Greater Arcana Study Group—The High Priestess

Richard

Probably Case wanted to reserve the moon for the Empress because of the allusion to Revelation 12:1. "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars." The Crowley moons don't fit the description.

Richard

Could her horned crown be an allusion to Taurus, exalted in the Moon? This could give her an additional interesting connection to the Hierophant, an adjacent path.
Even more interesting in view of the fact that in earlier decks, the Priestess was called Popess and the Hierophant Pope.

Zephyros

Probably Case wanted to reserve the moon for the Empress because of the allusion to Revelation 12:1. "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars." The Crowley moons don't fit the description.

Well, they wouldn't, since from Crowley's perspective Revelations has already occured.

Yelell

Death by autocorrect, I know it well. The crown with the waxing/waning moons & full moon in between - The Thoth High Priestess & Empress both seem to have similar crowns. Across decks there's some overlap between the two.

Unless that headress is supposed to be more like Isis or Hathor; but that seems to be horns and the sun, not the moon at all.

kwaw

"She represents also the Second Marriage of the Prince who is no longer of this world;"

Wow, some of this is pretty cryptic. Here's another reference to a "Prince" but I don't think it's the same prince that was encountered with The Fool. There it says "a prince" and it's not capitalized; here it's "the Prince" and capitalized, seeming to be a reference to the Cosmic Christ. I double checked the original text and it's the same there so I don't think it's a misprint.

In Christian terms the first marriage represents the first covenant, between Israel (as Bride) and the Law (torah); the second to the second covenant, between the church (as Bride) & Christ. Thus she represents not only the Old Covenant (represented by the Torah) but also the New Convenant... (?) Thus possibly as you say the capitilized Prince as reference to Cosmic Christ. (see, for example, Romans 7:1-6)

Typological this may be compared to the second marriage of Abrahan to a foreigner, which has been said in both Jewish and Christian interpretations as the blessings of God being for all (not just Israel), and his tent being open to all who wish to enter it.

Abrac

What could be the meaning of the solar cross on her breast?

kwaw

The Solar Cross may symbolize the 'light of all' which she borrows/reflects, as the Moon does that of the Sun?

(Not sure but the Solar Cross may be from Papus? I seem to recall he makes mention of such.)

kwaw

The Solar Cross may symbolize the 'light of all' which she borrows/reflects, as the Moon does that of the Sun?

(Not sure but the Solar Cross may be from Papus? I seem to recall he makes mention of such.)

“The woman is crowned with a tiara, surmounted by the lunar crescent, she is enveloped in a transparent veil falling over her face. On her breast she bears the solar cross, and upon her knees lies an open book, which she half covers with her mantle.”

The Tarot of the Bohemians by Papus, p.113

Though more probably both Papus & Waite drew it from Levi:

“It is well known that the hieroglyphic figure on the second Tarot card is still called the female pope, being a woman wearing a tiara on which are the points of the crescent moon, or the horns of Isis. On example in the protestant book is even more remarkable: the hair of the figure is long and scanty; there is a solar cross on the breast; she is seated between the two pillars of Hercules; and behind her flows the ocean, with lotus flowers blooming on the surface of the water.”

The history of magic by Eliphas Levi, translated by A. E. Waite.

Anyone any idea to which 'protestant book' he is referring too?