouches. I made almost all of them with an inner lining of natural undyed flannel but the outside of each one is unique no matter what the lining so I know which deck is which at a glance. Those are all on a shelf over my bed.

Calcifer

While I was poking around over at The Wild Unknown FB page, I found this pic that I'd posted here (many moons ago). It is the box that the people over at DragonOak made for me to keep WU and Rider in - along with a black silk reading cloth and other divination toys.
No matter what, despite their silence, you just know that those guys are checking us out over here (since this is the only place I ever posted the pic)...

Hope this link works...
https://www.facebook.com/1415788425...1578842536876/648289658532456/?type=1&theater

Michael