RWS symbols...more

cdabs

I did a reading for a friend the other day...and while explaining to her what I found, I noticed the bandages in the "Eight Of Swords," if you look at the card from the bottom up (left to right)form the Roman Numerals "VIII" (including the blindfold), which is the designation of the card.

Also picked up on this the other day: In the "Nine Of Cups"...the rotund gent has his arms folded, but if you follow the line of his arms, they form (more or less) the lemniscate (sideways-8).

I wasn't aware of the "crown" in "Temperance" until I read it in a book. Very cool. I also was not aware of the one boot, one shoe thing in the "Seven Of Wands." In the Radiant-RWS, his left foot/boot is planted in a small flow of water, right foot/shoe is on ground. He's also taking more of The Magician's stance with right arm raised, left arm lowered. Very cool stuff.

Fulgour

hi cdabs

You'll need to look at a regular RWS deck but...

VII of Pentacles ~ different coloured boots
VII of Wands ~ different shoes (like you said)
IV of Pentacles ~ shoes are un-tied

And then, take a real close look at
The Knight of Wands... one leg?

cdabs

Boots'n'shoes

Yes, I saw the cards you mentioned; thanks for pointing those things out.

The Seven Of Wands boot vs. shoe thing was pointed out by someone else in this forum and I hadn't noticed it before. He's got that boot on the left foot..which may allude to more protection and the shoe (untied?) on the right foot which is more open/less protected.

It's like the character didn't have time to get his other boot on before the six wands were swatting at him...and he grabbed the first shoe he could find...just so he could get out in the fray and defend himself. Pictures can be worth 1,000 words, can't they?

ArcanoMáximo

hey! i had not that of the 8 of swords!!!!!!Thanks cdabs!

and have you noted the skull in one of the cups of the 7 of Cups?
the "W"in the hido of The Hirophant?
the little heart in the horse of the Knight of Swords?
and the alussions to the wine and cigarette in The Devil?
and the head of the eagle in the Fool's bag?
and that the man of the 7 of Wands is actually a gigant?
the signal that the dead man of the 10 of Swords(= the Hierophant) is making with his hand,
the figures in the table of the Magician?
the snail in the 9 of pents but its spiral form in The Death and the "giant snail" in the same Wheel of Fortune card?
the "8" obove the Magician but also above Strenght like saying: here starts the other cicle!
the other dove incrusted in the same cup of the Ace of Cups?
and the places of the PCS' signature in each card?
and the scenery cards?(5 Swords, 9 Wands, 4 pents etc...)
and many more!!!
Yes, i agree, is a very special and enigmatic deck, isn't?:)

Chiara

Fulgour said:
And then, take a real close look at
The Knight of Wands... one leg?

He is also the only knight with two eyes.

ArcanoMáximo

is true! thanks Chiara!

Is AMAZING!
But even so there are readers that don't like this deck by consider it too much evident, but it isn't. I think that is one of the more subtles!

Just, for instance, take the 6 of cups.
There you have a very particular patron very clear at least in three levels:
the high house(with aspect of tower) and the short, the vessel in the high and the other in the hand of the "man",
and the "man" or "boy" or, as Rachel Pollack says: the midget, and the girl, shorter...do you note the similarity?...do you think that is casual?
And just see another very strange thing: the neck of the boy is very long for a human!
Of course you can say that is a mistake in the design, but why isn't in some of the other cards too?...
Just some questions:) !!!

Fulgour

ArcanoMáximo said:
Just, for instance, take the 6 of cups. [...] Of course you can say that is a mistake in the design, but why isn't in some of the other cards too?...
Hello :) Arcano! I sometimes look at the 5 of Pentacles
and wonder if this is the 6 of Cups children grown up..?

:) I started a new thread on just this topic:
Do these Children become those Adults? - Aeclectic Tarot Forum
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=924066#post924066

Also I wish to say~Hello :) Chiara!
I love your observation on 2 eyes!

Rosanne

Can anyone discern what is hanging from the left hand sleeve of the Queen of Swords? I do not think it a tassle, but sort of looks like beastie of sorts? The right sleeve ornament is bigger resting on the throne. ~Rosanne

Aoife

Rachel Pollack in 78 Degrees of Wisdom says:
"The tassel hanging from her left wrist [the side of experience] resembles a cut rope [compare the Eight of Swords]. She has used the sword of her intellect to free herself from confusion, doubt and fear: now, although she frowns at the world, she opens her hand to it"

Rosanne

Thanks Aoife! ~Rosanne